Round 4 Bulldogs V Souths - Team Lists and Discussion Thread

BULLDVGS

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We have 3 players suspended, Jackson (Bulldogs Captain), Thompson (English International) and DWZ (NZ Captain), and I'm having trouble remembering when was the last time we had 3 senior players not allowed to play.

Go Dogs
What the fuck is up with people referring to DWZ as NZ captain. Straight up denial. I like DWZ, good bloke and always hope he does well but he was captain cos RTS wasn't there. Hasnt been since and probably will never be again.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I don't really think Allan was as bad as you make out and calling him a liability is a bit much. He has had trouble adjusting to a new side but he has more upside once in form compared to Meaney. Meaney had a great game on the wing last week and considering the opposition we have coming up I'd have liked to see Allan given more time to settle in.
Fair enough. I just hate when fullbacks don't contest bombs and Allan did that several times. I noticed he did that in Origin too and with Souths at times. Teams will target him if it keeps happening. He was slow chasing grubbers too. At least Meaney is safe.

Hopefully Allan plays better on the wing and can find ways to link up at times to utilise his passing skills.

halfcast

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
hope topine has a good debut..i have my doubts ogden and atoni are up to 1st grade standard..napa is a joke..hethrington a disappointment..no jacko or thomo..we are fielding a res grade pack

kmr07

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Meaney hasn’t had a bad game at fullback.Positionally and under the high ball he is excellent,he will be hunting around for offloads which will help our attack.He is our best option for fullback.
It will be interesting to see how Katoa handles playing 80 minutes at 9 and how Topine goes on debut.Im surprised Doorey wasn’t selected, he must be close.
Agree. Think he goes well at fullback, however needs to get more involved in attack and also improve his support play. Numerous times last season we’d make a break and have no one backing up. Ben Barba was probably the last decent support player we had

kmr07

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wish the club realised these red flags though. Good clubs aren't "happy or wishing them well" after players leave. Whether it be the Roosters and Flanaghan, Penrith and DWZ, Souths and Allen. There is a good reason all 3 were let go...and we've compounded it by giving them huge contracts. You claim 400k isn't much, sure in isolation it's not much but those three are a million plus....add Napa and it's $1.6 million per year. Is that really good value for a quarter of your cap? Both DWZ and Allen are wingers despite what the Mr Ego's think. Neither are fullbacks..

Tell you what I'd rather offer Reynolds a bucket after this season.
A million plus for two players in spine positions really isn’t much. Most other teams would have $3m plus in their spine. Not saying they are worth that right now, but who could you pick from this current squad and truly say are earning their money? None. So I’m happy with having two spine positions on approx $800k. I feel they will come good soon, and start to provide value for money

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Agree. Think he goes well at fullback, however needs to get more involved in attack and also improve his support play. Numerous times last season we’d make a break and have no one backing up. Ben Barba was probably the last decent support player we had
Compared to Allen his supporter play is good.I guarantee he will get a couple of offloads go his way on Friday. His ball play is pretty good so hopefully that translates to some better attacking options too.
Barba was lightning fast so of course it would help him get in to positions to support when we made line breaks.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Flanagan was awful against the Broncos, Jake defenitely the better half. Neither obviously any good, but one defenitely impacted the side negatively more than the other.
L fucking O L... it’s like tho old saying never mistake desire with ability.. Best thing Barrett has done this season is putting Jake back rather than pushing the agenda that he is ready.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
hope topine has a good debut..i have my doubts ogden and atoni are up to 1st grade standard..napa is a joke..hethrington a disappointment..no jacko or thomo..we are fielding a res grade pack
Funny you should say that as the reserve grade game between Mounties and Canberra last weekend.....Canberra fielded basically a first grade pack and our reggies did a job on them....yeah I know wishful thinking on my behalf that our reserve grade pack playing first grade might cause an upset...

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I hate South's but they have mastered the quickened game, they create space and overlaps with quick passing and players in motion. When the passes stick, as they did against the roosters last year they are hard to stop even with good defence.

fooch

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
For those thinking the Averillo ankle injury is bullshit..

He did it in captain’s run - total reason Lachlan Lewis was pulled from Cup. Lewis confirmed it in pre match interview v Canberra on Saturday.
Yeah the Easter bunny is real

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I hate South's but they have mastered the quickened game, they create space and overlaps with quick passing and players in motion. When the passes stick, as they did against the roosters last year they are hard to stop even with good defence.
Latrell and Walker were made for this game.. this new style of game suits unstructured adlib footy.. and that's what they do best..

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Quick question for TK - why do Bulldogs fans on FB and Insta love Lewis? The positive comments he gets are fucking bewildering. There is a new Insta post with Lewis and reading the gushing comments about him is laughable. How can 90% of TK be against Lewis, and rightly so, yet the fans on social media love him? It's one of the mysteries of the universe
It's not called Fakebook for nothing

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
I don't really think Allan was as bad as you make out and calling him a liability is a bit much. He has had trouble adjusting to a new side but he has more upside once in form compared to Meaney. Meaney had a great game on the wing last week and considering the opposition we have coming up I'd have liked to see Allan given more time to settle in.
I just hated how sloppy he looked on turn and chase on line breaks... seemed very unfit. Only players with attacking prowress like Latrell can get away with that shit