Not open for further replies.

TalDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why shedding rookie fullback Brad Abbey has ended Canterbury’s salary cap woes
Michael Carayannis & Christian Nicolussi, The Daily Telegraph
an hour ago
Subscriber only
CANTERBURY’S salary cap woes are all but over with rookie fullback Brad Abbey set to join Canberra on a two-year deal.

Abbey’s departure will almost certainly get Canterbury salary cap compliant next year, meaning the NRL will register the contracts of Kieran Foran and Aaron Woods within weeks.

It also quashes speculation that either Brett or Josh Morris will be squeezed out of the club.

It is understood Raiders forward Clay Priest will join Canterbury as part of the deal.

The Bulldogs’ blew their salary cap budget by up to $1 million after they over-estimated next year’s NRL’s salary cap.

Abbey has spent two seasons at the Bulldogs
Despite this they still signed Foran and Woods to rich contracts while they enticed Cronulla half/hooker Nu Brown to the club. The departures of Abbey and former skipper James Graham should have the club under the salary cap.

Abbey, 20, joined the Bulldogs last year on a three-year deal. The Bulldogs beat Melbourne to land his signature after he was squeezed out of the Warriors to make way for Roger Tuivasa-Sheck.

Abbey went on to play four top-grade games in his debut season this year.

Meanwhile, Canterbury have continued to bring back ‘Bulldogs people’ by appointing three-time premiership winner Andrew Farrar as the club’s new general manager of football. Farrar — who is also a Bulldogs board member — replaces Alan Thompson.

“I have a great affinity for the Bulldogs and have greatly enjoyed my association with them as a player and board member,” Farrar said.

TalDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nek minute....announce Cooper Cronk! :tonguewink:
No this was at the bottom of the same article lol they have 800K wtf

CRONK TO THE CHOOKS?
THE whispers of Cooper Cronk joining the Sydney Roosters next year just won’t go away.

The premiership winning halfback has kept a decision on his playing future very close to his chest, and the Roosters are watching closely.

Apparently the tricolours still have about $800,000 spare in their salary cap for next year despite signing Wests Tigers fullback James Tedesco.

Throw in a couple of third party deals and Cronk could easily get the $1 million he commands.

Lov_Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
No this was at the bottom of the same article lol they have 800K wtf

CRONK TO THE CHOOKS?
THE whispers of Cooper Cronk joining the Sydney Roosters next year just won’t go away.

The premiership winning halfback has kept a decision on his playing future very close to his chest, and the Roosters are watching closely.

Apparently the tricolours still have about $800,000 spare in their salary cap for next year despite signing Wests Tigers fullback James Tedesco.

Throw in a couple of third party deals and Cronk could easily get the $1 million he commands.
Cannot be serious!!!

Who gives; Pierce / Keary?

~c.

Kila R Ralai

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe Broncos might make a play for Cronk as well.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
This no doubt was the big news that Dib has been telling us all about....

Abbey has never risen to the hype surrounding his signing considering the warriors were quite upset to lose him. Saw him described as a " boom rookie" . Showed a bit of a glimpse of some attacking footy but his defence is very poor. Shirt grabber and no commitment to putting his body on the line. Maybe they can toughen him up at Canberra but hinestly can't see him playing anywhere but Mounties the feeder club for Canberra.
The Raiders: another home away from home for Canterbury players. This will make 4 at Canberra; Sezar, Makatoa, Hunt and now Abbey.

Last edited:

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Happy abbey is gone just not up to it

ddt192

The Blue N White Butcher Stripe
Reaction score
How does Clay Priest go ? Anyone know much about him ?

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
How does Clay Priest go ? Anyone know much about him ?
He’s hasn’t played much NRL and is 28 I think. He’s a decent enough squad player that would probably be in NSW Cup if we had a full strength team. He runs hard and is pretty sound defensively.

Brizdog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Abbey shouldn't have been signed in the first place. First abbey and then holland. Great recruiting by des and crusher. I have seen the jillaroos tackle harder than abbey and put their bodies on the line.

Moey

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Good riddance to another waste of space. PAY must have been reading my comments... haha

Never ever was FG material..

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Why do we let some players off the hook due to Des and some we don't? I think Abbey had potential just not under Des's gameplan....happy to see him move on though if it get's us back under the cap. Good luck to him but now that he is the enemy than not too much luck lol. Fukin roosters and their unlimited fukin cap, bloody disgraceful. If Cronk goes to them than it's about cash and that's it, I thought higher of him....who the fuk would want to finish their career as a bloody rorter? Than again I guess they did that well at the Storm too. Thought he would take on a club like ours and help bring it back to the glory it deserves.

Dogna88

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I don't think eastwood will go. Article says we are cap compliant so he will be included in the team

Status
Not open for further replies.