Opinion Flanno v Tigers analysis

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
it's not like we're asking for him to play into the line like a prime JT or Foran haha.
But that’s his biggest flaw. It’s not like he is scared of contact as he puts his body on the line in D.

But, he plays 2 meters before the line instead of digging in so the defence doesn’t need to do anything. They know he will pass or kick every single time. Easily his biggest issue.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
This, so much this, and he can't even get the basics right all the time either
He still takes the safe option by giving to the lead runner too often when we've created space out the back and have an overlap.. I still feel like when defenders rush up on him, he struggles to handle that as he doesn't have the footwork or skill to make them pay..

But I don't want to be too negative about him because he has played better, he looks more confident and he seems like he's looking for the ball as opposed to trying to avoid it.. I think Potter deserves credit for finally getting him more switched on and playing with some urgency..

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
It’s all baby steps. Give him more time to find his feet and confidence. You can see he is having a go and I think it will all start falling into place. Geez it’s only 2 weeks that we have been on fire. Another 3-4 weeks playing like this and more will develop.

Not to mention he is just getting to that amount of games where it starts slowing down. Good thing we started winning at the right time. Halves take time to develop unless your very special. And even then they still take time to get to the very top.
You guys are setting the bar waaaaaay too low here, his game has been stripped back all the way too the bare basics so he needs to be nailing basic things like this more often than not. A lot of the creativity is being left up to other players so when they're screaming for it because they're in space then bloody get it to them. As I said previously he is defending well and putting in and as long as we're winning that will probably keep him in first grade, different story once we start losing though.

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
No to Munster. Fcuk would we blow our cap for one player when we have so many decent juniors coming through who will command decent upgrades in the near future and we need to buy a top shelf prop.
No way we can win a comp with
1 Averillo
6 Burton
7 Flanagan

when you look at the spines of the Panthers, Storm, Roosters, Bunnies and Eels.

We save money on Averillo compared to buying Mitchell or Walsh. We also save money on our backs in Schoupp and Kiraz and on King in our forwards

Thompson + RFM = Munster

If the Roosters end up with the below spine which could happen us and the rest of the comp are f..ked.
1 Tedesco
6 Munster
7 Walker
9 Cheese

Last edited:

Dogs Of War

On the Warpath
Reaction score
1 Averillo
6 Burton
7 Flanagan

Thompson + RFM = Munster
bunnies? There half got pulled. Same problems. Developing half who is unlearning structures.
Eels? I’m not sure there halves are ever going to win them a comp. Moses can do some nice things. But he ain’t elite.
roosters are going through growing pains themselves. Especially with keary probably going to have to retire.

Flangan has time to work on his game in a winning team. He is trying hard and it helps to be a winning team when learning.

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Would work better if he didn't ignore clear overlaps and outside backs in space. People need to stop making excuses here, it's not like we're asking for him to play into the line like a prime JT or Foran haha. Just move the ball to the backs when there's space.
Thats the problem .. fair enough he’s reasonably safe and can tackle but he gets it wrong more often then not with the ball. Throws out the back when the short play is on and goes short when there is space out the back. First half was terrible in attack and the main reason we were only 12-6 up for mine. I honestly think he’s been carried by other players form.

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Flanagan's has a go and has been ok at the basics, even improving marginally lately, but a finals team needs a lot more. He's utterly predictable, gives slow service, has no options and takes the fluency out of our attack. Credit for his cut out to Allen on the weekend but it's nowhere near enough.

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
HB always look better when playing behind a dominent pack, guess only time will tell with Flanno.
IMHO, the real test for young Flanno will come on the first November, when he will be able to negotate with other clubs for 2024.
If other clubs/coaches see anything in him, he will have plenty of clubs clampering for his servives, due to the shortage of HB.
It will also be interesting to see how much money other clubs are prepared to throw at him.

gibbo2

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok, so I've been guilty just like many of being negative towards the guy (Flanno), SO when I watched yesterday's game again today I decided I might pay extra attention to his game to see what I come up with. I've ummed and ahhed about him like you for ages now, I wanted to get some facts to help me decide about him instead of running on emotion.

Winners are grinners and most players look good in a winning game.

So this will be long, if your not interested in this sort of thing then feel free to move on.

So if your still with me I watched him and made these notes,

* So I decided to do this after the 11th min and couldn't be bothered rewinding,
12th min
- Kick, grubber that forces a line drop out
13th min - Kicked cross field, landed 10m out from opposition tryline - causes a knock-on = our scrum
* positional play and linking very good, organising forwards during play
14th min - JMK scores from dummy half scoot in the set from scrum
* Tigers have the ball for a bit here and score from JAC's wing error
22nd min - 5th tackle, 10m from tigers tryline Flanno takes on the line, stopped 1m out. At this point the backline was a little too deep but he should have passed it as there was an opportunity and most likely a try coming.
24th min - after a tigers kick Flanno was first back to dummy half to pass the ball, showed effort to be there ready 1%er
28th min
- Prop run impacting on the line, Flanno waiting and available for the offload if needed. 1%er
29th min -
arranging forwards during play and organising
30th min - Dogs attack falters near tigers tryline and we lose 25m, Flanno is back and available for the 5th tackle kick. Bomb lands 1m from tryline, good placement. 1%er
31st min
- Dogs 1st tackle 15m out and Flanno stands as pivot, passes to JAC giving width, JAC runs 40m down field, passes to Burto who grubbers into in goal getting us a dropout. Flanno supporting inside Burto.
34th min - Allan catches kick on full and runs 40m. Dogs don't reset for attack, JMK passes to Flanno, takes the tackle and gets hurt a little 1%er
41st min
- 1st man back at dummy half after tigers 5th tackle kick 1%er
50th min -
Averillo try, Flanno first man there celebrating, Burto does the Penriff jump on group thing.
53rd min - 5th tackle kick, Flanno bomb lands 4m from tryline, good height and forces the tigers FB to jump under pressure from a screaming through Averillo.
53rd min - in defence Flanno adjusts well, makes tackle. Commentators say it's his 19th tackle so far.
54th min - Flanno does a 2 man cut out pass to Allan, Allan back inside for Kiraz to score
* Huge team celebration, JAC and Allan make intentional congrats to Flanno for the lead up pass Dogs 24 - 6.
66th min - Burto has ball on 5th tackle, switch play back to Flanno on other side of ruck. Flanno inside ball to a screaming through Averillo, AVO runs 10 to 15m before a chip/grubber that almost comes off for the dogs.
67th min - Schoupp intercept try, Flanno in support 1%er
70th min -
Dogs get a penalty, Flanno can be seen in there organising the next play
71st min - Running switch play that started on the left and went back to the right and passes to a runner. Changing angles, not just 1 out stuff.
75th min - Flanno involved with a half break with Docker-Clay and Max King from dummy half.
77th min - Tigers make a break with Little. Flanno made it back to cover on the inside at FB and help stop the play. Vaughan then gets 10 mins in the bin. 1%er
79th min
- Tamou consolation try - GAME OVER - YEAH DOGGIES 36 - 12.

I gave Flanno's game a 7/10 after watching it again. He played well.

Ok, so in conclusion to me his defence is solid and I don't think anyone can call out that part of his game.

His fitness is really high, he's always there as support runner, helping out guy's when being tackled and doing the 1%er's that you don't see unless watching for it.

So here's the question, he obviously not a massive point scoring/setting up half back but for me all we needed is/was someone to assist Burton and unlock Burto's potential. He does this quite well and one would think will get better. Flanno is on what> 450k by all reports, pretty much min wage for a halfback these days.

If I had my wish we would sign Jahrome Hughes, he's a great HB. Here's the quandary, do you go with the dominant 5/8, have a solid HB that does his job instead of breaking the bank and use that money in other areas?

We have Kikau and Mahoney next year, Burto, JAC, Averillo smashing it at FB, TPJ, RFM all adding to attack. That's not including the young blokes showing good things and Alamoti in the future, Is it an advantage having a solid HB and freeing up space for other area's of the salary cap?

Thank you for getting to this part if you made it. Hope this made sense.

Thoughts?
Spot on analysis. The haters here on the kennel won't agree though.
Flanno is doing a great job - not over playing his hand and letting the
flashy players do the flashy stuff.
Unfortunately a lot of people don't understand the importance of the 1% plays

steve1700

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok, so I've been guilty just like many of being negative towards the guy (Flanno), SO when I watched yesterday's game again today I decided I might pay extra attention to his game to see what I come up with. I've ummed and ahhed about him like you for ages now, I wanted to get some facts to help me decide about him instead of running on emotion.

Winners are grinners and most players look good in a winning game.

So this will be long, if your not interested in this sort of thing then feel free to move on.

So if your still with me I watched him and made these notes,

* So I decided to do this after the 11th min and couldn't be bothered rewinding,
12th min
- Kick, grubber that forces a line drop out
13th min - Kicked cross field, landed 10m out from opposition tryline - causes a knock-on = our scrum
* positional play and linking very good, organising forwards during play
14th min - JMK scores from dummy half scoot in the set from scrum
* Tigers have the ball for a bit here and score from JAC's wing error
22nd min - 5th tackle, 10m from tigers tryline Flanno takes on the line, stopped 1m out. At this point the backline was a little too deep but he should have passed it as there was an opportunity and most likely a try coming.
24th min - after a tigers kick Flanno was first back to dummy half to pass the ball, showed effort to be there ready 1%er
28th min
- Prop run impacting on the line, Flanno waiting and available for the offload if needed. 1%er
29th min -
arranging forwards during play and organising
30th min - Dogs attack falters near tigers tryline and we lose 25m, Flanno is back and available for the 5th tackle kick. Bomb lands 1m from tryline, good placement. 1%er
31st min
- Dogs 1st tackle 15m out and Flanno stands as pivot, passes to JAC giving width, JAC runs 40m down field, passes to Burto who grubbers into in goal getting us a dropout. Flanno supporting inside Burto.
34th min - Allan catches kick on full and runs 40m. Dogs don't reset for attack, JMK passes to Flanno, takes the tackle and gets hurt a little 1%er
41st min
- 1st man back at dummy half after tigers 5th tackle kick 1%er
50th min -
Averillo try, Flanno first man there celebrating, Burto does the Penriff jump on group thing.
53rd min - 5th tackle kick, Flanno bomb lands 4m from tryline, good height and forces the tigers FB to jump under pressure from a screaming through Averillo.
53rd min - in defence Flanno adjusts well, makes tackle. Commentators say it's his 19th tackle so far.
54th min - Flanno does a 2 man cut out pass to Allan, Allan back inside for Kiraz to score
* Huge team celebration, JAC and Allan make intentional congrats to Flanno for the lead up pass Dogs 24 - 6.
66th min - Burto has ball on 5th tackle, switch play back to Flanno on other side of ruck. Flanno inside ball to a screaming through Averillo, AVO runs 10 to 15m before a chip/grubber that almost comes off for the dogs.
67th min - Schoupp intercept try, Flanno in support 1%er
70th min -
Dogs get a penalty, Flanno can be seen in there organising the next play
71st min - Running switch play that started on the left and went back to the right and passes to a runner. Changing angles, not just 1 out stuff.
75th min - Flanno involved with a half break with Docker-Clay and Max King from dummy half.
77th min - Tigers make a break with Little. Flanno made it back to cover on the inside at FB and help stop the play. Vaughan then gets 10 mins in the bin. 1%er
79th min
- Tamou consolation try - GAME OVER - YEAH DOGGIES 36 - 12.

I gave Flanno's game a 7/10 after watching it again. He played well.

Ok, so in conclusion to me his defence is solid and I don't think anyone can call out that part of his game.

His fitness is really high, he's always there as support runner, helping out guy's when being tackled and doing the 1%er's that you don't see unless watching for it.

So here's the question, he obviously not a massive point scoring/setting up half back but for me all we needed is/was someone to assist Burton and unlock Burto's potential. He does this quite well and one would think will get better. Flanno is on what> 450k by all reports, pretty much min wage for a halfback these days.

If I had my wish we would sign Jahrome Hughes, he's a great HB. Here's the quandary, do you go with the dominant 5/8, have a solid HB that does his job instead of breaking the bank and use that money in other areas?

We have Kikau and Mahoney next year, Burto, JAC, Averillo smashing it at FB, TPJ, RFM all adding to attack. That's not including the young blokes showing good things and Alamoti in the future, Is it an advantage having a solid HB and freeing up space for other area's of the salary cap?

Thank you for getting to this part if you made it. Hope this made sense.

Thoughts?
Couldn't of explained it better... does almost everything a hb does just needs to work on his attack.

Snowmann

Party Rocker
Reaction score
Good summation Grog. I’ve also rewatched the games twice since yesterday and he has certainly looked like he’s enjoying his footy again, when under Barrett he was very stand-offish even with the try celebrations, but you could see yesterday he was in the thick of it, smiling and laughing. The droppings to Reggie’s have certainly floored his confidence but I thinking working with Burt has made him see where he fits into the team, and as of now, there is a spot for him in the team.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
1 Averillo
6 Burton
7 Flanagan

We save money on Averillo compared to buying Mitchell or Walsh. We also save money on our backs in Schoupp and Kiraz and on King in our forwards

Thompson + RFM = Munster

If the Roosters end up with the below spine which could happen us and the rest of the comp are f..ked.
1 Tedesco
6 Munster
7 Walker
9 Cheese
Be patient Brad... our window begins to open slightly in 2024 and beyond... by then the majority of our squad will be pricey. In my opinion its better to spread the cash rather than to blow most of it on one player. When u really think about it Munster will command 1.2 mil plus to come to the dogs, thats almost 3 starting spots in your 17 and probably guns.

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yep, you got what I was alluding too. As you said, 3 guns 1, 6 & 9 will allow just a standard 7. especially if you have blokes like JAC, Kikau etc to help in the attack. All of a sudden that 600k you save on not dropping a Mil for a 7 aswell can be used elsewhere.
And the reality is most of the good/great current and recent 7s don't start playing first grade as superstars. The likes of Cronk, Thurston, Hughes and Moses all spent half a career before getting anywhere near their peak and also played in some very good teams to get there. Cleary and perhaps DCE are the exceptions, but they began playing in superstar teams.

It seems the only option is to sign or or bring through the best of the young halves available, then give them time to gain their experience with a talented and experienced 6.

Philistine

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I wouldn't be racing out to sign Cam Munster on big money, He is 27 - almost 28 - and has been playing at the top level for 8 or 9 years.He is approaching the age when the body starts telling you all this heavy contact is not such a smart idea. Some players start to decline, some start getting injured a lot, and others start pacing themselves, saving their best efforts for the big occasions. According to the grapevine, the Dolphins are trying to tempt him with $1.2M but the Storm have only offered $750,000. He has played all his senior football at the Storm and so you would expect them to know their player better than anyone.

BTW - he seems to have caught everybody's attention because of the great game he played in Origin One. The thing is - he didn't! He played a great second half.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
I wouldn't be racing out to sign Cam Munster on big money, He is 27 - almost 28 - and has been playing at the top level for 8 or 9 years.He is approaching the age when the body starts telling you all this heavy contact is not such a smart idea. Some players start to decline, some start getting injured a lot, and others start pacing themselves, saving their best efforts for the big occasions. According to the grapevine, the Dolphins are trying to tempt him with $1.2M but the Storm have only offered $750,000. He has played all his senior football at the Storm and so you would expect them to know their player better than anyone.

BTW - he seems to have caught everybody's attention because of the great game he played in Origin One. The thing is - he didn't! He played a great second half.
Munster's coming into his prime. He deserves to be the highest paid player in the game. The Storm up'd their 750k offer as they realised they made a mistake BUT Munster's "only" worth 1m, which the Storm can't even get to with their salary cap, and it's going to be hard for them to compete with teams willing to throw 1.2-1.3m at him. There isn't a bigger big game player than Munster (that includes Cleary on 1.1m).

Philistine

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Munster's coming into his prime.
Des probably said much the same thing about Kieran Foran when he was talking the board into signing off on Foran's million dollars per season deal.

Doggystyle99

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
22nd min if Avo pushed up to the hole created by Flanno we score
Avo for all the good done so far in the fb role, the instinctive aspect can only come with time. He’s probably just still a little conservative, and hasn’t developed the confidence or the tuition to notice that gap and push up

enoughsaid

Kennel Tips Winner '04
Reaction score
Avo for all the good done so far in the fb role, the instinctive aspect can only come with time. He’s probably just still a little conservative, and hasn’t developed the confidence or the tuition to notice that gap and push up
this thread is about flanno