It's a culture problem': Bulldogs breakdown - Where are they going wrong? | NRL 360 | Fox League

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Won't make a difference. Squad is weak. Suck it up
It will make a difference to pick the better effort players. Perham and now Oki gone hopefully so it should help.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Leadership? So you tell your Club Captain to look elsewhere despite having 2 more years left on his contract?
It's a train wreck and fact is you can't build any fucken "culture" when your churning players at the rate we churn.
For the last 2 years we've let go 12 players, then 10 players. At seasons end. RFM and Averillo were our longest serving Bulldogs. Both leaving.
End of this year we are churning at least 9 players.
That's 31 players in 3 years.
And you wanna talk to me about building an identity and a culture?
Well that cuts both ways.
How many players are doing OK now in other teams that used to play with us?
Meaney, R Smith, DWZ, Montoya, CHN ( before injured), JMK, Elliot, Cogger, others haven't kicked on granted, but the churn has been culture destroying.
We are in such an unmitigated mess now roster wise that this will take at least 6 to 8 years to fix. We developed Averillo, now we're letting one of our best finishers leave, over a pay dispute of around $100k.
More pain to come. You Betya.
Simple maths, there’s Top 30 and the average NRL contract is 3 years, that’s on average 10 players lost/gained each year.

Always a Bulldog

The_Chimpster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Leadership? So you tell your Club Captain to look elsewhere despite having 2 more years left on his contract?
It's a train wreck and fact is you can't build any fucken "culture" when your churning players at the rate we churn.
For the last 2 years we've let go 12 players, then 10 players. At seasons end. RFM and Averillo were our longest serving Bulldogs. Both leaving.
Meaney, R Smith, DWZ, Montoya, CHN ( before injured), JMK, Elliot, Cogger, others haven't kicked on granted, but the churn has been culture destroying.
We are in such an unmitigated mess now roster wise that this will take at least 6 to 8 years to fix. We developed Averillo, now we're letting one of our best finishers leave, over a pay dispute of around $100k.
Makes you sick to your stomach doesn't it ;)

Trinfly

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think Read is right in that we have some players who aren't buying into what Ciraldo is trying to achieve. If RFM is whinging about how hard we train then he isn't the player we want or need.

If you've ever heard Peter Tunks or Willie Mason interviewed about training they always say "we knew we trained harder than anyone else". It made them a hard team to beat because no team ever could belt them as hard as they belted each other at training. Look at the mentality of the Panthers in defence, they go up a gear and look like they love defending. We need to get players who will buy in like they do.
There was a time 80s and 90s I think where players weren't allowed to needle up for a game I'm not suggesting we return to those days maybe that formed part of the DNA the dogs were famous for.

Trinfly

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anything worthwhile or just bullshit cliches and nostalgia?
Grub was asked if he liked Luai for 6 he said "yes, a good 6 has to have a bit of grub in him" but he was careful not to step on Burton toes.

Last edited:

shannon2009

Kennel Established
Reaction score
When your club captain is complaining about hard training, he’s not helping you build a great culture is he? He’s weak, mentally and physically on field you can see he’s not up to it.

Dogs Of War

On the Warpath
Reaction score
There was a time 80s and 90s I think where players weren't allowed to needle up for a game I'm not suggesting we return to those days maybe that formed part of the DNA the dogs were famous for.
Your kidding if you think that wasn't happening. And it was our forward pack and backups in the 80s that won us heaps of games. You only need to look at NSW Cup team lists to understand that.

90s when the salary cap came in, we still had a good production line of juniors coming through. Stuff Gus is building again for us.

BlackDawg

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
When your top 30 has 20 players that wouldn't be in the NRL if they were at another club you have to churn. The fact is we let our junior production line die under Des then successive boards did knee jerk recruitment decisions paying massive overs for absolute plods over & over without even trying to fix the juniors. 8 years on and I havent seen any marquee juniors. Culture has its place in being successful but no amount of culture can fix a team full of players that are not NRL standard.