Woolies vs Coles, the supermarket wars: Australia Day edition

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
This forum gets away with the slur too, every area that still has a strong demographic of white Australians gets called bogan by this majority 2nd / 3rd generation Australian board. It’s an easy word to use but the real meaning is pretty racist and obvious but alas
I don't get the racial part. Bogan isn't a race. It's just a way of life. I get called a Bogan all the time, and I don't care. I just rev my Commodore and dream of the days that I could still grow a mullet while I stroke my unkempt beard and drink my VB.

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I don't get the racial part. Bogan isn't a race. It's just a way of life. I get called a Bogan all the time, and I don't care. I just rev my Commodore and dream of the days that I could still grow a mullet while I stroke my unkempt beard and drink my VB.
As I said , it’s used here when people refer to any majority white suburbs left, it’s clearly very under-toned.

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Yeah, I agree with that

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
Yeah, I'll support you on that one.
I know where it stemmed from.
The morons involved in the cronulla riots.
Since then there has been a stigma about being a proud Australian proudly wearing your colours.

I think referring to people as bogans for proudly supporting Australia needs to stop.
Doesn't hurt to show a bit of respect to people who are proud to be Australian.
Should look at the facts of the cronulla riots. Far right groups pushed that, people got pissed and the vast majority just acted like clowns. Flags had zero to do with it or any inferences afterwards. And tbf - what happened after that was 10x worse. So do we all hate lebs and call them bogans? Nah - just call them dogs supporters.

So, just a question. If you don't wear a flag, you are not proud to be an Aussie?

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Should look at the facts of the cronulla riots. Far right groups pushed that, people got pissed and the vast majority just acted like clowns. Flags had zero to do with it or any inferences afterwards. And tbf - what happened after that was 10x worse. So do we all hate lebs and call them bogans? Nah - just call them dogs supporters.

So, just a question. If you don't wear a flag, you are not proud to be an Aussie?
The entire cronulla riots and what happened after was a complete shit show.

But to answer your question about not wearing a flag.
As far as I'm concerned wearing a flag, or not wearing a flag doesn't display how proud you are to be an Australian.
I don't drap flags over my back either and I consider myself a proud Australian.
I also think if you do wear a flag, that doesn't make you a Bogan either.
Some people like to promote their pride, others do it quietly.
Wear a flag, wave a flag, don't wear it don't wave it, who cares?

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
I’ve never liked a certain demographic who always say supporting your nation is bogan. It’s really tacky

its always made me laugh when other nations wear l their flags as clothes or literally wear the flag on their back it’s amazing “culture” but it’s bogan If an Australian does it. It’s always a certain divisive side of politics who pushes this agenda too
Oh, come on, man. I’ve seen you use plenty of words that are more divisive than bogan lol

You can’t divide those who have no intention of uniting. You want unity, why not entertain the possibility of a date change?

I’m not against anyone supporting their country. But I don’t like it when people use flags as a substitute for a middle finger.

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I’m not against anyone supporting their country. But I don’t like it when people use flags as a substitute for a middle finger.
Yeah, i know the type you are referring to.
They are pretty obnoxious.

But they are few and far between.
Nor really worth worrying about.
Don't let em get under your skin too much.
The fucking losers don't deserve any energy.

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
The entire cronulla riots and what happened after was a complete shit show.

But to answer your question about not wearing a flag.
As far as I'm concerned wearing a flag, or not wearing a flag doesn't display how proud you are to be an Australian.
I don't drap flags over my back either and I consider myself a proud Australian.
I also think if you do wear a flag, that doesn't make you a Bogan either.
Some people like to promote their pride, others do it quietly.
Wear a flag, wave a flag, don't wear it don't wave it, who cares?
There was what happened before the riots, what happened on the day and what happened after. The day itself got all the news. Before and after were much much worse. But anyways...

Bogan is just a term used to describe a collective. I'm more interested in nationalism. Nationalism focuses on some principle of ownership or some sort of collective right. And it never ends well. Flag wearers (imv) are promoting nationalism no matter how well intentioned they are.

I promote individualism and as a collective support the concept that gives me my individuality. Which is Australia. I don't need to be part of a club. Reminds me of being in a sports team with a fckwit, you let much slide because he's a team mate. No, he's a fckwit and should be treated as such.

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
You want unity, why not entertain the possibility of a date change?
I'm glad you bought up the topic of change the date.
That's the actual point of the boycott after all.

I touched on it in an earlier post.
But to refresh my thought.
Cause let's be honest, it's going to happen one day, the calls to change the date get louder and louder every years and its causing so much division across the country somthing has to give.

I am of the opinion that Australia is also due to become a Republic.
Hypothetical here.
Let's say we have another referendum to become a Republic, and it passes.
I am of the opinion that would be a great time to change the date of Australia date.
To line up with the date we officially become a Republic.

Do you think that would appease?
Obviously you will never ever make everyone happy.

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
There was what happened before the riots, what happened on the day and what happened after. The day itself got all the news. Before and after were much much worse. But anyways...

Bogan is just a term used to describe a collective. I'm more interested in nationalism. Nationalism focuses on some principle of ownership or some sort of collective right. And it never ends well. Flag wearers (imv) are promoting nationalism no matter how well intentioned they are.

I promote individualism and as a collective support the concept that gives me my individuality. Which is Australia. I don't need to be part of a club. Reminds me of being in a sports team with a fckwit, you let much slide because he's a team mate. No, he's a fckwit and should be treated as such.
Nothing wrong with being an individual and not running with the herd.
You do you mate.
Also nothing wrong with waving a flag and celebrating once a year your love for this amazing country.
It's all good, seriously.
Don't let the fringe minority scum of society on either side of the political spectrum get under your skin.
Seriously not worth the trouble.

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Oh, come on, man. I’ve seen you use plenty of words that are more divisive than bogan lol

You can’t divide those who have no intention of uniting. You want unity, why not entertain the possibility of a date change?

My
Original point had nothing to do with Cronulla riots, someone else brought that up. I just said certain people make it out like wearing your flag to events any time of the year is bad if you are Australian but culturally amazing when the Greeks do it at Australian open for example. Regardless I am just pointing something out that people here do lol bogan is the least of their worries when they had to shut down threads on religion due to death threats.

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with being an individual and not running with the herd.
You do you mate.
Also nothing wrong with waving a flag and celebrating once a year your love for this amazing country.
It's all good, seriously.
Don't let the fringe minority scum of society on either side of the political spectrum get under your skin.
Seriously not worth the trouble.
This started with wearing and ended up with waving but thats cool - let me give you an extreme example.

In a certain country years ago a political party was formed and they appropriated a symbol from another religion to represent the party. Early on, all good, the party gained control of the country and was one of the most popular parties in history. Economy was ok, education was good, social welfare was good, people had jobs and everyone was happy. Wearing that symbol became a source of pride in that party. Now fast forward about 10 years, members of that party were being hunted down and executed. That symbol was vilified for evil and countries to this day have banned it.

And that symbol was the swastika.

Yeah its extreme. But how many of the swastika wearers deplored what was happening but said nothing? Because they were part of the herd.

As I said before - extreme example. But for something that really has no point, why create the possibility, no matter how remote, of creating some ideology?

Flags belong on flagpoles. If you wanna do your wavy at an Aussie day bbq - all good. But wearing it? Nah... step too far.

bulldog butch

Kennel Established
Reaction score
My other new favourite part of the modern Australia Day argument takes is being told as a white Australian we stole the land 200 years ago etc etc by someone with a background of a country who still murders people for their religion or race or just recently stopped. Always get a good
Ole giggle out of it
I've got a family member that is the biggest Leftie it's not funny.... So out of touch with reality it's crazy....
Anyways always carrying on about this country being aboriginal land that was invaded and taken away from them etc, and in the next breath will try and make a case why we should have an open door immigration policy for anyone that wants to come here.....
WTF....

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
This started with wearing and ended up with waving but thats cool - let me give you an extreme example.

In a certain country years ago a political party was formed and they appropriated a symbol from another religion to represent the party. Early on, all good, the party gained control of the country and was one of the most popular parties in history. Economy was ok, education was good, social welfare was good, people had jobs and everyone was happy. Wearing that symbol became a source of pride in that party. Now fast forward about 10 years, members of that party were being hunted down and executed. That symbol was vilified for evil and countries to this day have banned it.

And that symbol was the swastika.

Yeah its extreme. But how many of the swastika wearers deplored what was happening but said nothing? Because they were part of the herd.

As I said before - extreme example. But for something that really has no point, why create the possibility, no matter how remote, of creating some ideology?

Flags belong on flagpoles. If you wanna do your wavy at an Aussie day bbq - all good. But wearing it? Nah... step too far.
Hey mate, I'm tapping out of this conversation.
I draw a line in the sand with that.

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
Hey mate, I'm tapping out of this conversation.
I draw a line in the sand with that.
All good mate - but I'll drop out myself with one last line. White supremacists like to wear the Aussie flag and the swastika. yeah - very very small minority but will it always be like that? I hope so.

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
All good mate - but I'll drop out myself with one last line. White supremacists like to wear the Aussie flag and the swastika. yeah - very very small minority but will it always be like that? I hope so.
It's all good mate, no hard feelings from my end.
I do see where you are heading with that point. I just don't agree with it and really don't want to go down that rabbit hole.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I have a swastika tattoo

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Oh no. I'll have one less source of tacky Australia Day merchandise from a predatory grocery supplier. Not that I can prioritise wasteful crap like that when on average I see them bump prices up on shit I have to buy frequently by around 25%. There's about 12 items I decided to forfeit buying when Coles and Woolies decided to bump the price up on together. Collusion on prices used to be illegal and I frequently see it with Coles and Woolworths. So I might seem stingy to boycott products I used to love over prices. But I am stubborn like that. Alongside of that they've slashed their wage spend by culling night fill jobs and limiting register staff to bare bones.

So I don't give a shit about them dumping this merchandise. Would like to see the government introduce some law where they cap the amount of profit they can make on any item to a certain percentage. For sake of discussion we'll say they can't go over 15% profit on anything.

The flow on effect of this would be that if they're paying $5 a kg for meat, $1 per kg after processing and transport etc, the sales price for us would reflect that they can put it on the shelf for say cost to them of $6.50/kg. If there was an upper limit of 15% profit they couldn't charge $14/kg while short changing suppliers and gouging their customers. They'd have to sell the meat for around $8/kg. Apply a $6 saving to every kg of meat you buy. I know that I tend to stock up on soft drinks when they have a half price sale. I assume that Coke aren't dropping their supply price to accommodate the supermarket. So it's safe to say that if they can do a half price sale they regularly make and still profit. They're usually getting 100% plus profit on a bottle of coke when it's not on sale. That's likely the case with 99% of their items.

Maybe Australia Day gear only makes them 10-15% profit per item so they're dumping them. End of the day, I'm not going to rage about it. But I'd love to see the cost of groceries made affordable by the simple idea of having the profit cap on things. If they wanted to go over that cap the excess would be directly applicable to taxation for every cent profit over the 15%.
Was reading an article recently re this inquiry the Govt is conducting into supermarkets. An example was breakfast cereal. The big 2 charge $10 for the large boxes of Cornflakes/Nutragrain....apparently they only pay Kellogs $2.40 for it!

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
I'm glad you bought up the topic of change the date.
That's the actual point of the boycott after all.

I touched on it in an earlier post.
But to refresh my thought.
Cause let's be honest, it's going to happen one day, the calls to change the date get louder and louder every years and its causing so much division across the country somthing has to give.

I am of the opinion that Australia is also due to become a Republic.
Hypothetical here.
Let's say we have another referendum to become a Republic, and it passes.
I am of the opinion that would be a great time to change the date of Australia date.
To line up with the date we officially become a Republic.

Do you think that would appease?
Obviously you will never ever make everyone happy.
Honestly, if we do change the date, I can’t guarantee everyone on the left will be happy. But I can guarantee you’ll never hear another complaint from me about it. My issue isn’t with the idea of a national day to celebrate the nation. My issue is with a large number of people saying they don’t feel like they can celebrate that date and could we pick a date that’s more inclusive, only to get shouted down.