Not open for further replies.

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Here's how we sign Cronk
I know the back ended payments has been our demise
But for change we can make it work to our advantage
We sign Cronk as a player and assistant couch
We pay him $$$$ as a couch and the minimum $80k and we back end the payment for the rest of his contract 2019.
The Rorters paid Fitler after he retired $600k a season for 2 seasons to train their juniors how to kick a ball
Where there is a will there is a way

The Dominator

Kennel Established
Reaction score
So Abbey was on so much coin that we can now keep B-Moz, re-sign Lichaa and throw in Clay Priest on the deal. Looks like we have signed the roosters accountant.

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Abbey wont ever make the NRL... His old coach said he was soft when he signed with the dogs and he didn’t even react to that comment by way of not being a soft ****

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Abbey didn't improve over the last two years which could be part due to coaching however his total lack of commitment in the collision in attack and defence has nothing to do with coaching - just watch the Manly game how he avoided contact wherever possible - for anyone who didn't see much of reserve grade - he was below average there weekly.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Watch him kill it next year. He'll be a superstar and win the dall... wait, he's joining Canberra. Poor guy, RIP his career.

Novdoggie

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think Mbye is the biggest one and he has 4 years to go. Prob Tolman, Klemm and Jacko would be on escalating contracts as well. The good news though is the cap goes up each year to over $10m by the end of the TV deal in 5 years.
No different to any other team. Shedding four of our biggest salary cap eaters in the space of a year puts us in a much better position to buy a couple superstars.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
hes a version of tolman in the sense that he will just do his hit ups and make his tackles nothing flash just more powerful
Replacement for others cut by the club from Intrust I suppose. Hope he is at least worthwhile.

Kennar and Abbey can now be crossed off the list of players who were off contract in 2018. That leaves just these...

Tom Carr, Josh Cleeland, Greg Eastwood, Asipeli Fine, Matt Frawley, Brenko Lee, Lachlan Lewis, Rhyse Martin, Brett Morris, Josh Morris, Zac Woolford

11 players off contract

belmore_utd

Pro Golf Hack
Reaction score
Cap woes wont subside untill 2020 when some overpaid and useless flops overvalued contracts expire.

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry but if the Roosters nab Cronk that'll do me.

Pretty obvious they are doing dodgy shit.
IT will show how the whole system is rotten to the core. The media are selective in what they write to protect the Rorters, NRL are happy to let this go, Roosters know they have the green light to keep doing it, NRL unable to prove anything anyway and the cap undermined anyway by TPAs etc that are allowed.

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
No different to any other team. Shedding four of our biggest salary cap eaters in the space of a year puts us in a much better position to buy a couple superstars.
Don't disagree with that, but was only making the observation that we have others on escalating contracts that go beyond 2018 and so it won't just be smooth sailing next year. It is no doubt true that all clubs sign players on escalating contracts. Our biggest problem wasn't signing the players, it was gambling that the cap would be $10m and we could fit them plus Foran/Woods in. When it chopped back we were left with our butts in the air and had to take some drastic steps.

Magilla

Kennel Established
Reaction score
This whole 3rd party deals thing shows gives away exactly what the NRL are about.
They couldn't really care about a level playing for the competition. If they did, then they would not allow 3rd party deals.
No, the NRL only put a salary cap in place so clubs do not overspend and hence become broke so the NRL does not have to bail them out, NOT to make it a level playing field.
The NRL only care about money, not a level playing field
If they didn't allow TPA deals then the players could argue a restraint of trade. The clubs must have no involvement in TPA's with the players and their Agents the ones who negotiate those deals. In reality the Clubs are probably involved.

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If they didn't allow TPA deals then the players could argue a restraint of trade. The clubs must have no involvement in TPA's with the players and their Agents the ones who negotiate those deals. In reality the Clubs are probably involved.
100% clubs are involved in at least a discussion if not more. Look at Parramatta and also look at the pool Roosters, Souths, Brisbane and to a slightly lesser extent Melbourne can draw upon.

If I was in a position to help the Dogs out I would simply have a quiet word to the club about helping to sign or retain a player.

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know the Roosters have ways of manipulating the cap, but the fact that the Storm and Roosters can be under the cap and we were apparently over by a million $ says a lot about our management and recruiting.
It has a lot to do with how much you pay your bottom half of the cap as it is about your top players. For years we have been too loyal as a club and overpaid our fringe players for their service. Thats what got us in trouble in 2002. Guys like the Hughes brothers were getting state of origin type money.
I remember Phil Gould said at the time it was bad management as you could easily fit our 2002 team within the cap.

Btw the only reason we got in trouble was that dodgy fat developer/builder guy Achillies Constantinidis leaked our Stardome payments and other info to Kate McClymont (who got a f***ing journalism award for it).

bcmf

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
100% clubs are involved in at least a discussion if not more. Look at Parramatta and also look at the pool Roosters, Souths, Brisbane and to a slightly lesser extent Melbourne can draw upon.

If I was in a position to help the Dogs out I would simply have a quiet word to the club about helping to sign or retain a player.
Yep I would. And if dib knew how to help the club, he'd become the shadow man. He's rich enough and that's where we need help cause his management skills are terrible.

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I remember Phil Gould said at the time it was bad management as you could easily fit our 2002 team within the cap.

Btw the only reason we got in trouble was that dodgy fat developer/builder guy Achillies Constantinidis leaked our Stardome payments and other info to Kate McClymont (who got a f***ing journalism award for it).
AND she didn't know what was happening until she spoke to some league writers. It just fell into her lap & was awarded for it.

At the time I spoke to a couple of player mangers who said that the Roosters would be more over the cap than the Dogs because they had to pay overs to get players in but paid players under the table to get them there.

If you go back in time and assess each team's lists we would have been about 8-10th in best lists. It was all a big joke that we were the only ones that got caught. You might have noticed that some of the bigger clubs lost a few players after that because they got scared.

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Yep I would. And if dib knew how to help the club, he'd become the shadow man. He's rich enough and that's where we need help cause his management skills are terrible.
That's the thing though, if you have any sort of association with the club you can't be involved in TPA's.

Powerslide

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think Mbye is the biggest one and he has 4 years to go. Prob Tolman, Klemm and Jacko would be on escalating contracts as well. The good news though is the cap goes up each year to over $10m by the end of the TV deal in 5 years.
quite possible that Foran and Woods are back ended too. releasing players but having to still pay a chunk of the salary ensure any new signings will be back ended too. Reckon it'll take 4 years to be back on even footing. That doesn't mean we can't be successful though... just that it'll be just that little bit harder.

Dogna88

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I thought nrl would register back ended contracts anymore

Status
Not open for further replies.