Why shedding rookie fullback Brad Abbey has ended Canterbury’s salary cap woes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Novdoggie

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
So the shedding is over and with that we will now be in the market for some big signings for 2019 with Eastwood and Morris bro's off contract ($2m+) at the end of 2018 so I'm sure we are shopping for some big talent to join us after 2018 season.
We are now cap compliant so the Des-truction left behind won't last that long.

Last edited:

Haza

Kennel Established
Reaction score
We will be in the market for some big signings for 2019 with Eastwood and Morris bro's off contract ($2m+) end of 2018 so I'm sure we are shopping for some big talent to join us after 2018 season.
How can we be sure about that. It will take years before all these back ended deals are all gone from our cap.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Why do we let some players off the hook due to Des and some we don't? I think Abbey had potential just not under Des's gameplan....happy to see him move on though if it get's us back under the cap. Good luck to him but now that he is the enemy than not too much luck lol. Fukin roosters and their unlimited fukin cap, bloody disgraceful. If Cronk goes to them than it's about cash and that's it, I thought higher of him....who the fuk would want to finish their career as a bloody rorter? Than again I guess they did that well at the Storm too. Thought he would take on a club like ours and help bring it back to the glory it deserves.
I agree with you about Abbey. He wasn't sensational, but he offered pretty good support play and I think he might have made a decent Fullback for us. Whether or not he's leaving the club is another matter. The media aren't a reliable source of information regarding player movements.

As far as Cronk to the Roosters goes, we already know that players don't go to the roosters for money, they go to reach their potential like Tedesco. And since Cronk obviously has so much to prove in the game havi8ng barely had an extended rep career and multiple premierships you can understand that he'd be desperate to prove himself.

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
All we have to do id get rid of Eastwood and Holland and with a bit of help from TPA's we should be able to offer Cronk close to a Million a season.

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm Certain we would make a play for Cronk if we had the money, but then if we did the rotters would still get him.

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
How the fuck would they have 1 mil. Lol they lost Guerra skd and Evans and signed Tedesco and upgraded a squad that is stacked with international and origin reps.

I mean this year alone they’ve upgraded Ferguson, Gordon, matterson, Napa (who the other no cap groncos went for) Pearce, tupou and a bunch of other kids

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
No one wants Holland ????
Plz anyone someone
Warriors???
Can you imagine the commentary.. " Annnnd here comes Dutchy Holland, former Bulldog now Warrior sharp shooter "

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
hes a version of tolman in the sense that he will just do his hit ups and make his tackles nothing flash just more powerful
If he has the same stamina and professionalism as Tolman than his a great catch.

SweetFA

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
This no doubt was the big news that Dib has been telling us all about....

Abbey has never risen to the hype surrounding his signing considering the warriors were quite upset to lose him. Saw him described as a " boom rookie" . Showed a bit of a glimpse of some attacking footy but his defence is very poor. Shirt grabber and no commitment to putting his body on the line. Maybe they can toughen him up at Canberra but hinestly can't see him playing anywhere but Mounties the feeder club for Canberra.
The Raiders: another home away from home for Canterbury players. This will make 4 at Canberra; Sezar, Makatoa, Hunt and now Abbey.
And coming the other way; Lee,Woolford,,Lewis & now Priest
Same same

Novocastrian

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We mustnt be over the cap by much if releasing abbey and getting priest puts us under. Is abbey on 300k? Priest must be on peanuts

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score

Abbey has never risen to the hype surrounding his signing considering the warriors were quite upset to lose him. Saw him described as a " boom rookie" . Showed a bit of a glimpse of some attacking footy but his defence is very poor. Shirt grabber and no commitment to putting his body on the line. Maybe they can toughen him up at Canberra but hinestly can't see him playing anywhere but Mounties the feeder club for Canberra.
The Raiders: another home away from home for Canterbury players. This will make 4 at Canberra; Sezar, Makatoa, Hunt and now Abbey.

just before we make final judgement on rookies who had the potential to become super star of the future, remember which coach they have been playing under.

timetopisshasleroff

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Preist is a western sydney boy, plays with a bit of shit in him, much like pay used to do back in the day.

Malla

Reaction score

You could argue its systematic and he never had success here cause of Des.

dogsballs

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Sounds like we were probably only 150k or so over then after we moved on graham. So the priest guy must be on min wage and lichaa is probably back ended for the second year. Not a bad outcome in the end imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.