News ‘Worst thing that happened’: Dogs’ Flanagan problem laid bare amid legend’s Burton fear

Cappuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
In order to follow directions one first has to be given those directions, you are assuming that he is not following certain directions that you (personally) think that he has been given. What we don’t know is what directions he has in fact actually been given. He may well be following the directions that he has been given perfectly to the letter and that why he is being picked each week. What coach would continue to pick a player every week who wasn’t following his directions, not Ciraldo I don’t believe.

Always a Bulldog
But what if we didn't watch a young Flanagan play?

Chrisaaar

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If Flanno was being told to not play like a half back then we haven't signed the right coach.

A halfback is able to pick up the slack / provide some basic organisation skills when the other half is having a bad game.. now if burton has a bad game we 100% lose the game because we have no one else driving the ship.

This is what shits me with Flanagan, he puts in defensively but we need more. What happened to the trial performance where he was making a few runs and did an excellent cut out pass to knockonbur to score in the corner? He hasn't even attempted that in 4 rounds!

Teddybear

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Comon mate, eyes up footy a halfback needs to lead, count numbers of opposed defensive sides and have a crack
In order to follow directions one first has to be given those directions, you are assuming that he is not following certain directions that you (personally) think that he has been given. What we don’t know is what directions he has in fact actually been given. He may well be following the directions that he has been given perfectly to the letter and that why he is being picked each week. What coach would continue to pick a player every week who wasn’t following his directions, not Ciraldo I don’t believe.

Always a Bulldog

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
You're casting further doubt on the coach if that's the case.

Whatever the case...it's not working...and hasn't for some considerable time TT.
No I am not Wendy, a simple example, let’s say Ciraldo has told Flanagan that he is the 3rd string kicker (in general play), that Burton is the primary kicker and Mahoney is the secondary. Which is exactly what Flanagan is doing, he defers to Burton and Mahoney. If he decided to assume the role of primary kicker then Ciraldo would quickly pull him into line or drop him. A large number on here complain endlessly that Flanagan doesn’t kick enough (number of kicks & distance), but obviously Ciraldo has other requirements of Flanagan that he is equally obviously doing, otherwise Ciraldo would drop him.

We (myself included) are not always right when it comes to what a player is doing or not doing and whether or not that is what the coach wants him to do. The only measure of whether they are doing what the coach wants is whether they get picked or dropped. In this case the answer is obvious.

Always a Bulldog

Last edited:

Benno Bulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The club got absolutely grilled for benching Flannagan mid game and dropping him thereafter last year for inept performances, this is despite NRL being a performance driven industry - if he wasn’t a former coaches son with media influence, no one says a thing, it’s a business… but, we copped it hard for what was appropriate action taken in my view.

Adding Anasta and the entire fox panel were first cab off the rank laying the boot in for dropping Flanno and apparently ruining his confidence etc… mind you, players like Dearden, Tanah Boyd, Sean O’Sullivan, Josh Shuster etc we’re also dropped but made successful returns to NRL, it’s not the end of the world.

Fast forward to season 2023…. And guess what, the muppet show and others have all realised Flanno has had 3 years and near 50+ caps with the Dogs to stamp his authority and claim as a genuine half/NRL footballer, however, he’s offered zero in attack without exaggeration. Does the media apologise for their over-reactionary view? Of course not, they make ridiculous excuses like “the game changed from structure to ad-lib”… really? It’s ridiculous, you’re either a footy player or you’re not. Footballers adapt to any style… let’s just all agree the poor bloke, who tries extremely hard (and has accomplished things I can only dream of) simply doesn’t have the game to be a top class half in this league - we need to move forward and find someone who can.
Game day ye fkn ha …Smartest move the club has made recently recruiting Mason, and Graham both have strong media voice through podcast and we now have a voice to at least keep the fox guys in check…Gould is clever club has a lot of voice going out atm…The Flange finds himself at the crux of this clubs rebuild not good to be the incumbent with junior pathways as the Mantra of the coach. CC approach to KO debut will be telling for how the club will proceed with pathways to first grade. Pressure or Process but fuck all that dogs by 6.

Ant2611

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Everyone can see the problem but the coaching staff don't drop him because the available replacements are worse overall. Worse for the team who have trained all season with him and worse for the replacement player who isn't ready to play at NRL level for 80 minutes, every week, week in week out.

Always a Bulldog
I'd at a guess would say Flopagun isn't ready to play 80 mins week in week out, from what I've seen and looking at his station it's more like 5 .......

NQ Dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I don’t mind that @djdeep4172 continually copy’s & pastes articles from FB, I just wish he’d add them to the previous thread he created, there doesn’t need to be a new thread because it’s generally just the same rehashed information ..
Is there a prize or trophy for most threads on here?

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Most halves would struggle behind our pack atm. Flanno is plain shit but wouldn’t look as bad if our forwards were winning the ruck
I’m sorry but that is garbage. We won the ruck against the Tigers and dominated the game and he still did nothing.