It's a culture problem': Bulldogs breakdown - Where are they going wrong? | NRL 360 | Fox League

djdeep4172

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Interesting discussion about our defensive issues. As usual, the drunk takes a shot at Gus about our development system but Brent Read corrects him and makes him look stupid. Anasta seems like he's genuinely concerned about the club as an ex player.

Transcript version-
The Bulldogs have been criticised for their mixed messages on rebuilding the club through their pathways amid a number of conflicting recruitment and retention decisions.

The Bulldogs have let Jake Averillo leave and fellow local junior Paul Alamoti could follow him out the door, while they have signed Toby Sexton and Liam Knight with Blake Taaffe reportedly set to join from the Bunnies.

The Daily Telegraph’s Phil Rothfield questioned the direction of the club amid the recruitment vs retention debate surrounding the Bulldogs rebuild.

“Where is this club going?” Rothfield asked on NRL 360.

“Three weeks ago Phil Gould said, we are going to build from within. We are going to do pathways.

“They let Jake Averillo go to the Dolphins. They brought in Toby Sexton from outside, who is a handy halfback.

“They bring in Liam Knight from Souths. They are bringing in Bronson Xerri. They are bidding for Tino Fa’asuamaleaui. They are bidding for Payne Haas.”

However, Brent Read countered that pathways is a long-term solution and the Bulldogs need to couple that strategy with some win now signings, which sparked a debate with Rothfield.

“The one thing I will say in their defence is pathways takes time,” Read said.

“You can’t click your fingers and wave a magic wand.”

“They have got two pathways players who have come off-contract this year, who were local juniors,” Rothfield shot back.

“Alamoti they are in talks with and Averillo got offered a big, big deal,” Read replied.

“I agree with you they probably should have kept Averillo and maybe let Alamoti go, but there is no use in keeping them both because Xerri is coming next year and they expect him to be one of their centres.”

“He hasn’t played in four years,” Rothfield fired back.

“It is not building form within. They were developed local juniors.”

“But they are working on their pathways and they have had great results in the lower grades this year,” Read replied.

“So they are making progress there. But in the short-term if you want to win, they need to bring players in and that’s why they are getting linked with guys like Luai, Haas and Tino because they will help you win now.

“People at Canterbury want to see success now and if you rely purely on pathways that will take time.”

NRL greats Braith Anasta and Gorden Tallis qthen uestioned if the Bulldogs’ recent signings will help them turn things around when even better players they have signed in recent years have failed to do so.

“Do you think Liam Knight and Blake Taaffe will help them win?” Anasta asked.

“Well there is another aspect to it because at least those players come from a winning system and they don’t have a lot of blokes from winning systems at the moment,” Read replied.

“They will come in and help in the short-term. I think Blake Taaffe is a good footballer.”

“Reed Mahoney came from a winning system,” Tallis interjected.

“Josh Addo-Carr came from a winning system. Matt Burton came form a winning system. Viliame Kikau came form a winning system.”

“But they are driving standards and eventually that will pay off, but it takes time,” Read replied.

However, Anasta is concerned that the standards the big Bulldogs’ signings are trying to drive are not being met.

“This is the worry, they are driving the standards, but the standards aren’t there,” Anasta said.

This is the worry, the fact that it has been identified over the last couple of years. We all know it.

“They have made big purchases. Where are the standards there and why aren’t they being upheld?

“All the good clubs it is next man up.”

However, Read believes the Bulldogs are trying to overcome years of failure and there may be more pain before they turn things around as club boss Phil Gould forecast.

“But they are not a good club, they haven’t been a good club for six years,” Read said.

“They are not a good club and they are trying to become one.

“I don’t even think next year they are going to be much better.

“The competition is better when the Bulldogs are going well, but I think even next year is too soon for them.

“I think it is two years away at the very earliest.”

Anasta questioned if the Bulldogs are still a quality halfback away from turning around their poor on-field results.

“Taaffe and Knight are handy recruits, but they have got to have another big fish they are trying to land,” Anasta said.

“Is their a No.7? They were going for Hunt there for a while. Is there anyone else on the radar?”

“I would have thought they have got Crichton at fullback, Mahoney at hooker and Burton at five-eighth,” Rothfield said.

“They need a halfback more than Payne Haas.”

Read believes the Bulldogs should go hard for Cowboys star Tom Dearden.

“You know who I would be going after is Tom Dearden,” Read said.

“He has got one more year left on his deal. The Cowboys have offered him a three-year extension.

“Luai and Dearden are the two elite halves coming off in the next 12 months.

“The Cowboys have tabled a three-year extension for Tom Dearden. As far as I know as yet he hasn’t taken it.

“If he goes to November 1, I would be having a red hot go at him.”

“What about Luai?” Tallis asked.

“Luai on one side and Burton on the other?”

“Luai could probably work,” Rothfield said.
“Luai or Dearden.”
Tallis agreed the Bulldogs desperately need a No.7 over front-rowers to climb up the ladder.
“They need a halfback,” Tallis said.
“They have got enough in their forward pack to go forward.
“I don’t know what has happened with Pangai Jr. He has promised the world and given you an Atlas at every club he has gone to, so he hasn’t quite found his mojo.
“I believe a really good halfback can turn a poor set into a good set. A halfback is very important.”

Malla

Reaction score
Honest question:
Preston is the only one who puts in a consistently high performance tho. The rest are up and down and/or lazy/can't handle it. Who else are we replacing to instill a better culture if the current playing group (majority) are not up to scratch.
In my view, you just have to start from scratch with development in your SG Ball and Jersey Flegg squads. Building them up in a high performance culture so when they are ready to transition into first grade they are ready. It's hard to change habits of grown men, can be done but takes a lot of work. You only have to look at the likes of our current 'experienced' squad members who just aren't up to scratch - RFM, Sutton, TPJ, Waddell, Oks etc. It's too late in their careers to change them. I think what Gus is trying to do is buy the right players who are experienced and have been in successful systems to help devlier a culture change. Unfortunately, some haven't worked out (ie. Sutton), and signings like Knight will help.
Unless we get Haas and Tino, I don't see Dogs success on the field changing much by 2025.

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
It's not a culture problem. Its a personnel problem.

Dogs are trying to instill a culture and the current playing group (majority) are not up to scratch. As a club, what do you do, fold to the players and make them happy or push forward with your culture expectations and replace those can't handle it with those that can? I know which one Gus and CC are going for.
Correct - People create the culture. Trying to do it the other way around doesnt work despite what the Conference Circuit Gurus of the 90s n early 2000s idealized.

First thing with leadership / change - get the right people!!!

No amount of heritage n history learning, smoking ceremonies etc will improve an organisation without the right people with all of - the right skills work ethic and attitude in the right places.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
First of all I already agreed with Perham. Secondly, the players in reserve grade are actually worse than Okunbor. There is an absolute massive difference between NSW cup and the NRL. Whether he picks the players you want will not change how many games we've won.

"Players, fans, lovers of the game and our club, would buy in more to Ciro if he was consistently making wise player selections and rotations to enable his new club defensive strategies."

This is your quote, his defensive strategies won't work when replacing shit with shit. We don't have the players, and with the small amount of experienced players we do have, unfortunately most haven't played much footy or none at all, Kikau, Thompson etc etc.
I stand by that sentence as well.

Every week we have an analysis of his selections and its raised that there are better options which most agree with. When losing by such huge margins, you're gonna get fans questioning decisions. We are all well aware of the injuries. At the start of the year tho most fans were happy enough with the roster. They have gone downhill.

Not turning this into an argument when its not necessary.

You agree his selection of Perham was a problem for too long. I, and most others, think that Oki doesn't deserve a spot either. No problem if you do tho.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
In my view, you just have to start from scratch with development in your SG Ball and Jersey Flegg squads. Building them up in a high performance culture so when they are ready to transition into first grade they are ready. It's hard to change habits of grown men, can be done but takes a lot of work. You only have to look at the likes of our current 'experienced' squad members who just aren't up to scratch - RFM, Sutton, TPJ, Waddell, Oks etc. It's too late in their careers to change them. I think what Gus is trying to do is buy the right players who are experienced and have been in successful systems to help devlier a culture change. Unfortunately, some haven't worked out (ie. Sutton), and signings like Knight will help.
Unless we get Haas and Tino, I don't see Dogs success on the field changing much by 2025.
Agree but from the ground up from juniors is hard as well. They need to see success and leadership in first grade to filter thru as part of the whole of club success.

We def need to get rid of these continual mistake riddled players and replace with leaders and yet I have yet to see the coach be effective in getting Burto or anyone else putting in 100% on the field. This is a concern if we are now going down the scorched earth path all in with his theories and abilities to motivate.

It kinda looks like we are plucking the word culture out of thin air with not enough of a solid platform atm. It needs to happen so hopefully Gus is getting us some good leaders/forwards to enable this culture revamp.

djdeep4172

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
So with 5 games left and all our players back if we drop our bundle and don’t win most of those I’m calling bullshit to culture..
Team needs to aim up and win remaining games no more of these excuses all of us have been through hell .
All or nothing for season remainder.
No more excuses

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
So with 5 games left and all our players back if we drop our bundle and don’t win most of those I’m calling bullshit to culture..
Team needs to aim up and win remaining games no more of these excuses all of us have been through hell .
No more excuses
Well we are def not getting the most out of what we've got. They can all play better and we've seen that

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I stand by that sentence as well.

Every week we have an analysis of his selections and its raised that there are better options which most agree with. When losing by such huge margins, you're gonna get fans questioning decisions. We are all well aware of the injuries. At the start of the year tho most fans were happy enough with the roster. They have gone downhill.

Not turning this into an argument when its not necessary.

You agree his selection of Perham was a problem for too long. I, and most others, think that Oki doesn't deserve a spot either. No problem if you do tho.
Won't make a difference. Squad is weak. Suck it up

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
But they are driving standards and eventually that will pay off, but it takes time,” Read replied.

BAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

they are the biggest mugs on the team

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
this is exactly what I was talking about the other day they have no idea. Brent Read actually made some valid points - you have to try and sign quality players now to win games while developing as well to sustain success down the track. Buzz is an absolute flog. Nobody speaks a word about the roosters development system or the storm so why are we copping it?
The problem is, our supporters want us to ignore implementing pathways, That Gus has tried to put back in place after the previous management incompetency.

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I think we really need to improve our depth as well. Sign some players for NSW cup but can make the step up to first grade without looking horribly out of their depth. We probably have the worst depth of forwards in terms of quality.

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
No more excuses
Technically we don’t have all our players back…and the sad truth is, we will never play a single round this year with all players available….The Thompson situation assured that

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I think we really need to improve our depth as well. Sign some players for NSW cup but can make the step up to first grade without looking horribly out of their depth. We probably have the worst depth of forwards in terms of quality.
We have been signing quality young blokes for the last couple of years. Hopefully some of those can come through next year

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Technically we don’t have all our players back…and the sad truth is, we will never play a single round this year with all players available….The Thompson situation assured that
He has given our rehab staff plenty to do

craigo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Everyone knows that fox sports and daily telecrap don’t like the bulldogs. Just watching 360 now and buzz said he talked to ciraldo yesterday. Seriously why is anyone at the club giving these idiots the time of day for a chat or interview

Benno Bulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
And what if RFM and Sutton had fronted management on behalf of ALL the players? You don't know if that's the case. Wouldn't the Club Captain be the man to do that?
What if, as appears distinctly possible, that CC has lost the playing group?
What then?
Gus was very shy to say much, rightly so, on 100% Footy last night.
If there's more widespread discontent, the media would sniff it out, UNLESS players weren't allowed to talk to the media. Hmmmm
Under cover of darkness, the animals decided to take action into their own hands.
Good “the animals” are paid to take action and they have. A lot more action to come enjoy the ride.

Doggy71

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Whats the old saying" THE HARDER YOU WORK,THE LUCKIER YOU BECOME",relates to all aspects of life,including those on the sporting field,and unfortunately not all people are up to it. Bellamy's pre seasons are legendary and have broken many "TUFF" men. Talent only gets you so far,all the best sporting teams in the world work harder to achieve success than those around them. We have been an unfit and lazy team for years and its time to pull our finger out and have a red hot crack for a change. If its all to hard for some players, move to another club or contemplate a career change,no shame in that.