How much have we really improved the roster?

Where will we finish based on our current roster?

• Top 4

• 5-6

• 7-8

• 9-12

• 14-16

Results are only viewable after voting.

Aristidiz

Bullwog
Reaction score
We are all applauding some of the recent signings such as:

Cotric
Flanagan
Hetherington
Waddell
Thompson

And guys coming back from long-term injuries:

Stimson
Elliot

But how much have we improved our roster realistically?

Say Flanagan goes down with a long term injury, our halves pairing is back to Lewis and Wakeham (or a rookie Averillo).

We still have no hooker signed. And we are relying on Meaney to develop into a first grader at fullback. And our wingers are nothing to get excited about.

The biggest unknown is how much more Barrett and co. can get out of this team.

My prediction is a 9-12th finish.

Weak Gutted Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think, well actually I hope, you are drastically underestimating having an attack oriented coach.

We all know Barrett’s role in the Panthers structure - was attack.

I am hopeful this is the biggest impact he will have.

(Oh and no Tolman the 4 th)

Cappuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

Cotric
Flanagan
Hetherington
Waddell
Thompson

Stimson
Elliot

Say Flanagan goes down with a long term injury, our halves pairing is back to Lewis and Wakeham (or a rookie Averillo).

We still have no hooker signed. And we are relying on Meaney to develop into a first grader at fullback. And our wingers are nothing to get excited about.

Well id say at their level of what weve seen and their potential they all walk into the side.
Who drops out?

Aristidiz

Bullwog
Reaction score
Well id say at their level of what weve seen and their potential they all walk into the side.
Who drops out?
Flanagan in for Foran, which based on skill is a downgrade. But at least we get some consistent health hopefully.

Cotric in for Holland, obviously this is our biggest improvement and should net us a whole lot of extra points.

Thompson has been in for Elliot, honestly don't think Thompson is a prop in the NRL but I would say he is a marginal improvement over Elliot at starting lock.

Hetherington in for Tolman, an improvement attacking-wise but defensively I am not so sure.

Waddell in for ? Not too sure if he will act as a depth signing or even make our top 17 tbh.

Stimson in for Britt. Again I don't think he is ready to take Jackson or RFM's 2nd row position. I think he will just fill a bench role until he eventually takes Jackson's position.

Elliot in for Chris Smith? Decent improvement, overall our bench will be full of more formidable forwards.

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Flanagan in for Foran, which based on skill is a downgrade. But at least we get some consistent health hopefully.

Cotric in for Holland, obviously this is our biggest improvement and should net us a whole lot of extra points.

Thompson has been in for Elliot, honestly don't think Thompson is a prop in the NRL but I would say he is a marginal improvement over Elliot at starting lock.

Hetherington in for Tolman, an improvement attacking-wise but defensively I am not so sure.

Waddell in for ? Not too sure if he will act as a depth signing or even make our top 17 tbh.

Stimson in for Britt. Again I don't think he is ready to take Jackson or RFM's 2nd row position. I think he will just fill a bench role until he eventually takes Jackson's position.

Elliot in for Chris Smith? Decent improvement, overall our bench will be full of more formidable forwards.
thats a fair assessment, i do think Thompson will excel next near as a middle forward.
i think Hetherington will be a good signing, but he cant compared to Tolman as they are 2 different players. Maybe jacko plays middle and takes on the tolman defence role but will add alot more in attack.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
thats a fair assessment, i do think Thompson will excel next near as a middle forward.
i think Hetherington will be a good signing, but he cant compared to Tolman as they are 2 different players. Maybe jacko plays middle and takes on the tolman defence role but will add alot more in attack.
Jackson has to play through the middle, he's absolutely cooked on the edge and looks far more comfortable through the middle. I think I'll cry if he starts on the edge next season.

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
To be honest we still have a pretty below average team

1.Hoppa
6.Flanagan
7.Lewis
9.JMK

Again effort will be there but unless we get a class player or an X factor who can win us games on individual brilliance, we're going to struggle.
if you are running that spine, then Averillo will be 6 and Flanno 7.
Lets hope we have burton at 6 and Averillo at 1

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Cotric
Flanagan
Hetherington
Waddell
Thompson

Stimson
Elliot

If we get Burton for next year that's a massive improvement on what we've got
I'm sure Avo will be FB
Cotric will be a gun
Hetherington will be good if he can stay on the field
A couple of our juniors should crack FG next year - Topine and Schoup

Realistically 22 is the year we should be aiming for. I think we have 14 players off contract and most of them will be gone. If we play attractive football and we are on the cusp of the 8, it will make it so much easier for us to recruit players

The other question is we need a gun 9. A few people on here have said we'll have a gun hooker in 22 so we shall wait and see

The key is Burton. If we get him for 21, that'll give him a year to form a combination with Flanno before we can even challenge for a top 4 spot in 22. We cant waste next year with Lewis or Wakeham in the halves while Burton is playing CC for Penrith - we need him for next year

Aristidiz

Bullwog
Reaction score
To be honest we still have a pretty below average team

1.Hoppa
6.Flanagan
7.Lewis
9.JMK

Again effort will be there but unless we get a class player or an X factor who can win us games on individual brilliance, we're going to struggle.
Agree, the spine remains a huge problem for us and Flanagan in for Foran is not doing too much to sway my opinion on that. Hoppa is a year older, Lewis has shown nil improvement and JMK is what he is.

Avo is our big hope.

DogsOfWar1704

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Barrett will improve the culture, attitude and attacking plays. The new recruits ain't the only change. Barrett is going to change the whole squad. Pushing for the 8

Rassayri

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

In saying that about Foran really believe that Flanno will have more of an impact then Foran ever had on our team IMO the structure and organising esp moving forward plus he could be an 85% goal kicker for us which will be important esp in those close games

Aristidiz

Bullwog
Reaction score
In saying that about Foran really believe that Flanno will have more of an impact then Foran ever had on our team IMO the structure and organising esp moving forward plus he could be an 85% goal kicker for us which will be important esp in those close games
Yeah I agree his goal kicking will be massive for us. I think he can be a great organisational half for us no doubt, but I think without another attacking threat alongside him he will really struggle. I.e. pairing him with Lewis will be diabolical.

Rassayri

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If we get Burton in next year we will be a top 8 team what we have now we will be lingering around the 8th

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

Cotric
Flanagan
Hetherington
Waddell
Thompson

Stimson
Elliot

Just releasing Tolman would elevate us 5 places up the ladder alone