Who is our number 1 for next year? (Now for 2024)

Dogs Of War

On the Warpath
Reaction score
I hear that Dufty might be off to the English super league next year. If so, who do you guys think should be our priority to either keep or get. One of the threads last night joked about Cobbo from Broncos. He wouldn’t be a bad pick up. But hopefully we act fast. We also need someone that comes with no issues and wants to sign to stay for at least 3 years. Hopefully Gus is onto it. But then again, he wants to keep Barrett which won’t be a good selling point. Come on Bulldogs get your Shit together. We are not that type of club to except mediocrity.
I watched heaps of Cobbo last year at Wynumn Manly, he is a great fullback.

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Taylan May won’t be leaving the panthers now that he has secured a first grade spot over Charlie Staines
Staines is a fullback. Played all of his junior footy there. He may be an option

I haven’t seen much of Toia

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
I very much doubt Avo has the "robustness" for fullback either.

If/when we ever turn into a competent, winning football team then we can possibly give him a go after he has done an apprenticeship in reserves.

We are too fragile as a team atm and there's so much pressure and lack of confidence. Several players are doomed to fail at present in this system and atmosphere.

Barrett needs to strip the whole thing back to just basic footy and Gus needs to give him that message quick smart.

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I very much doubt Avo has the "robustness" for fullback either.

If/when we ever turn into a competent, winning football team then we can possibly give him a go after he has done an apprenticeship in reserves.

We are too fragile as a team atm and there's so much pressure and lack of confidence. Several players are doomed to fail at present in this system and atmosphere.

Barrett needs to strip the whole thing back to just basic footy and Gus needs to give him that message quick smart.
"Robustness" - being kind - i watched Averillo at sideline level in NSW cup a few weeks back - unless he was playing to instruction he was showing signs of "commitment issues"- would piss me off if i was a team mate. He doesnt/ wont involve himself unless there is space in attack and whilst he can tackle he usually relies on the side on legs tackle - which in 2022 is not the preferred way to defend.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
"Robustness" - being kind - i watched Averillo at sideline level in NSW cup a few weeks back - unless he was playing to instruction he was showing signs of "commitment issues"- would piss me off if i was a team mate. He doesnt/ wont involve himself unless there is space in attack and whilst he can tackle he usually relies on the side on legs tackle - which in 2022 is not the preferred way to defend.
It's why I think with Avo we'll just have to bide our time with him developing in reserves or he can probably develop with much better coaching in a team that can provide more "easy" opportunities to shine a la Meaney. We don't have the class around him to bring out his talents and he doesn't have the individual brilliance to bring it on his own. Also a la Meaney.

It's all a real struggle with us atm.

No doubt if he moves on he will do much better and we'll all be lamenting his loss but thats where it stands atm with us and Avo IMO.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
When is Ben Barba allowed back?

dogbone

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Love all the people saying we need to buy a halfback as a priority. That's great but who? Aside from Cleary there isn't anyone that is a long term option that can take us to a grand final and he ain't leaving Penrith. We need a coach and a fullback. At least there are good fullbacks around and if you have 3/4 quality players in the spine you should be winning more often that not. Cant believe some here are talking about what if's in regards to Meaney. Sure he was ok but he was an absolute pea heart (like Dufty) and will never be elite.

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Love all the people saying we need to buy a halfback as a priority. That's great but who? Aside from Cleary there isn't anyone that is a long term option that can take us to a grand final and he ain't leaving Penrith. We need a coach and a fullback. At least there are good fullbacks around and if you have 3/4 quality players in the spine you should be winning more often that not. Cant believe some here are talking about what if's in regards to Meaney. Sure he was ok but he was an absolute pea heart (like Dufty) and will never be elite.
I agree - dont need 4 stars in the spine - three high quality players who can think, run. kick and defend and the fourth just do as they are told.
Dropping players is also an easy thing to suggest - but who in reggies, and available to be selected, better?

Need to get much better go forward from the middle forwards and when in the backfield the outside backs.

BlackDawg

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you want a 3rd spoon give Averillo another season at fullback under Barrett.

Jai81

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If we are talking pipe dreams... MUNSTER!!!
he was great at FB

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
What's number 1? We don't sign those or Hookers or halves. We only waste money on 2nd rowers..

Dogmonster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Staines is a fullback. Played all of his junior footy there. He may be an option

I haven’t seen much of Toia
He is the worse player in the NRL, only special country boy favoours got him in Panthers.
Losses more metres than he gains.

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He is the worse player in the NRL, only special country boy favoours got him in Panthers.
Losses more metres than he gains.
I didnt say I rated him. Just said that he played his junior footy at fullback and we tried to sign him last year as a fullback. So he is an option the club may look at again.

I have no idea who our fullback for next year will be. Our reserve grade fullback looks ok but the standard of the reserve grade comp is pretty ordinary.

Put it this way. All gun fullbacks are already contracted for next year. So are all gun halfbacks. Unless we can get someone to break a contract we will go with another sub standard spine again (although with Mahoney it will be better than this years obviously)

Dogmonster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
They shopped Stains around last year, nobody wanted him because he is useless.
I wouldn't waste our time thinking about him even.
Andrew Voss loves him a bit too much.