MMA/UFC The UFC/MMA thread

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
Sterling wins again by bullshit. This time dillshaws shoulder popped out pretty much at the start of the fight and still managed to survive almost 2 rounds.
Turns out it's been a problem all camp and he's been playing on the downlow.

So, Yan probably (possibly? TBH - was probably a 50/50) gets ripped off, Sterling gets thrown a bone, Islam just probably terrified the UFC with Khabib 2.0. Ok was hoping this card could have been epic.

And now - and maybe need to take a step back and rewatch a few Islam fights but don't see how Volk gets Islam done. Interesting times next year.

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Oliviera you were just a speed hump... Islam Makhachev BOOOOOOM

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Turns out it's been a problem all camp and he's been playing on the downlow.

So, Yan probably (possibly? TBH - was probably a 50/50) gets ripped off, Sterling gets thrown a bone, Islam just probably terrified the UFC with Khabib 2.0. Ok was hoping this card could have been epic.

And now - and maybe need to take a step back and rewatch a few Islam fights but don't see how Volk gets Islam done. Interesting times next year.
Dariush was impressive as ever today also. Dominant against a rising star and future title prospect.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Dariush was impressive as ever today also. Dominant against a rising star and future title prospect.
He is my cousin, he is Assyrian.

He has 8 in a row now hasn't he?

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
He is my cousin, he is Assyrian.

He has 8 in a row now hasn't he?
That’s the one bro! If you haven’t seen his post match speech give it a listen. Humble as always. 8 in a row and still won’t get a title shot.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
That’s the one bro! If you haven’t seen his post match speech give it a listen. Humble as always. 8 in a row and still won’t get a title shot.
Yeah I heard his speeches bro. I love the lion.

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
So brains trust.

We getting close to Izzy vs Perierra. Any thoughts?

Plus now we getting Volks and Islam. Never been to Perth. Might have to make the trip.

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
So brains trust.

We getting close to Izzy vs Perierra. Any thoughts?

Plus now we getting Volks and Islam. Never been to Perth. Might have to make the trip.
Volks and Islam is going to be so Fkn epic .. absolutely cannot wait.

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
Think its a tough fight for Volks. What worries me is the Ortega fight, he nearly went twice in that and Islam is twice the wrestler that Ortega is.

Needs to do something to make Islam think twice about shooting. And it needs to be good and early.

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Think its a tough fight for Volks. What worries me is the Ortega fight, he nearly went twice in that and Islam is twice the wrestler that Ortega is.

Needs to do something to make Islam think twice about shooting. And it needs to be good and early.
Boys what impressed me most about Makhachev was his stand up. Thought Charles guard game was solid as the first round but he got clipped early and then every time they stood Makhachev had his number. Honestly didn’t realise how good he was on the feet and understand what everyone close to the camp was saying now. I been on the Volks train from day one but don’t know how he can stand with Makhachev.

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Boys what impressed me most about Makhachev was his stand up. Thought Charles guard game was solid as the first round but he got clipped early and then every time they stood Makhachev had his number. Honestly didn’t realise how good he was on the feet and understand what everyone close to the camp was saying now. I been on the Volks train from day one but don’t know how he can stand with Makhachev.
Was clinical to say the least.

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

It'll be worth the trip to Perth for sure.

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
Solid but not spectacular. Think Volk would tool Charles on the feet. Max is better on his feet than Charles and Volk tooled him.

Islam is bloody good all round. TBH, love what Volk has done but this is a challenge. If he wins this - its UFC legend status.

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Solid but not spectacular. Think Volk would tool Charles on the feet. Max is better on his feet than Charles and Volk tooled him.

Islam is bloody good all round. TBH, love what Volk has done but this is a challenge. If he wins this - its UFC legend status.
Not sure about that mate. Dustin pieced Max up twice and Charles ended Dustin pretty comfortably in the end.

Volks height is against him. And Charles would use his Muay Thai knees.

What Khabib said recently about Islam’s plan of attack to clinch Volks and throw a lot of knees is spot on IMO. That’s the danger Volks faces.

I hope I am wrong cause I love Volks and he’s got the heart of a lion but that’s the way I see it too.

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
Not sure about that mate. Dustin pieced Max up twice and Charles ended Dustin pretty comfortably in the end.

Volks height is against him. And Charles would use his Muay Thai knees.

What Khabib said recently about Islam’s plan of attack to clinch Volks and throw a lot of knees is spot on IMO. That’s the danger Volks faces.

I hope I am wrong cause I love Volks and he’s got the heart of a lion but that’s the way I see it too.
One of those Dustin fights was 9 years ago and the other not sure I would say pieced him. Some don't go up in weight easily. Max's stand up game (b4 Volk) was renowned. Cannot say the same for Charles.

Volks height is a bonus. Doesn't hurt his stand up and helps with the wrestling.

Otherwise agree - sort of stoked to see him have a real stylistic challenge.

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
One of those Dustin fights was 9 years ago and the other not sure I would say pieced him. Some don't go up in weight easily. Max's stand up game (b4 Volk) was renowned. Cannot say the same for Charles.

Volks height is a bonus. Doesn't hurt his stand up and helps with the wrestling.

Otherwise agree - sort of stoked to see him have a real stylistic challenge.
Regardless he beat Max in both weight classes and the second one about 2-3 years ago Max didn’t fair too well. Dustin is predominately a boxer he’s doesn’t have all the tools on the feet.

Charles head movement isn’t the best but overall he’s very dangerous on the feet he went toe to toe with 2 of the better punchers in the top 5 Poirer and Gathje and came out on top in both well inside the distance. He actually fought everyone in the top 5 in under 2 years. That’s why I was so impressed with Makhachev win.

Clinch game is stand up mate and that’s where I’m worried Volks will eat knees and sorry but his height is a disadvantage in the clinch that is fairly obvious hence Khabibs game plan for Islam.

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
Regardless he beat Max in both weight classes and the second one about 2-3 years ago Max didn’t fair too well. Dustin is predominately a boxer he’s doesn’t have all the tools on the feet.

Charles head movement isn’t the best but overall he’s very dangerous on the feet he went toe to toe with 2 of the better punchers in the top 5 Poirer and Gathje and came out on top in both well inside the distance. He actually fought everyone in the top 5 in under 2 years. That’s why I was so impressed with Makhachev win.

Clinch game is stand up mate and that’s where I’m worried Volks will eat knees and sorry but his height is a disadvantage in the clinch that is fairly obvious hence Khabibs game plan for Islam.
We can go in circles on this - styles make fights. Charles has heavy hands and clipped a few guys who aren't good defensive boxers but its his ground game that makes his stand up dangerous. Guess we'll just agree to disagree.

Islam has clinched purely to get it to the ground in every UFC fight I've seen him in. So ya saying Islam is going to change his style to get an advantage against Volk? In which case advantage Volk. Yeah, muay thai striking, in isolation, height makes a big diff but mma is not in isolation so we'll see.

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
We can go in circles on this - styles make fights. Charles has heavy hands and clipped a few guys who aren't good defensive boxers but its his ground game that makes his stand up dangerous. Guess we'll just agree to disagree.

Islam has clinched purely to get it to the ground in every UFC fight I've seen him in. So ya saying Islam is going to change his style to get an advantage against Volk? In which case advantage Volk. Yeah, muay thai striking, in isolation, height makes a big diff but mma is not in isolation so we'll see.
He isn’t changing his style though mate he’s always had that in his tool box, he knees in the clinch to set up a trip but he has also dropped guys with his knees in the clinch before. I think his striking is underrated and if he can’t hold Volks down on the ground and the fight is predominately standing I think he’ll do what Khabib said and clinch and use his knees and in that case Volks height is against him. Once again as a Volks fan I hope he proves me wrong but that’s just the way I see it. Cracker card.