News ‘Wrong decision’: All Blacks legend Steve Hansen takes aim at Dogs board after Barrett axing

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Champion All Blacks coach Steve Hansen has taken aim at the Canterbury-Bankstown board for starting the search for a fourth coach in five seasons in the wake of Trent Barrett being forced out of Belmore.

Hansen, the All Blacks coach who won the 2015 World Cup, has worked for the Bulldogs as a high performance consultant for the past 18 months and has a strong opinion of Barrett as a head coach.

Barrett was only 18 months into a three-year contract when the Bulldogs opted to issue the coach with an ultimatum — either walk or it’s going to get ugly.

“It’s the wrong decision. It’s a shame really. Yes the results haven’t been what they wanted but there’s a lot of reasons for that and I don’t think it’s Trent Barrett’s coaching,” Hansen told Fox Sports.

“However there’s a lot of pressure on the club and when it’s like that you need everybody to stay strong and face into the breeze and work through the issues that are there and come up with the right solutions.

“This will end up being there fourth coach in five years so it doesn’t make sense to me.

“Trent’s a good coach, he’s not the finished product by any stretch of the means but he’s going to be a very good coach.

“I’ve been lucky enough to deal with a lot of young coaches in my time and he’s one of the better ones.

“It’s not the answer. The answer is about fixing the problems that are a lot greater than just the coaching.”

Hansen coached the All Blacks in 107 Test matches, winning 93, drawing four and losing only 10 for a win percentage of 88.79 per cent.

For the past 18 months he has worked as a sounding board for Barrett as the Bulldogs have struggled for on-field results winning five out of 34 matches since the beginning of 2021.

“If you go back to my very first statements when I got involved with the Bulldogs you’ve got to have stability for a club to grow and get strength,” Hansen said.

“And when you’re constitution allows your board to be dropped every two years then you’ve got board members who when things aren’t going right they get twitchy.”
One of your best Steve, a bit rich coming from a former All Blacks coach that expects and demands a huge degree of success and would almost certainly get the flick after a handful of losses let alone the amount Trent has suffered.

Surely there is a reality there for Steve that not making any improvement after 18months factoring in an improved roster year-on-year is not ok??

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
18 months and 2 off seasons to shape the squad and prepare the team and Barrett won a grand total of 5 games, 1 wooden spoon, and we are again favourites for another spoon... piss off, kiwi

and if Barrett has seriously been wronged by us, then there must be a host of clubs wanting to sign Barrett in a coaching or technical role, right? I'm waiting...

Stinger

Kennel Established
Reaction score
NOT THE FINISHED PRODUCT BY ANY STRETCH?? OK Steve. Why don’t you guys then assign Barrett to take over the coaching of the All Blacks. He’s not the finished product but he’s a fast learner and will make a good All Blacks coach one day in 10 years time.

Stinger

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Agreed mate.

The board thing is a mess. If the board don’t get short term success they are gone. So how do they make long term decisions ????

No one will agree but I would actually give the next coach a 5 year deal. Baz made panic signings this year to save his job and it’s put us in another shit position. You can’t expect long term success if you are worried about your job all of the time
No let’s give the next coach 10 years even better. Come on Howie ffs

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I assume that Hansen would be a bit sad that his money train left the station without him. I don't know what he was earning from us, but it was probably too much given he didn't seem to help Barrett a great deal.

As far as Barrett being an unfinished coach, that's absolutely correct. But the NRL is no place for a head coach to be learning the ropes to the extent where their team can't score three converted tries even against poor defensive opponents. Yes the players are to blame to an extent. I've even heaped blame on refereeing for throwing spanners in the works when we're building momentum. And while both of those things are true IMO, we still lacked support play for the bulk of games (an absolute necessity for any league team). We lacked the fitness to guts out these periods where we were under pressure and as far as tha goes Barrett should have asked for changes to his staff knowing that it was an issue.

In the end I don't give a crap about what the three hundred and seventy five people who've commented on this so far think. You can't just keep someone on that's not getting results in a results based industry. Even with everything else against us, 12% is an atrocious record for wins.

habs

xdf
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
Barrett should feel let down by mmBop Hansen and the Ferris wheel. Gus said it best - he watched and advised. The standards needed to lift. Their careers were on the line. He didn’t want to sack anyone. He wanted everyone to pull their heads in and set new standards.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
If you read what he has actually been quoted as saying, it's a reasonable opinion given but the media sensatìonalise every single thing someone says and he should know that. We need to keep that it mind.

Plus with all this unnecessary posting and new threads of all the media "personalities" pile on of our club by the Murdoch media etc that have taken over The Kennel of late, we need to keep this all in perspective.

The club and Gus had a very difficult situation to deal with.

Barrett was the perfect young coach for Gus to mentor and help out. There must of been some reason that that didnt happen. Maybe Baz wouldn't seek, or rejected, help.

I'm sure it would have been easier from Gus' perspective to keep Baz and get everything done his way and not have to worry about a pesky new coach wanting to throw their weight around and ascert themselves at their new club. That happens now with a new coach. I think Gus would have preferred Baz stay if Gus was a selfish guy and put himself before the club to make his job easier.

Yet this didn't happen. Barrett resigned, or was given the option to walk. Can only conclude that Gus knew the pressure on Baz was too great to try and remedy the situation and that he fundamentally couldn't help him all that much.

Hansen let Barrett down as well by not getting hands on in his guidance. He saw what was going on and the pressure Baz was under yet didn't meet up with him to personally discuss his troubles.

Now he publicly blames and finds fault with the club and has allowed himself to be used as a pawn in the media blitzkeig against the Bulldogs.

That's pretty unprofessional all round from him.

Pass.

RookieDog

Dogs1
Reaction score
Champion All Blacks coach Steve Hansen has taken aim at the Canterbury-Bankstown board for starting the search for a fourth coach in five seasons in the wake of Trent Barrett being forced out of Belmore.

Hansen, the All Blacks coach who won the 2015 World Cup, has worked for the Bulldogs as a high performance consultant for the past 18 months and has a strong opinion of Barrett as a head coach.

Barrett was only 18 months into a three-year contract when the Bulldogs opted to issue the coach with an ultimatum — either walk or it’s going to get ugly.

“It’s the wrong decision. It’s a shame really. Yes the results haven’t been what they wanted but there’s a lot of reasons for that and I don’t think it’s Trent Barrett’s coaching,” Hansen told Fox Sports.

“However there’s a lot of pressure on the club and when it’s like that you need everybody to stay strong and face into the breeze and work through the issues that are there and come up with the right solutions.

“This will end up being there fourth coach in five years so it doesn’t make sense to me.

“Trent’s a good coach, he’s not the finished product by any stretch of the means but he’s going to be a very good coach.

“I’ve been lucky enough to deal with a lot of young coaches in my time and he’s one of the better ones.

“It’s not the answer. The answer is about fixing the problems that are a lot greater than just the coaching.”

Hansen coached the All Blacks in 107 Test matches, winning 93, drawing four and losing only 10 for a win percentage of 88.79 per cent.

For the past 18 months he has worked as a sounding board for Barrett as the Bulldogs have struggled for on-field results winning five out of 34 matches since the beginning of 2021.

“If you go back to my very first statements when I got involved with the Bulldogs you’ve got to have stability for a club to grow and get strength,” Hansen said.

“And when you’re constitution allows your board to be dropped every two years then you’ve got board members who when things aren’t going right they get twitchy.”
Hope Barrett's quitting or sacking or whatever it was doesn't cause Steve Hansen to step down from his excellence role at the Dogs.

Not sure exactly what Steve does, but obviously he's doing it well and earning his $$.

If Steve were to step down, I can foresee us slipping down the table and I even had a nightmare last night that we were running last.

Please don't go Steve - I don't want my nightmare to come true - stay and keep up the good work.

Ant2611

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hold on... we made the wrong decision of Barrett resigning? Does he mean Barrett made the wrong decision?

I guess its confirmed that Hanson is gone.
You'd never know........very rare we here from him, we should all be honoured ......that he is bagging the club......

Malla

Reaction score
You'd never know........very rare we here from him, we should all be honoured ......that he is bagging the club......
Fuckin joke. The fat dog got paid to have conference calls with Baz talking about life and making the odd trip to Belmore (once) lol fuck up! The idiot had the easiest job in the world coaching the all blacks.