News ‘Wrong decision’: All Blacks legend Steve Hansen takes aim at Dogs board after Barrett axing

djdeep4172

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Champion All Blacks coach Steve Hansen has taken aim at the Canterbury-Bankstown board for starting the search for a fourth coach in five seasons in the wake of Trent Barrett being forced out of Belmore.

Hansen, the All Blacks coach who won the 2015 World Cup, has worked for the Bulldogs as a high performance consultant for the past 18 months and has a strong opinion of Barrett as a head coach.

Barrett was only 18 months into a three-year contract when the Bulldogs opted to issue the coach with an ultimatum — either walk or it’s going to get ugly.

“It’s the wrong decision. It’s a shame really. Yes the results haven’t been what they wanted but there’s a lot of reasons for that and I don’t think it’s Trent Barrett’s coaching,” Hansen told Fox Sports.

“However there’s a lot of pressure on the club and when it’s like that you need everybody to stay strong and face into the breeze and work through the issues that are there and come up with the right solutions.

“This will end up being there fourth coach in five years so it doesn’t make sense to me.

“Trent’s a good coach, he’s not the finished product by any stretch of the means but he’s going to be a very good coach.

“I’ve been lucky enough to deal with a lot of young coaches in my time and he’s one of the better ones.

“It’s not the answer. The answer is about fixing the problems that are a lot greater than just the coaching.”

Hansen coached the All Blacks in 107 Test matches, winning 93, drawing four and losing only 10 for a win percentage of 88.79 per cent.

For the past 18 months he has worked as a sounding board for Barrett as the Bulldogs have struggled for on-field results winning five out of 34 matches since the beginning of 2021.

“If you go back to my very first statements when I got involved with the Bulldogs you’ve got to have stability for a club to grow and get strength,” Hansen said.

“And when you’re constitution allows your board to be dropped every two years then you’ve got board members who when things aren’t going right they get twitchy.”

djdeep4172

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Everyone is in denial.
So many new recruits this years and last.
Pick of the bunch ado Carr and burton.
The rest have robbed us blind.

Benno Bulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
So he's saying Barrett didn't resign, emphatically criticising the board and attacking his employer, Hansen is walking it seems.

Philmus

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
fuck off then you thief, been more than happy to take a wage from us for 2 years but done sweet fuck all to earn it. the only time we hear from you is when you want to publicly heap shit on our club.

mr j

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Hansen saying that Baz isn’t the finished product is exactly the reason why he was let go. In the NRL you need coaches who are ready, not learning their craft. If Baz is learning he should coach in the UK where demands are not as high as the NRL.

Dingo

Go the dogs
Gilded
Reaction score
We don't need him around anymore

Ribo Flavin

Kennel Established
Reaction score
You would have thought he d be pleased the club took action to address the lack of on field success under his watch, whatever that entailed.