News ‘You can’t do that’: Barrett demands answers over ‘contentious’ Broncos tries

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Yeah I thought he was over the line. 99% of the time they would check that unless it was conclusive that he was held up or short, which I didn't think it was so I don't understand why they didn't go upstairs.
I’m sure TPJ scored he would have insisted, must have been just short

Philmus

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah I thought he was over the line. 99% of the time they would check that unless it was conclusive that he was held up or short, which I didn't think it was so I don't understand why they didn't go upstairs.
theres no way the ref wouldve been able to tell, there were bodies everywhere. send it up and get a conclusive answer, dont just dismiss it because you're not sure. thats a rubbish call. if hes short, hes short. like i said broncos get a breather while they look and we lose momentum. as it was TPJ was questioning the ref but still played the ball quickly to try and keep us on the front foot and was just ignored. in a game where everything is slown down to the absolute nth degree and calls made over a blade of grass, to not have a look at it is negligent on the referees behalf

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
theres no way the ref wouldve been able to tell, there were bodies everywhere. send it up and get a conclusive answer, dont just dismiss it because you're not sure. thats a rubbish call. if hes short, hes short. like i said broncos get a breather while they look and we lose momentum. as it was TPJ was questioning the ref but still played the ball quickly to try and keep us on the front foot and was just ignored. in a game where everything is slown down to the absolute nth degree and calls made over a blade of grass, to not have a look at it is negligent on the referees behalf
I'm with you brother!! It's still baffles me that it wasn't looked at.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Oh I think you do...just like many others of us especially those at the game...:tonguewink:

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Since every team is coached to dive and the dumb fuck refs fall for it 9 times out of 10, we should dive too.

You have to play dirty in a dirty, corrupt game.

100%, but only when it's an obstruction like the one yesterday. You need to make it obvious for the refs because they are so dumb.
But if it's not an obstruction, don't try to milk it. Milk it when it's a clear obstruction

JackDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Baz is wrong. He said Okunbur thinks.
Knoconbur doesn't think. He does give up on the chase though. Did it both times. I've wondered previously if he's in the wrong sport and maybe try track and field...nope he's too slow and no drive.

Can we end the experiment NOW, please?

Bull Terrier

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I was at the game and enjoyed watching the boys play. Rather a win off course. Ref was 50/50 which is rare for us we are usually hated by refs. Broncs were very lucky, If Okunbur did not play the win was ours. His selection now is the difference in wining and losing. I hope Baz wants to win. We now have a competitive team. Well done boys

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
‘You can’t do that’: Barrett demands answers over ‘contentious’ Broncos tries
Bulldogs coach Trent Barrett will be seeking “some answers” from the NRL over two Broncos tries in his side’s 16-10 loss on Sunday.

Bulldogs coach Trent Barrett will be seeking “some answers” from the NRL over two Broncos tries in his side’s 16-10 loss on Sunday.
The Bulldogs led 10-4 in the second half until Broncos gun Herbie Farnworth scored back-to-back tries.

The first of Farnworth’s tries came off a contentious strip. Bulldogs centre Braidon Burns was tackled to the ground by Farnworth and Payne Haas, while Albert Kelly may have had a hand in it as well.

Payne dropped off after Burns had hit the ground and Farnworth stripped the ball before running 50 metres to score while a confused Burns looked around.

“They’ll want to check it,” Fox League commentator Warren Smith said.

“There were three in the tackle initially, but they all dropped off, Farnworth ended up with it and he runs away to score for the Broncos.”

Fox League analyst Michael Ennis said it was “fine”. However, Smith said “Burns was on the ground going nowhere, you could make a case that the tackle was completed”.

The try was awarded.

“He makes minimal contact, he’s on the outside shoulder but will that be enough?” Ennis said.
The bunker gave the try the green light and the Broncos all of a sudden took the lead.

“That’s a big call,” Ennis added.

Barrett didn’t shy away in his post-game press conference and even brought up the two incidents himself.
“I thought we should have iced that game and we had our chances,” he said.
“The two tries, the strip — the contentious one — and the obstruction off the scrum.

“You can’t do that and that’ll be something we’ll need to get some answers on because I don’t coach the players to lie down… maybe I will now.”

Asked why he thinks the bunker allowed the second try, Barrett said: “I have no idea, but I’ll ask because he led with the outside shoulder at Braidon Burns.

“Okunbor thinks he’s got help coming but he didn’t. It’s in the rule book. You can’t do it and it cost us bad.”

Meanwhile, Broncos coach Kevin Walters conceded his side probably did get lucky with that call but believes they were also on the receiving end of some harsh calls.

“We got a little bit of luck there I guess,” he said.

“I know that ‘Oatesy’ did pull back on it… we’ll definitely take that one, but could have gone the other way.

I hate to say I told you so about the referees, TBaz is correct questioning their dubious decisions.
But let us not forget the most crucial questions...
Why was the score so close ?
Did we have to lose before we drop Okunbor ?
When are we going to realise Averillo isn't a halfback ?
Can we see despite playing well JMK still isn't a good hooker ?
Time to make the brave decisions TBaz !!!

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Love that Baz called out cheating teams like Parra and Manly. The officialdom has spent loads of time explaining to players and coaches the outside shoulder rule. Teams train based on that explanation. So to then have the fundamentals of that rule ignored in the Bonkos try is a complete fail and needs to be called out. Baz managed to do that and at the same time call attention to teams that DO coach their players to fall over. The Bunker shouldn't need player theatrics in order to do its job.

It could pay off down the track, we may have a try against us disallowed when it counts sometime later this season.

RookieDog

Dogs1
Reaction score
The strip started when there were two in the tackle - watch the footage, it’s clear.

That should have been a penalty to us, not a try.
They changed that rule.

It's now legal to start with 2 or 3 or whatever in the tackle.

Provided only 1 in tackle at precise moment the ball is stripped, it's legal.

Teams practice with the extra players letting go just at the right time.

Having said that the tackle on Burns was complete - or at least ref should have called tackled.

If it's stripped (1 on 1) when the tackle is complete then its a penalty to the side originally in possession.

Last edited:

Haddaway

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
We got dudded big time, and it cost us the game.

I hate all that we had our chances crap, sure we did. But the fact of the matter is we still got dudded and they cost us the game.

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
They changed that rule.

It's now legal to start with 2 or 3 or whatever in the tackle.

Provided only 1 in tackle at precise moment the ball is stripped, it's legal.

Teams practice with the extra players letting go just at the right time.

Having said that the tackle on Burns was complete - or at least ref should have called tackled.

It it's stripped (1 on 1) when the tackle is complete then its a penalty to the side originally in possession.
Yep exactly.

Technically video ref can’t overrule because he wasn’t called held.

I didn’t have too many issues with the 2 tries up for debate. We had a thousand chances to ice that game.

We should have scored more than 20 points given the work our forwards did.

Malla

Reaction score
So what happens when he hits the lead runner and you have okunbur comiting to the runner out the back as you say?
That’s the inside defenders job
Ie yesterday burns had him covered hence why he was obstructed
Are you trying to be a smart ass or did you start watching footy last week?

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
The strip started when there were two in the tackle - watch the footage, it’s clear.

That should have been a penalty to us, not a try.
The strip rule needs to go back to the original definition one on one not three or two in the tackle then they drop off

Disposable Hero

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
i want to know why they didn't bother to stop the game to check and see if pangai actually got over the line? he got up celebrating and they didn't bother to have a look? worst that happens is its short, no try and he plays the ball and we lose momentum. best case he's scored under the posts and the scores are level. but it was just dismissed completely without a second look
Thats were we need to bw smarter and cauze a scene make them check. Follow melbournes lead.