News ‘Worst thing that happened’: Dogs’ Flanagan problem laid bare amid legend’s Burton fear

djdeep4172

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Canterbury Bulldogs’ attacking woes have been brought into focus after a mixed start to the season with question marks emerging over halfback Kyle Flanagan’s ability to lead the team.

Cameron Ciraldo’s side have gone 2-2 to start the season with Flanagan struggling to gel with new recruit Reed Mahoney and fellow playmaker Matt Burton.

The 24-year-old has recorded just a single assist despite averaging 45 possessions per game, just five shy of Broncos halfback Adam Reynolds who has five try assists.

Bulldogs great Braith Anasta said his former club needed “more creativity” out of Flanagan.

“The Dogs have come a long way and have improved out of sight,” he said on NRL360.

“They’ve got the foundation in terms of their defence and getting into good field position, but when it comes to the attacking zone they have a lack of options.”

NRL360 co-host Paul Kent agreed.

“They get up that end of the field okay and then when the defence gets their back against the try line the Bulldogs have this habit of going across one side of the field and then across the other side of the field,” he said.

“They can’t come up with the plays to penetrate them”.

“I don’t want to be critical of Flanagan,” Anasta replied. “I think he has the ability to take the line on. I think he has the ability to go into the line and create space and opportunities I just haven’t seen it yet.”

“There’s a lot of expectation of Burton but there’s nothing happening between Mahoney and Burton so (the opposition) can double team Mahoney and double team Burton.

“And they are getting no creativity out of their No.7 at the moment.”

Anasata’s comments came after Panthers legend Greg Alexander raised fears Burton was being asked to do too much. Alexander, speaking ahead of the Bulldogs’ Round 4 loss to the Warriors, also questioned whether Ciraldo needs to make an early-season call on his halves pairing.

“I did say through the (Round 3) game that the pressure on Matt Burton is increasing as the season gets longer for him to do everything,” Alexander said on SEN Radio.

“He is the runner, the kicker, he looks like he is organising. In terms of threatening the line, if you’re not getting help from somewhere else [it makes it difficult].

“Hayze Perham is a runner not a passer, whereas Kyle Flanagan is a passer not a runner. Matt Burton is trying to do a bit of everything and I think the load is too big on him.

“Do the Bulldogs bite the bullet and put Karl Oloapu in? Maybe.”

Oloapu has been on fire in reserve grade since joining from the Broncos in the off-season. In his most recent outing he scored a try and made a line break along with racking up 24 tackles.

He is viewed by many as Burton’s long-term halves partner casting further doubt over the future of Flanagan who is in the final year of his deal.

Kent said Flanagan has ultimately suffered from a rule change brought in just as he was finding his feet.

“The worst thing that happened to Kyle Flanagan was the six again rule because it brought back more ad-lib footy whereas he played structure very well,” he said.

“All his formative years in junior footy the game was highly structured. By the time he got to first grade, he had only just begun to crack the level, the game changed. He’s struggled to adapt to that.

“Every now and then he falls back into his old habits of just playing structure.”

Flanagan has been named at No.7 to take on the Cowboys in Round 5.

Dogsville

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
why can everyone see the problem but they don't drop him. Different if we beat the warriors, it would have taken the pressure off Flanagan. He cant lead the team, experiment is over. he has failed. Sure some keep saying we don't have anyone else. Flanagan doesn't offer anything , his kicks in general play are average, he does not take the line on, he cant lead the team. Someone else should be given a chance a it wont make any difference we will continue to struggle with him there. Last game if he doesn't play better time to go.

senshidog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
They keep making excuses for him but the bottom line is he just isn't good enough.

His career has been flattered by playing alongside (mostly) decent experienced halves players - with the exception of a few games alongside Drew Hutchinson at Roosters.

Flanno isn't an organiser, he's a ball runner. Same to a degree with KO. Difference however is (despite his young age) KO can read a defensive line and play eyes up footy really well, which makes him hard to defend against. His decision making is decent too.

Being able to play as a structured player (the excuse given here), just means he's a failure as a half as he has no creativity of his own.

The best he looked since signing with us was a few weeks ago when he roamed both sides of the field like Burton was.

Dogs need to put a line in the sand and tell him he's got till (for example) Round 7 to show something, or it's time to move on.

We can't afford to burn this season pissing about with halves options.

Heck I'd even promote Rajab this year alongside Burton, and have Flanno / Reynolds working alongside KO in NSW Cup. Then again don't want to stifle KO by putting Flanno alongside him.

Shame we can't see if someone like Dragons or Tigers are interested in him and do a mid season player swap with them.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
why can everyone see the problem but they don't drop him. Different if we beat the warriors, it would have taken the pressure off Flanagan. He cant lead the team, experiment is over. he has failed. Sure some keep saying we don't have anyone else. Flanagan doesn't offer anything , his kicks in general play are average, he does not take the line on, he cant lead the team. Someone else should be given a chance a it wont make any difference we will continue to struggle with him there. Last game if he doesn't play better time to go.
Everyone can see the problem but the coaching staff don't drop him because the available replacements are worse overall. Worse for the team who have trained all season with him and worse for the replacement player who isn't ready to play at NRL level for 80 minutes, every week, week in week out.

Always a Bulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
SACK DJDEEP

6 flannos this week
3 kiraz last week
what will tomorrow bring?
I don’t mind that @djdeep4172 continually copy’s & pastes articles from FB, I just wish he’d add them to the previous thread he created, there doesn’t need to be a new thread because it’s generally just the same rehashed information ..

Benno Bulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I suppose it is news in that the FOX guys were defending him while his dad worked there, they are now wondering why the club hasn't axed him from his spot.. and in defence of Kyle they say, he has a highly structured style of play a throw back to a time before the rule change...wtf who cares. I can't see that at all. How is his game highly structured?

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
The club got absolutely grilled for benching Flannagan mid game and dropping him thereafter last year for inept performances, this is despite NRL being a performance driven industry - if he wasn’t a former coaches son with media influence, no one says a thing, it’s a business… but, we copped it hard for what was appropriate action taken in my view.

Adding Anasta and the entire fox panel were first cab off the rank laying the boot in for dropping Flanno and apparently ruining his confidence etc… mind you, players like Dearden, Tanah Boyd, Sean O’Sullivan, Josh Shuster etc we’re also dropped but made successful returns to NRL, it’s not the end of the world.

Fast forward to season 2023…. And guess what, the muppet show and others have all realised Flanno has had 3 years and near 50+ caps with the Dogs to stamp his authority and claim as a genuine half/NRL footballer, however, he’s offered zero in attack without exaggeration. Does the media apologise for their over-reactionary view? Of course not, they make ridiculous excuses like “the game changed from structure to ad-lib”… really? It’s ridiculous, you’re either a footy player or you’re not. Footballers adapt to any style… let’s just all agree the poor bloke, who tries extremely hard (and has accomplished things I can only dream of) simply doesn’t have the game to be a top class half in this league - we need to move forward and find someone who can.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
The club got absolutely grilled for benching Flannagan mid game and dropping him thereafter last year for inept performances, this is despite NRL being a performance driven industry - if he wasn’t a former coaches son with media influence, no one says a thing, it’s a business… but, we copped it hard for what was appropriate action taken in my view.

Adding Anasta and the entire fox panel were first cab off the rank laying the boot in for dropping Flanno and apparently ruining his confidence etc… mind you, players like Dearden, Tanah Boyd, Sean O’Sullivan, Josh Shuster etc we’re also dropped but made successful returns to NRL, it’s not the end of the world.

Fast forward to season 2023…. And guess what, the muppet show and others have all realised Flanno has had 3 years and near 50+ caps with the Dogs to stamp his authority and claim as a genuine half/NRL footballer, however, he’s offered zero in attack without exaggeration. Does the media apologise for their over-reactionary view? Of course not, they make ridiculous excuses like “the game changed from structure to ad-lib”… really? It’s ridiculous, you’re either a footy player or you’re not. Footballers adapt to any style… let’s just all agree the poor bloke, who tries extremely hard (and has accomplished things I can only dream of) simply doesn’t have the game to be a top class half in this league - we need to move forward and find someone who can.
They are pushing for him to be dropped and when we finally drop him, they will be like "OMG, I can't believe the big bad Bulldogs dropped flamingo"....

Fuckwits in the highest degree.

jake6

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Most halves would struggle behind our pack atm. Flanno is plain shit but wouldn’t look as bad if our forwards were winning the ruck

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
“I don’t want to be critical of Flanagan,” Anasta replied. “I think he has the ability to take the line on. I think he has the ability to go into the line and create space and opportunities I just haven’t seen it yet.”

I think...We haven't been seeing it for over 2 year either,
But you clowns were too happy to criticize us when we dropped him,
It took you over 2 years to realise it you idiots !