How much have we really improved the roster?

Where will we finish based on our current roster?

• Top 4

• 5-6

• 7-8

• 9-12

• 14-16

Results are only viewable after voting.

The Dogfather

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I can see us pushing for 10th spot possibly 9th if we can bring in some more quality recruits for next year.

CanterburybankstownBD

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Well every team is in the same boat, lose your marquee halfback and it’ll effect any team.
I like our new recruits especially Flanagan. I think Hethrington is a good buy because he adds menace to our team. Thompson looked good in his last few games. Waddell looks to have potential and Cotric is a nsw rep. Plus I think we have a few good players already and even though we came near last for the last two seasons I think there were some very promising games.
All of the above wouldn’t seem as promising if we didn’t have a whole new coaching staff as well as Steve Hansen who has proven himself to be a good man manager/coach.

I think our roster looks strong and I really think we’ll do well next year, but I think that nearly every year.

To me, our forward pack looks really good. Our front rowers of Napa, Thompson, Hethrington, To’omaga, Ogden is really formiddable ( I think I’ve left someone out). And we have a plethora of 2nd rowers to choose from.

Flanagan has heaps of potential i think.

As you say though theres a lot of uncertainty around our dummy half and how we’ll perform there.

CanterburybankstownBD

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I keep seeing Averillo as our number 1. Theres no doubt he’s talented and I hope hes in our 17 but my only worry is that defensively hes a liability.
Do you guys think he can handle fb week in week out?

CanterburybankstownBD

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Agree, the spine remains a huge problem for us and Flanagan in for Foran is not doing too much to sway my opinion on that. Hoppa is a year older, Lewis has shown nil improvement and JMK is what he is.

Avo is our big hope.
Flanagan is better than Foran imo.

CanterburybankstownBD

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Hmm..I'll finally have a crack at our round 1 side.

1. Averillo
2. Smith
3. Cotric
4. Hoppa
5. DWZ
6. Burton
7. Flanagan
8. Atoni
9. Wakeham
10. Hetherington
11. RFM
12. Elliott
13. Jackson

14. JMK
15. Napa
16. Waddell
17. Stimson

Burton is obviously key and it's a major advantage as it gives us two genuine ball running threats through the spine and a left footed kicking option.

Overall it's an improvement on last season and we've brought in a few players with ability that was previously lacking within the squad...a lot of improvement will also depend on conditioning and us actually being structurally sound for once so we can actually play football at a reasonable tempo.
I think Thompson has to be in the 17. He looks like a forward with a good footy IQ. I don’t know why, he just does.

Dogtime

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think, well actually I hope, you are drastically underestimating having an attack oriented coach.

We all know Barrett’s role in the Panthers structure - was attack.

I am hopeful this is the biggest impact he will have.

(Oh and no Tolman the 4 th)
I'm gonna miss Tols's 4th tackle settlers. At least we knew where the ball was going on the 4th. Now we'll probably try standing deeper with players running onto the ball on the 4th....anything could happen...too unstructured for my liking!!!

Dogtime

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
Burton and Flanagan would be a great combo for years to come. I agree together behind our current forward pack we would likely edge into the top 8 with 1. Averillo 6. Burton 7. Flanagan.
Not without an attacking 9. When the hell is C Smith gonna make his announcement on his career? The suspense is killing me. Are we looking for the SOO to finish first? In my book we shouldn't chase JAC ATM JUST IN CASE H Grant becomes available. With Grant we'd be good chance for top 8. Without a Hooker upgrade we'd be 9/10.

blue & white blood

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Burton and Flanagan would be a great combo for years to come. I agree together behind our current forward pack we would likely edge into the top 8 with 1. Averillo 6. Burton 7. Flanagan.
My Question is why is it taking so long for Burton to sign on? , I have a funny feeling Penrith are playing silly buggers and probably making him lots of offers he can't refuse, in fact in the last game of the season for us Penrith brought Burton on in the last 10 minutes even though they were thrashing us on the score board just to rub our noses in it, I'm hoping that Burton won't do an Adocar on us.

Total Fool

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
Well every team is in the same boat, lose your marquee halfback and it’ll effect any team.
I like our new recruits especially Flanagan. I think Hethrington is a good buy because he adds menace to our team. Thompson looked good in his last few games. Waddell looks to have potential and Cotric is a nsw rep. Plus I think we have a few good players already and even though we came near last for the last two seasons I think there were some very promising games.
All of the above wouldn’t seem as promising if we didn’t have a whole new coaching staff as well as Steve Hansen who has proven himself to be a good man manager/coach.

I think our roster looks strong and I really think we’ll do well next year, but I think that nearly every year.

To me, our forward pack looks really good. Our front rowers of Napa, Thompson, Hethrington, To’omaga, Ogden is really formiddable ( I think I’ve left someone out). And we have a plethora of 2nd rowers to choose from.

Flanagan has heaps of potential i think.

As you say though theres a lot of uncertainty around our dummy half and how we’ll perform there.
Our team over the past 3-5yrs has not had a plan B especially under Pay!
Barrett will have most bases covered but it will take time & for some players to get with the new program. I agree, we have forward depth covered, if anything, I reckon we have one too many backrowers....

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Hmm..I'll finally have a crack at our round 1 side.

1. Averillo
2. Smith
3. Cotric
4. Hoppa
5. DWZ
6. Burton
7. Flanagan
8. Atoni
9. Wakeham
10. Hetherington
11. RFM
12. Elliott
13. Jackson

14. JMK
15. Napa
16. Waddell
17. Stimson

Burton is obviously key and it's a major advantage as it gives us two genuine ball running threats through the spine and a left footed kicking option.

Overall it's an improvement on last season and we've brought in a few players with ability that was previously lacking within the squad...a lot of improvement will also depend on conditioning and us actually being structurally sound for once so we can actually play football at a reasonable tempo.
No Ogden??

Rockdog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Yep 9-12 so far unless we get a good 9.
A 6 would be good too but if that 6 doesn’t arrive for another year then it could be Good grounding for Averillo to wear the 6 for 21.
A fast 1 would be great also. Then I see the dogs being a threat to the premiership.
mom another note, if Burton is likely, Averillo had better start cutting his teeth at FB.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Our team has improved significantly with the signings we've made and the addition of Barrett, Furner, Potter etc will mean that we'll finally have a tactically sound coaching staff who can maximise the potential in our players. Which in itself will make a huge difference.

We'll also sign a few more players before the start of next season. So there's plenty to be optimistic about and there should be no reason why we can't contend for a top 8 spot.

Rockdog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
6 & 9 are the crucial positions we need to throw the coin at and must be our priority before we even consider throwing big $ at JAC. Though we don’t have an incredible FB we have decent players who can fill that roll for now in Meany, Hoppa, or a long term prospect could be Averillo for mine. If Averillo can develop, that would be his home with his talent especially if we land Burton for 6.

Malla

Reaction score
We have improved the roster immensely compared to last year. Have to also consider a few things;
- Elliot back from injury, basically missed all season
- Luke Thompson full off season under his belt and will be better for going through this season
- Having Flanno is basically a guaranteed 2 points. Not since El-Masri have we had a kicker of his caliber - now think about the game we have lost by small margins over the last couple years
- We have signed Leinu (spelling) from Panthers I believe - will add punch off the bench
- Finally we have a strike player in Cotric and we have a half that can get him the ball and use him

Agree that we may still be a year or so off the 8, but it's not easy going from absolutely abysmal to being ready for the finals however I would not be surprised to see this team in the top 8 come end of year.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I've voted based on hope. 7-8 is doable enough. Improved fitness, confidence and structure will be required. If we've got better short kicking options available with Flanagan, our attack in the 20m zone should improve a lot. Hopefully Barrett can improve at least one of the other halves contenders enough to make them a threat too.

I'm not going to assume we'll get a ready made hooker or half. But if our attacking structure is better it's easier to drill the decision making process for either JMK or Katoa. Easier to get the kicking options right for the halves too.

Biggest issue I see is in knocking out the tendency to panic if an error is made. We just can't afford another season where one error leads to a series of errors in the following few sets.