Why Michael Maguire cancelled his interview with the Canterbury Bulldogs

Status
Not open for further replies.

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Because everyone left has heavily backend deals.

From what I understand. Eastwood was on $250k for the last couple of years. With his final year (2018)going out to $800k.

The current squad is full of players earning much less this year than they will earn next year and beyond.

We are also paying multiple minimum wage players. Much more than minimum wage.

It is a case of throwing everything to get a quick premiership and coming up short.

Combined this with poor recruitment & retention over 5+ years. We are still on our way down & yet to hit the bottom.

We are almost at the stage it could be better to give all players the option to check their value on the market. Anyone that can get their deal with us at least matched. Is free to go. ANYONE.

Make no mistake. We are in all sorts for a few years to come!
Exactly right. This man is very smart (besides the Liverpool thing :p lol jokes).

Also any cap increase will be allocated to top end players already which also makes things worse. And let’s not forget the cap never goes up for nothing. Usually the minimum wage rises too (e.g the last cap rise resulted in 5 extra players on the squad plus minimum wage rising 20k).

So no, a cap rise won’t help us. If anything it will hurt us.

And like mentioned it’s best to blow up the team and start fresh. No one in the squad is a franchise player so everyone should be moved on if possible.

If you want to see poor recruitment it’s we chased 25 year old no names when we had the opportunity for Munster, Mitchell, gutherson, French, tupou etc. but we never made a play for them. We never strengthened our spine. And we stacked so much money on forwards and our game plan never allowed us to run over teams...

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
Why is Hasler to blame for our cap mess but the Messiah, coach Bellamy was in no way involved in the Storms cap cheating ??? RL is full of agendas and secret squirrel business. The game itself is a mess.
Everyone knows Bellamy knew what was going on blind freddy could see it. It just that he has as much teflon coating as Billy Slater so nothing sticks. Still pisses me off how Melbourne were such cheats but the Nrl and associates act like it never happen and are quick to get on their knees to blow the Storm.

Born&BredABulldog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Everyone knows Bellamy knew what was going on blind freddy could see it. It just that he has as much teflon coating as Billy Slater so nothing sticks. Still pisses me off how Melbourne were such cheats but the Nrl and associates act like it never happen and are quick to get on their knees to blow the Storm.
Agreed - creative accounting, "club" owned assets and supposed "sponsors" goes a long way in signing an almost complete representative team. No different than the roosters. It's impossible to have that many high class players and maintain a 30 man roster under the cap, they must have the best lawyers and accountants in Australia. Maybe the dogs should use the same to get us out of the shot we are in. Lol

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Very basic dribble by Paul Kent again... as if McGuire would have even got interviewed, we were always going for a 'bulldog' because thats what Dib had to do to try and survive.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Stopped reading at that point.

Kent doesn't have a clue, and a coach being interviewd would not be given the clubs salary cap or player salary situation.

Kent lives in Imaginationland.
Yep. I question that Kent has any idea what transpired between Maguire and the Dogs. This is just a fluff piece because he has to contribute something to keep his job.

Round Of A-Paws

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Just playing Devil's advocate for a moment - would we all still be so upset about the salary cap situation IF Hasler delivered a premiership?

I can only assume this was the reason for the madness.

I can also appreciate that he would probably till be coach if he did get us one, Dib would possible still be chairman, and we would never have known about this mess....
I think the majority of us would’ve taken a Premiership and suffered for the next 2-3 years, as opposed to having cracked the Top 8 consistently. That was Hasler’s downfall; he put all his eggs in one basket and didn’t deliver.

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Exactly right. This man is very smart (besides the Liverpool thing :p lol jokes).

Also any cap increase will be allocated to top end players already which also makes things worse. And let’s not forget the cap never goes up for nothing. Usually the minimum wage rises too (e.g the last cap rise resulted in 5 extra players on the squad plus minimum wage rising 20k).

So no, a cap rise won’t help us. If anything it will hurt us.

And like mentioned it’s best to blow up the team and start fresh. No one in the squad is a franchise player so everyone should be moved on if possible.

If you want to see poor recruitment it’s we chased 25 year old no names when we had the opportunity for Munster, Mitchell, gutherson, French, tupou etc. but we never made a play for them. We never strengthened our spine. And we stacked so much money on forwards and our game plan never allowed us to run over teams...
This is the explanation you receive when you search for the meaning of Des Hasler and back ended contracts in the urban dipshit book of con artists in the NRL.

Last edited:

DT

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
As ive said all along, Hasler will never coach again, definitely not NRL anyway...but there are some very very stupid people in this world so anything is possible...but extremely doubtful....
Hasler=Toxic person

Ted Nü-Djent

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just playing Devil's advocate for a moment - would we all still be so upset about the salary cap situation IF Hasler delivered a premiership?

I can only assume this was the reason for the madness.

I can also appreciate that he would probably till be coach if he did get us one, Dib would possible still be chairman, and we would never have known about this mess....
Late reply here. Fact is, he didn’t so no point pondering the what if’s and just focus on the facts. The facts are that he left the club in a shambles, needing a complete rebuild from the ground up. The roster he assembled too was never going to win a comp. Apart from 2012 we never finished top 4 and the 2014 gf appearance was a fluke and the result on the day proved we had no right to be there. Then the prick had the gall to sue us. The club should have counter sued for fraud. I hope no club is stupid enough to give this man a job ever again.

Ted Nü-Djent

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds bout right... all the job interviews ive been to ive always asked to see the books beforehand to see if theres a chance for a raise...
I think you’re comparing apples with oranges here.

Status
Not open for further replies.