Why the Bulldogs?

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Is that why Newtown was a close 2nd for me.
Whats up with Penrith then, fuckin pansies.
Na Newtown was actually my dad's team because that's where he lived when he came to Australia and the Dogs were my mums. Dad then adopted the Dogs and obviously I had no choice but to support us. I actually got dropped during the 95 gf celebrations, guess it explains a few things :tearsofjoy:

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Born Canterbury Hospital, grew up and lived in Belmore. I had no choice but to follow the dogs. Earliest I can remember going to BSG was around 83-84. I loved how the council used to deck out Burwood Road Belmore in blue and white during GF week. Bulldog heartland was the best growing up as a little kid, the days where you’d ride your bike around Belmore by yourself and parents didn’t worry about you. Different days, so fortunate to have had that childhood.

capt obvious

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
My experience is very similar to yours. Grew up in Earlwood, old man started taking me to Belmore in 77 or 78 and I have a great memory of the prelim final in 1979 against Parra at the SCG. Sitting in the little stand next to the hill, full of Bulldog supporters watching Steve Mortimer take Parra apart. Great memories
Did you play for earlwood saints bro ?

Bulldog Wrestler

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Grew up in the heartland. Most of my school friends supported the Berries, about the time I was becoming aware of rugby league. Although, the first game I ever saw live was the Dragons, at Kogarah Jubilee Oval (forget who they played). Was soon a regular at Belmore games. Lucky enough to be there through the greatness of the 70s and 80s. It's in the blood, it's in the DNA - always a Bulldog.

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
My experience is very similar to yours. Grew up in Earlwood, old man started taking me to Belmore in 77 or 78 and I have a great memory of the prelim final in 1979 against Parra at the SCG. Sitting in the little stand next to the hill, full of Bulldog supporters watching Steve Mortimer take Parra apart. Great memories
Reminiscing but they were great days buddy, we ran teams ragged in that finals series! In the GF we were stiff too.

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Born in Canterbury Hospital my old boy’s best man was Barry Nelson. Remember one day at Lidcombe Oval bumping into Barry he introduced me to Turvey and Bullfrog. Great Club , Great Players even better fan base Bring on ‘22 we are getting close to those day’s when every other team and supporters hate playing us
I was also born in Canterbury hospital.
You mention Lidcombe my dad used to take us to some Wests games too there I loved the Vs Manly bloodbaths Fibro/silvertail great battles those games were.

oldpuppy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was born in Melbourne. it's not my fault. :(
I was raised in Canterbury and went to school there from kindergarten to the end of high school.
My first memory of going to see the berries was 1976 at belmore vs magpies. We lost a close one and I cried. I recall Chris Anderson dropping the ball cold like Neville Glover in the 1976 GF.
Chris was a brilliant winger though. He served the club and rep teams well.
1977 I had better memories particularly with Bob McCarthy and a young turvey on the rise. Steve Hage seemed like he was always getting sent off.

mr j

Kennel Established
Reaction score
First game I ever watched a game was Dogs v Eels 1986 GF. Can’t believe Mark Bugden hogs the ball on the last play of the game with Dogs attacking on the Eels try line. Felt so sorry for the Dogs that they lost. If they spread the ball they score. If Dogs won I’d probably be an Eels fan. So all thanks to Mark Budgens selfish play I ended up a Dogs fan.

steeliz

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
When my parents and I moved out from Greece we lived in Campsie.

Went to Harcourt Public, then Belmore Boys.

Lived on Loftus St right behind the muddy carpark. As a 10yo I kicked out 2 fence pailings at the back of the unit complex and would walk down the hill, across the carpark and watch the second halves of all the home games. Run onto the field at fulltime with the players and then troll through the stadium looking for a Big League magazine. Such a shame kids can't do things like this anymore.

Also at the time George Peponis was about the only Greek in public life. Bulldogs Captain, Australian Captain.

It was just meant to be.

Last edited:

Hulk76

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I remember playing at Belmore sports and then sticking around to watch the big boys play. We would go through a hole in the fence onto the railway line when they would kick for goal in that end, and then it was a foot race against the ball boys trying to catch us as we tried to take the old leather balls home..think we only ever got two of them lol. How can you not support the might blue and white!

Kenya

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
First game I ever watched a game was Dogs v Eels 1986 GF. Can’t believe Mark Bugden hogs the ball on the last play of the game with Dogs attacking on the Eels try line. Felt so sorry for the Dogs that they lost. If they spread the ball they score. If Dogs won I’d probably be an Eels fan. So all thanks to Mark Budgens selfish play I ended up a Dogs fan.
That was the Parra 4:2 Gf win?

Dannyboi88

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I guess I was. A bulldogs supporter as a young fellow like 3-4 I have pics in the jersey but for a minute I backed Newcastle up until the match in 98 Melbourne played the dogs at belmore in the pissing down rain and we won and from that day I barracked for the dogs

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
The first game I watched was the 2004 GF. The Bulldogs won and my favourite colour has always been blue so easy decision... (I think I told myself I'd go for whoever wins, but I really couldn't see myself supporting the Roosters for multiple reasons looking back on it now...) I'd say from 2012 onwards I was a proper fanatic tho (2012-2016ish was my favourite time being a supporter, obviously being in 2 GF's and I just loved the players/roster/coach we had during this period). I think being successful is very important for the kids/gaining new supporters.

Bulldogz82

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Similiar to most I was basically born a bulldogs supporter because of my late dad(God rest his soul). Couple memories that stand out....I was 5 or 6 years old we were at belmore playing against the eels, we were down at half time and as my dad took me to the bathroom there was a drunk eels fan laughing it up and having a go at a elderly dog's fan in the toilet, next thing I know my dad has the eels fan head down the toilet and flushed it, was stone called freaked out to say the least lol.

Next memory that stands out i was 6 or 7 years old and we were at brookvale and manly raced out to a 18-0 lead early in the game and back then trys were hard to come by so 18 was a huge lead...we ended up leaving 20 minutes into the game and dad slashed the tyres of about 20 cars that were parked in the manly members parking area.....I was lost for words lol. Biggest fanatic I have ever seen while he was alive. Plenty more stories for another day lol

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Blue was a boy's colour.
That's exactly why followed them. I was 4 and my uncle took me to a Dogs/Dragons game. Dogs in blue and dragons in red.

Boys =blue
Girls = red

Also I'm middle Eastern so we have to follow either Dogs, Eels or Dragons.... so fuck eels and dragqueens

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Born Canterbury Hospital, grew up and lived in Belmore. I had no choice but to follow the dogs. Earliest I can remember going to BSG was around 83-84. I loved how the council used to deck out Burwood Road Belmore in blue and white during GF week. Bulldog heartland was the best growing up as a little kid, the days where you’d ride your bike around Belmore by yourself and parents didn’t worry about you. Different days, so fortunate to have had that childhood.
84 was the year I got really into league and by chance we won.