How much have we really improved the roster?

Where will we finish based on our current roster?

• Top 4

• 5-6

• 7-8

• 9-12

• 14-16

Results are only viewable after voting.

oldpuppy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The new players vs the players released is an upgrade to see us moving up the ladder.
Next year should see the same change and get closer to a settled long term roster.
Hoping any juniors are ready by then to pressure first grade squad to be performing optimally.

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oops.. was I meant to say that before it has been reported?
Wow, you seem to be on the money lately....I think you were the first guy on TK to mention Lenui. So is it a done deal yet?

Do you have any update on Burton you can share? You said he was supposed to have made his decision last Monday but all these articles over the past couple of days are suggesting he hasn't made up his mind yet.

Oldpanther

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I thought I'd vote. Put you 7 -8 and I'm including Burton until I hear otherwise. I watch every game every week and I thought you would've won a lot more games if you just had a half who had a good game managing kicking game in 2020. Someone who would win you field position and momentum (think Cleary in origin game 2) Flanagan/Burton gives you that on both sides of the field.

Aristidiz

Bullwog
Reaction score
I thought I'd vote. Put you 7 -8 and I'm including Burton until I hear otherwise. I watch every game every week and I thought you would've won a lot more games if you just had a half who had a good game managing kicking game in 2020. Someone who would win you field position and momentum (think Cleary in origin game 2) Flanagan/Burton gives you that on both sides of the field.
I actually don't think Cleary's long range kicking game was all that great in Origin 2. I did think he made great calls in directing their attack though.

But I agree a halfback would have been great for us last year. Lewis was far too predictable, partly blame that on coaching though, he actually can kick quite well long distance.

Flanagan has a great kicking game and if he can stay healthy should be a solid pickup.

Oldpanther

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I actually don't think Cleary's long range kicking game was all that great in Origin 2. I did think he made great calls in directing their attack though.

But I agree a halfback would have been great for us last year. Lewis was far too predictable, partly blame that on coaching though, he actually can kick quite well long distance.

Flanagan has a great kicking game and if he can stay healthy should be a solid pickup.
Yeah I just used that because it was most recent but you got what I was getting at. There were a few games this year you guys were really in it and just needed that touch of game management at the back end of games particularly. It's why I don't see Foran as that much of a loss, when on he didn't try to close out games in a way a dominant halfback would though he's a natural 5/8.

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Our team has improved significantly with the signings we've made and the addition of Barrett, Furner, Potter etc will mean that we'll finally have a tactically sound coaching staff who can maximise the potential in our players. Which in itself will make a huge difference.

We'll also sign a few more players before the start of next season. So there's plenty to be optimistic about and there should be no reason why we can't contend for a top 8 spot.
Agree 100%
I can see us pushing for 10th spot possibly 9th if we can bring in some more quality recruits for next year.
It’s looking better now Burton is signed, And him and JAC are real possibilities for next year

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We are all applauding some of the recent signings such as:

Cotric
Flanagan
Hetherington
Waddell
Thompson

And guys coming back from long-term injuries:

Stimson
Elliot

But how much have we improved our roster realistically?

Say Flanagan goes down with a long term injury, our halves pairing is back to Lewis and Wakeham (or a rookie Averillo).

We still have no hooker signed. And we are relying on Meaney to develop into a first grader at fullback. And our wingers are nothing to get excited about.

The biggest unknown is how much more Barrett and co. can get out of this team.

My prediction is a 9-12th finish.
Improvement will come from other areas as well as new players. Coaching will improve out of sight IMO and I really think Tolman held us back in many ways - his loss is a massive plus for us. Having the least dominant forward getting in the way so much was ridiculous. If Lewis isn't there, that will also help a lot and Averillo is promising as a points scoring option.

Getting at least some clean ball out of the ruck should see some improvement, but dummy half is still a massive problem so I think you're 9-12th assessment is pretty fair.

Malla

Reaction score
Improvement will come from other areas as well as new players. Coaching will improve out of sight IMO and I really think Tolman held us back in many ways - his loss is a massive plus for us. Having the least dominant forward getting in the way so much was ridiculous. If Lewis isn't there, that will also help a lot and Averillo is promising as a points scoring option.

Getting at least some clean ball out of the ruck should see some improvement, but dummy half is still a massive problem so I think you're 9-12th assessment is pretty fair.
It wasn’t so much Tolman as much as it was shitty halves who were shit at executing

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
2022 at this stage
Wow, so are you suggesting there is even a 1% chance we could get him for 21? Releasing Burton early wouldn't make sense but this makes even less sense. Hope it happens though. Cheers for the update

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
At the end of 2019 we were giant killing and building on something.
2020 was a disaster with Wira Naera and Okunbor banned then some injuries with no depth.
Not sure Pay quitting was the right move.
We still showed signs of life despite it all.

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It wasn’t so much Tolman as much as it was shitty halves who were shit at executing
Don't disagree he had helpers. He often tried to fill a hole that the halves weren't filling, but he was allowed to do it and did it badly. Also, to be fair, our shit dummy halves should have let him run as a decoy on the 4th instead of passing to him habitually, but he was supposed to be a leader and should've sorted that out at training. For me he just got in the way too much and his defence was soft, even if he did a fair bit of it. Nothing personal against a bloke who tried hard for us for a long time, but we'll be better for him not being in our 17.

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I think all the players we have recruited so far,are improvements on the ones they’ve replaced. Hetherington and Waddell both have an offload. And are quicker and are more agile than Tolman and Sue. Cotric adds speed, power and finishing ability. Having an actual halfback should add the direction we lacked and add some creativity.
The coaching staff are much improved. If Baz can work out how to get the best out of players like Averillo, Meaney DWZ and our dummy halves, We could make the 8. A lot depends on who the last 3 players are and if Burton is 1 of them.

Yougra

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Well , let's have a look at our 1-7 in the last round v the panthers 2020

Hoppa
DWZ
Smith
Holland
OK
Cogger
Wakeham

Now let's look at our possible starting 1-7 for 2021

Allen
DWZ
Cotric
Hoppa
Meaney (Ado Carr 2022)
Avo (Burton ??)
Flanagan

Without doubt we have improved our roster substantially.... just in the backs alone.

Great recruitment by the club

DogsOfWar1704

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score