News ‘You can’t do that’: Barrett demands answers over ‘contentious’ Broncos tries

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
‘You can’t do that’: Barrett demands answers over ‘contentious’ Broncos tries
Bulldogs coach Trent Barrett will be seeking “some answers” from the NRL over two Broncos tries in his side’s 16-10 loss on Sunday.

Bulldogs coach Trent Barrett will be seeking “some answers” from the NRL over two Broncos tries in his side’s 16-10 loss on Sunday.
The Bulldogs led 10-4 in the second half until Broncos gun Herbie Farnworth scored back-to-back tries.

The first of Farnworth’s tries came off a contentious strip. Bulldogs centre Braidon Burns was tackled to the ground by Farnworth and Payne Haas, while Albert Kelly may have had a hand in it as well.

Payne dropped off after Burns had hit the ground and Farnworth stripped the ball before running 50 metres to score while a confused Burns looked around.

“They’ll want to check it,” Fox League commentator Warren Smith said.

“There were three in the tackle initially, but they all dropped off, Farnworth ended up with it and he runs away to score for the Broncos.”

Fox League analyst Michael Ennis said it was “fine”. However, Smith said “Burns was on the ground going nowhere, you could make a case that the tackle was completed”.

The try was awarded.

“He makes minimal contact, he’s on the outside shoulder but will that be enough?” Ennis said.
The bunker gave the try the green light and the Broncos all of a sudden took the lead.

“That’s a big call,” Ennis added.

Barrett didn’t shy away in his post-game press conference and even brought up the two incidents himself.
“I thought we should have iced that game and we had our chances,” he said.
“The two tries, the strip — the contentious one — and the obstruction off the scrum.

“You can’t do that and that’ll be something we’ll need to get some answers on because I don’t coach the players to lie down… maybe I will now.”

Asked why he thinks the bunker allowed the second try, Barrett said: “I have no idea, but I’ll ask because he led with the outside shoulder at Braidon Burns.

“Okunbor thinks he’s got help coming but he didn’t. It’s in the rule book. You can’t do it and it cost us bad.”

Meanwhile, Broncos coach Kevin Walters conceded his side probably did get lucky with that call but believes they were also on the receiving end of some harsh calls.

“We got a little bit of luck there I guess,” he said.

“I know that ‘Oatesy’ did pull back on it… we’ll definitely take that one, but could have gone the other way.

The__GM

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I don’t want to defend Trent and his usual making excuses but he’s not wrong. It was the mirror image of the Foran milking a penalty in Round 1 as the Panthers attacked the right edge and I believe Crichton was called back for a no try/ penalty. Because Foz fell over, whereas Burns just puts his hands up and then try’s to run around Oates, it’s “play on” and not obstruction/ try confirmed.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It was a no try everyday of the week...

Saw a try in the Eels v Sharks game where Moses was taken out on his inside shoulder just like how TPJ did in the trials.. Yet it was awarded a try.

Games are rigged, we know that, only way to win is ensure you score off every chance u get and we didnt do that.

bulldog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Sad to say but he needed to hit the deck to make it obvious. Flail around, carry on like Mitch Moses or DCE, hit the ground waving like a drowning man and the try is disallowed, he did himself credit to keep his feet and try to cover but the offence was clear as day and should have been picked up.

craigo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He demands answers from the NRL. The fans demand answers from him why he keeps picking shit players. How many more chances do they get?

Malla

Reaction score
The disappointing thing is it happened right in front of the ref and he let it go. When we questioned him he said 'they will check it' which he is removing responsibility and putting it back on the bunker. I don't agree with that. If he called it a no try, it would not have been given a try.

No excuse though. We had enough opportunity to win by 20 points.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Will they take the 2 points away and award them to us? - no.

Time to learn and move on.
Not calling it outmakes it easier to do it next week without controversy. Hopefully Gould makes an issue of it too.

John Matrix

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Not calling it outmakes it easier to do it next week without controversy. Hopefully Gould makes an issue of it too.
That is true, saying that nothing will change imo unless you're the storm, roosters or panthers.