Why the Bulldogs?

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
The old man took me to my first game mid 80's sometime at Belmore.
Cant remember who we played. Cant remember much of anything other than seeing a red rattler cruise on by and eating a pie whilst watching Terry Lamb steel the ball in front of me.
Although murky it is 1 of my fondest childhood memories.
This isnt the footage of that game below but is it any wonder after witnessing Turvey and Lamb that I would forever be a Doggies fan.

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I too am foggy on the exact details and also other than growing up in the area I am not even sure why I chose the Dogs(bloody glad I did I'll die a Bulldog man)as my old man was die-hard Wests and played lower grades as prop for them in the early 60s.

I reckon it was sometime in '78 or maybe 79 my first live game when i was 13, but in 79 was going regularly and we hit the SCG for a bunch of the finals and the GF that year.
They were great the entertainer days watching Stevie Mortimer carve up and for some reason I loved Gearin too, a good solid winger and our excellent toe poker goalkicker..even Billy my old man begrudgingly cheered us on when we whipped his beloved Maggies in '79, Stan Cutler's intercept was fookin marvellous :hearteyes:
Said it before great old days back then and I'd rate the 80s/90s over the next two decades generally anyway.

rainman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
those of us who are lucky ( Old) enough to have witnessed the late 70s through the 80s saw the the best of the Dogs
and never to be repeated.
the new structure and the way the game as been forced changed wont allow the joy, this sanitized made for TV shit has put a stop to that

bullanth

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
those of us who are lucky ( Old) enough to have witnessed the late 70s through the 80s saw the the best of the Dogs
and never to be repeated.
the new structure and the way the game as been forced changed wont allow the joy, this sanitized made for TV shit has put a stop to that
Agree,the game now especially with the 6 again and other changes I’m finding it very hard to watch,if not for me following the doggies,I’d have no interest.

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Agree,the game now especially with the 6 again and other changes I’m finding it very hard to watch,if not for me following the doggies,I’d have no interest.
I feel the same.
I liked the brutality of SOO too which is a no no now.
Im hoping with a stronger squad next year I will become enthusiastic again about league.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
My dad would have disowned me if I'd chosen another team. Not that I think I would have.

I feel bad for the poor folks who support teams that have been shut for 40-50 years by virtue of the fact that their parents influenced them.

Steve Bos

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Obsessed with the Mortimer brothers. My name is Steve, my brother’s name is Chris.

I begged and begged my parents to have another baby (told them it had to be a boy) so we could call him Peter.

Peter was not forthcoming so I kept asking them how we get another baby. They said take 20 cents to the hospital and they will give you one. I found 20 cents and said take me to the hospital.

True story.

playon

Kennel Established
Reaction score
When you are Born & Bred in Belmore what choice do you have other than being a BULLDOG? I wouldn't have it any other way.

Grew up literally 2 streets away from BSG even now whilst not in the same home, I'm still only a 10-minute walk away.

Remember as a boy walking down to BSG & watching a very young Jonathon Thurston carve up reserve grade.

I wish the NRL would bring that back. It was always great getting there early watching the stars of tomorrow prior to the big game.

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Obsessed with the Mortimer brothers. My name is Steve, my brother’s name is Chris.

I begged and begged my parents to have another baby (told them it had to be a boy) so we could call him Peter.

Peter was not forthcoming so I kept asking them how we get another baby. They said take 20 cents to the hospital and they will give you one. I found 20 cents and said take me to the hospital.

True story.
Even if they had a girl it could have been Peta.

Kenya

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Was originally a Tigers supporter at 10 years old because I liked the orange and black and Arty Beetson.

Growing up in Picnic Point, my mates explained to me ‘we follow the Berries around here’.
So I flipped, next thing I was watching Les Johns.

We’re all so fortunate and grateful to Bullfrog, for the Gf appearances and wins and what the club has become since.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
My dad grew up in canterbury and went to canterbury boys high. My fate was sealed. Been a doggies supporter since semen. Lol
Sadly i wasnt engaged in the 80s, and too young i might add, but i became a fan of the game in the late 80s. Remembered the heartbreak of losing the GF to canberra, but thoroughly enjoyed giving it to manly in 95. Especially since it was my best mates team!!

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Was originally a Tigers supporter at 10 years old because I liked the orange and black and Arty Beetson.

Growing up in Picnic Point, my mates explained to me ‘we follow the Berries around here’.
So I flipped, next thing I was watching Les Johns.

We’re all so fortunate and grateful to Bullfrog, for the Gf appearances and wins and what the club has become since.
Were you in the hood with Nasheed at picnic point??

mountain_dog

Waterboy
Reaction score
My grandparents lived in Belmore. First game I saw was the '80 GF. It sticks in my mind, as we watched it in their lounge room (normally we just hung out in the kitchen).

When I got a little older, it was explained that as I was party of the family; I support the Bulldogs. My daughter knows the same.

Growing up in the 80s going to pretty much all matches at Belmore was awesome. Same for the next 20 years.

Dogs79

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I’ve shared this story recently but my Dad was born and bred in Belmore, and always loved the Berries/Bulldogs. From the moment I was born I was only dressed in blue and white. My first word was dog and when I was a baby my Dad would sit for hours saying go doggies, bulldog etc etc. My earliest memory was running on to the ground at Belmore after a game in the 80s and kicking the ball around with random kids. One of my favourite memories started at Sefton play house, I rarely played the pokies but during a break in entertainment I decided to have a slap and pulled $1500 from a $1 machine and only a $20 deposit. The next day I went and purchased a couple top shelf season memberships for myself and my Dad. From memory that was around 2000/01. It was a great year watching every home game with my Dad and a time in my life I’ll always remember.

Shootermc

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Born in Canterbury Hospital my old boy’s best man was Barry Nelson. Remember one day at Lidcombe Oval bumping into Barry he introduced me to Turvey and Bullfrog. Great Club , Great Players even better fan base Bring on ‘22 we are getting close to those day’s when every other team and supporters hate playing us

Yougra

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I too am foggy on the exact details and also other than growing up in the area I am not even sure why I chose the Dogs(bloody glad I did I'll die a Bulldog man)as my old man was die-hard Wests and played lower grades as prop for them in the early 60s.

I reckon it was sometime in '78 or maybe 79 my first live game when i was 13, but in 79 was going regularly and we hit the SCG for a bunch of the finals and the GF that year.
They were great the entertainer days watching Stevie Mortimer carve up and for some reason I loved Gearin too, a good solid winger and our excellent toe poker goalkicker..even Billy my old man begrudgingly cheered us on when we whipped his beloved Maggies in '79, Stan Cutler's intercept was fookin marvellous :hearteyes:
Said it before great old days back then and I'd rate the 80s/90s over the next two decades generally anyway.
My experience is very similar to yours. Grew up in Earlwood, old man started taking me to Belmore in 77 or 78 and I have a great memory of the prelim final in 1979 against Parra at the SCG. Sitting in the little stand next to the hill, full of Bulldog supporters watching Steve Mortimer take Parra apart. Great memories