Why the Bulldogs?

NovaScotiaDog

Waterboy
Reaction score
First game was earlier but the first I remember is the 1965 grand final when that freakish crowd of 78,000+ what a day. My sister was feeling faint and a guy very close gave her his sock full of ice lol. Did the job. They were passing women who had fainted over their heads and over the fence to the grassed area. Unfortunately berries weren’t playing but had already caught the fever

Ant2611

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry mate but I can top that.
My first game was in 1958 against Saints at Kogarah Oval. I was 4 years old.
But can you remember the score? Well done. 1954 was a great vintage....

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Blue was a boy's colour.
Back in the 1800s, blue was for girls because it was a calm colour. Pink was for boys as it was considered the colour for activity.
Somewhere along the way the colours were changed around for the genders.

Ant2611

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
No but we got hammered by probably the best ever team.
Yeah same in 64. We won the spoon a 2 games and drew one from memory... Maybe last year wasnt as bad as I thought..............yes it was...

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
First game was earlier but the first I remember is the 1965 grand final when that freakish crowd of 78,000+ what a day. My sister was feeling faint and a guy very close gave her his sock full of ice lol. Did the job. They were passing women who had fainted over their heads and over the fence to the grassed area. Unfortunately berries weren’t playing but had already caught the fever
My Dad and I attempted to get into the ground. We got there 3 hours prior to kick off. There were people sitting on top of the old Brewongle and Sheridan Stands. We turned around and went home. It was the last grand final with open admission. All ticket affairs from 1966 onwards.

Ant2611

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
My Dad and I attempted to get into the ground. We got there 3 hours prior to kick off. There were people sitting on top of the old Brewongle and Sheridan Stands. We turned around and went home. It was the last grand final with open admission. All ticket affairs from 1966 onwards.
I sat on my dads shoulders all game. Dont know why we went as I was blue and white by then Saint George beat Souths 12. 8. funny the things you remember. Also remember people on top of the stands and in trees. Lucky I had a good bladder in those days.....

Yougra

Kennel Established
Reaction score
What about those hotdogs as you’re leaving the ground. Old man in white coat, Softest buns, boiling hot dogs with mustard sauce on a freezing Friday night. Can’t beat it, especially after a win. The simple things in life are the best.
Haha yeah and the hotdogs were a funny pink colour....tasted great though:grinning:

UndeadShadowMan

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Going to Bankstown Square as an 8 year old in 1980 I asked my parents why are there blue & white streamers & balloons everywhere my parents told me the Bulldogs have made the grand final. They were selling blue drinks & blue donuts at one of the shops which I had then asked my parents could I watch the game when it's on. After watching that Steve Gearin try I was hooked for life.

UmoGus

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
3rd generation dogs supporter here. My grandfather who couldn't speak any English would walk us down to BSG to watch the dogs train. Never had a choice but to support the dogs

dogon

Kennel Established
Reaction score
The colours and Dr George Peponis made it a non brainer for me .
Les Johns presented me a pennant for winning a schoolboy knockout & asked me to come & watch him play at Belmore Oval. The next Sunday I lent on the old picket fence watching his mastery & was hooked for life. My geography teacher was Canterbury's captain coach pommie Roger Pearman he also persuaded some school mates to become supporters as well. His favourite word was 'enervating' relating to the hot humid Aussie summer.

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Les Johns presented me a pennant for winning a schoolboy knockout & asked me to come & watch him play at Belmore Oval. The next Sunday I lent on the old picket fence watching his mastery & was hooked for life. My geography teacher was Canterbury's captain coach pommie Roger Pearman he also persuaded some school mates to become supporters as well. His favourite word was 'enervating' relating to the hot humid Aussie summer.
LJ is my favourite Canterbury player of all time. I feel sorry for those in our fan base who never saw how great he played. Forced the Australian selectors to put Langlands (an immortal) in the centres to get them both in the team. I think of the potential carnage to our opponents had LJ played in the same team as Turvey and Baa.