The Board have undone all the good work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
I don't know of I'd go that far but as I said in the other thread, I'm extremely disappointed and frustrated the NRL was allowed to get away with murder.

The size of the fine was absurd and had no basis. If appealed through the courts we surely would have won or had it severely reduced.

Bullfrog would have fought this tooth and nail and won. I'm sick of having NRL yes men and lackies working for us who do whatever they say.

Yet other clubs like the Roosters and Sharks and co have way more off field indiscretions with players and blatantly flout the cap yet nothing is done. Cronulla get caught cheating the cap and doping players systematically and nothing is done. And even then Cronulla come out on the front foot and attack the NRL! Where is our backbone and why don't we ever appeal or question anything?

The way the club have laid down makes me more ashamed to support this club than the supposed indiscretion itself.

The NRL are the real criminals in this instance and they see our club as a licence to print money while the other 15 clubs can do what they want with no scrutiny, no fines and no punishment.
The Mad Monday incident would never have happened under Bullfrog.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
I know that many kennelers believe that some of the media hate our club to the extent that just want to exaggerate any bad publicity against our club, the fact that last year at a fan forum the CEO said that a news paper executive told he that if his paper printed any adverse news about our club it would sell an extra 30K -40K extra copies proves this fact.
I have been aware of the hatred of our club since the SL days, and this fact has been an obsession of mine since then.
The previous Board bent over backwards to make our club look good, and made many panic decisions as a result but it didn't stop the hate, therefore they deserved to be booted out.
I just hope that Lyn and the others wake up to the fact that some in the media and others just want to weaken our club and force it to relocate or worse go the way of the Bears and Jets, making panic decisions wont help our club.
They want to leverage out Klemmer and Jackson by shaming the club they play for, so the Roosters can buy them under their unlimited salary cap.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Sure enough i agree our club is hard done by by the media, and the severity of the fine handed down is rediculous, especially in the wake of the sharks found cheating the cap. But lets put things in perspective here.
If you went to a work christmas function and behaved like this would you expect to be repremanded for it? Would you expect to still have a job after this? Or do you think this is completely acceptable behavior?
If you think its perfectly acceptable then you need to check your moral compass. It has nothing to do with left wing, nanny state, treehugging blah blah blah that has been mentioned, it is just not acceptable behavior.
The club was in the shit last year for the exact same kind of shit, so if they cant learn from it then they must suffer the consequences. Do i like it? No. But as a fan of this club i cop a shit load of criticism from other fans, and this shit doesnt help. So as a fan i am also directly affected by this type of behaviour. So why the fuck should our club accept it and defend the players? Defend the severity of the fine, sure, no doubt, but the players? Sorry, but no.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
The Mad Monday incident would never have happened under Bullfrog.
The media has changed a lot since Bullfrog was around. I’m sure worse would have happened whilst he was in charge it was just a hell of a lot easier to sweep it under the rug.

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The media has changed a lot since Bullfrog was around. I’m sure worse would have happened whilst he was in charge it was just a hell of a lot easier to sweep it under the rug.
The hatred against our club started post the Sl war, about the time BullFrog departed, and then just gathered momentum, I thought that the recent change of our board may have mellowed a little at least, however time will tell I guess. My take is that the only way to really beat the bastards is to set up a breakaway comp.

Powerslide

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Early in the year I was a heavy in my criticism of the new board and the changing of the guard. I'd use any chance possible to have a go at them.

However towards the end of the season I mellowed and started to realise they were indeed on the right track.

That was... until today.

Our board faced a real challenge on this one:
Be a "Yes Man" and just cop it up the arse; or
Stand behind our players and fanbase as one, united in disagreeance.

They chose the former, and the repercussions will be great.

We are currently trying to recruit players, but what player is going to remotely consider moving to a club that clearly does not support it's players.

Moreso, what player is going to sign with a club, when they aware the club will constantly scrutinise their partying outside of work?

What message does this send to the existing playing group, who have busted their arses, and nursed the bruises, whilst a bunch of suits sit on their arses and reap the benefits.

It would not at all suprise me if such an approach puts players offside with the club, and considering walking out, and I for one, would not blame them.

A board is meant to defend it's club and it's players. It's meant to stand proud in the face of adversity, not roll over and take it.

I am absolutely disgusted with the boards approach to this incident. They have effectively punished the players for having a bit of fun and relaxing after a tough season (partly which they contributed to by disturbing the players midseason to release some).

This will only furthur fracture the playing group. Remember Adam Elliott is meant to be one of the leadership group. He's very close with Tolman and Jackson and Klemmer. How are Tolman, Jackson, Klemmer, and every other player going to feel knowing they are now playing for a board who do not give a single fuck about them.

We have all seen the players tank in previous years as a sign they were unhappy with that coach.
We have all seen the fans revolt against the board and vote them out based on performance.

With only a year odd left before voters go back to decide if the current board stay, this could be absolute suicide on the boards part, and a defining moment in if they get reelected.

Put simply it's this.

If the board can't support the players, then why should the fans support the club/board.

As it stands I am absolutely disgusted in all this. The board had their chance to harden the fuck up, and they have let every single fan and player down in the process.

Spineless, pathetic, ridiculous.

I am sure there will be more collateral damage from their approach.

Hold your horses, he hasn't said that the club have accepted the penalty he said they were disappointed with the severity of the penalty.... also he said he accepts the images and behaviour were unacceptable... The images being unacceptable are the photos and could read that behaviour of the players in question was unacceptable but also the actions by the Daily Telegraph were also unacceptable. I think we will hear more on this.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Don’t jump the gun in your haste to slam the board. Board members are no doubt taking time to talk to lawyers and assess their position and that’s exactly what they should do.

The telegraph are voyeuristic scum bags and this has been blown out of proportion, but the players did go a bit overboard. I’m sure this happens at other clubs too and I’m pissed off about the level of scrutiny aimed at our club and the absolute hammering the players have copped, but two have been charged by the cops and whatever we feel about the incident and the muckrakers that brought this to light, the club would look stupid if it unequivocally backed them and said they hadn’t done the wrong thing. I’m sure the players themselves regret their actions. I will say that I think they pale in comparison to other incidents that have occurred at other clubs and been punished less harshly and I hope the club makes that point.

As far as the fine goes, I’m sure the club will explore its legal options before deciding on how to respond. The board has been given five days and is doing the right thing in taking it.

I think the club should challenge the fine and make some valid points about the excessive scrutiny our club receives and the damage that does to the brand, but the board has to be smart about this.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Watch the press conference Hill does.

Question: Will you be contesting the fine?
Response: No.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score

Maybe not contesting but at least presenting a case for some clarification on the double standards?

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Maybe not contesting but at least presenting a case for some clarification on the double standards?
Yeah I'm just disappointed... they should have defended the players. If I was a player I'd feel totally let down by the club on this one.... and heck poor Adam Elliott must be in a fucked headspace at the moment.

Everyone seems to forget there's a blokes livelyhood impacted by all this.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score

Just rewatched and your comprehension skills leave a lot to be desired.

He never said the fine wouldn’t be contested. He repeatedly said the bulldogs would review the breach notice over the coming days. He said no when asked whether the club would speak to the daily telegraph about the way it was covered, but honestly, what good do you think talking to them would do? He also repeatedly defended the character of the players involved, whilst acknowledging that what they did was inappropriate. He said several times they were good men who made an error in judgment.

You hear what you want to hear.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Yeah I'm just disappointed... they should have defended the players. If I was a player I'd feel totally let down by the club on this one.... and heck poor Adam Elliott must be in a fucked headspace at the moment.

Hill seemed perfectly aware of that fact. All he said was that they did the wrong thing and were remorseful. He repeatedly said they were good young men who were remorseful about their actions. I’m sure that is the truth.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Just rewatched and your comprehension skills leave a lot to be desired.

He never said the fine wouldn’t be contested. He repeatedly said the bulldogs would review the breach notice over the coming days. He said no when asked whether the club would speak to the daily telegraph about the way it was covered, but honestly, what good do you think talking to them would do? He also repeatedly defended the character of the players involved, whilst acknowledging that what they did was inappropriate. He said several times they were good men who made an error in judgment.

You hear what you want to hear.
Spot on! He was putting out a massive media fire storm. I'll be honest I wanted him to rip into the media and stick up for the players before he spoke as well but luckily he has a much cooler head then me and handled it well.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score

Mr I you're going off half cocked again ;)

I watched the whole 8 min interview. Hill says they left the secure, security section roped off for them so the choice to strip off becomes a little bit more sillier on the balcony.

I defend their right to privacy but as Hill said, with their profile they have to realise the media will seek out any goss they can.

The club gave them too much benefit of the doubt that they'd be sensible with their drinking.

Hopefully it means they are galvanised and closer as a team and club.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
This probably wont be popular but I really think someone from the club (non player ) needs to pay the penalty and potentially be sacked for this.

We all knew this would happen a mile away if our mad monday wasnt managed properly, so how the club didnt manage to organise a completely private event is rediculous , incompetent & unprofessional

The fallout is dramatic

The players are pissed off and out of pocket, the club is also now out of pocket 250K fine and losing a sponsor worth 500K

This is a 800K plus blunder, any other industry & someone falls on their sword.. rookie error or whatever there is no excuse for this stupidity

The responsibility lies with whoever couldnt organise this event properly

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
This probably wont be popular but I really think someone from the club (non player ) needs to pay the penalty and potentially be sacked for this.

We all knew this would happen a mile away if our mad monday was managed properly, & how the club didnt manage to organise a completely private event is rediculous and incompetent

The fallout is dramatic

The players are pissed off and out of pocket, the club is also now out of pocket 250K fine and losing a sponsor worth 500K

This is a 800K plus blunder, any other industry & someone falls on their sword.. rookie error or whatever there is no excuse for this stupidity

It's been blown out of proportion, that's the problem right there. Media and the Nrl have made it bigger than it needed to be.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It's been blown out of proportion, that's the problem right there. Media and the Nrl have made it bigger than it needed to be.
Ofcourse they have. But its still cost us 800K and now unhappy players..

Whoever was responsible in organising the event has failed miserably and cost us money and tarnished the reputation of some players

That person should face the music

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score

Whoever was responsible in organising the event has failed miserably and cost us money and tarnished the reputation of some players

The players tarnished their own reputation no one made them get nude or that drunk. For the record it doesn’t bother me in the slightest what they did and doesn’t offend me at all but they have to take some personal responsibility.

Plus they have held Mad Monday there for the last 3 years without incident.

Last edited:

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score

Apparently, an un-named official quickly pulled him up on it. The whole thing lasted 60-90 seconds.

Jewturd conveniently left that part out when he spoke about the footage he saw.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score

We all knew this would happen a mile away if our mad monday wasnt managed properly, so how the club didnt manage to organise a completely private event is rediculous , incompetent & unprofessional

The fallout is dramatic

Blaming individuals is wrong and just like when Garry Hughes got the chop and Turvey fell on his sword, there is a price to pay for that.

There was apparently a (spoken or unspoken) rule broken by the players by leaving the closed off area and going onto the balcony. Does anyone know how long they were on the balcony? Were they told to pull their head in and get dressed and get back into the secure area. How long after Sweet Caroline did they finish up for the night.

There is so much detail to assess and factors outside anybody's control probably, to enable the Board to apportion blame on any one or two persons for what happened over the whole day/night. Players, staff, security would have been coming and going for several hours. Pay was there but for how long, Football Manager there etc etc etc.

The club will sort it but be fair. Don't go calling for heads to roll until the full story is known to our Admin.

Status
Not open for further replies.