Who’s the best prime minister we ever had? And why?

Who’s the best prime minister we ever had?

• Bob Hawke

Votes: 23 40.4%
  • John Howard

Votes: 28 49.1%
  • ScoMo Scott Morrison

Votes: 3 5.3%
  • Tony Abbott

Votes: 2 3.5%
  • Julia Gillard

Votes: 2 3.5%
  • Kevin 07 Kevin Rudd

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Malcolm Turnbull

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Paul Keating

Votes: 7 12.3%

• Total voters

Blue_boost

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Who’s the best prime minister we ever had? And why?

I have my preference, all have their pro and cons..

I loved the way Tony Abbott shirt fronted Vladimir Putin and said climate change was crap

I loved the way John Howard wouldnt apologise to the indigenous nor bend over to the gays demands for recognition

bob hawke Called all the bosses a bum if they didn’t allow a day off

Kevin 07 gave in to everyone that wanted anything, said sorry, but he went to a strip joint

Julia Gillard first female PM

Malcolm Turnbull called for a plebiscite that was not mandatory??

scomo blows up large in parliament which is quite entertaining, he’s a footy head as well

Last edited:

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Abbott didn’t ‘shirtfront’ anyone.
And it wasn’t about climate, it was about MH17.
Julie Bishop dropped Abbott in it after leaving politics: she says that when Putin rocked up in Brisbane for the G20, Abbott was all smiles and didn’t say boo about MH17. Putin often speaks through a translator but in this case he looked at Toned Abs and said in perfect English: ‘Is this what you call a shirtfront?’

Jules was embarrassed because she did most of the heavy lifting with Australia’s response to MH17.

Vlad 1, Abs 0 :confused:.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Julie Bishop dropped Abbott in it after leaving politics: she says that when Putin rocked up in Brisbane for the G20, Abbott was all smiles and didn’t say boo about MH17. Putin often speaks through a translator but in this case he looked at Toned Abs and said in perfect English: ‘Is this what you call a shirtfront?’

Jules was embarrassed because she did most of the heavy lifting with Australia’s response to MH17.

I'm biased but I love Putin. The only politician I like.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
He’s a ruthless Karmichael Hunt.
I have some insight (which I won’t go into) how politics works in Russia. It’s eye-watering. Vlad is estimated to be worth some $250b in personal wealth (property and other assets). He rules with an iron fist wrapped in velvet and he will be there until he decides he doesn’t want to be anymore. No-one is removing him.

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Paul Keating... I think his economic reforms as treasurer and subsequently PM helped set Australia on its modern, prosperous path... and he was always good fun in question time --> labelling John Hewson as Wile E. Coyote and his economic policy as "ACME fightback" was brilliant

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
George Bush
Reminds my of an old, Arab dad joke...

This old man bumps into a glamour on the street with a tattoo of Saddam on her shoulder. He says, "I love Saddam, can I kiss him?" She lets him it kiss it.

He then notices a tattoo of Yassar Arafat on her tit, He says "I really love Arafat, can I kiss him?" She lets him kiss it.

She then says "if you like them, you have to see my tattoo of George Bush on my vagina". The man stares at it for a while and says "I hate that ****, can I fuck him?"

Blue_boost

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Tony Abbott said he was gonna shirtfront him, isnt that enough? :grinning: look at Abbott standing there puffing out his chest with his big frame, Putin don't look too worried.

Did Putin really say that to Abbott? or was it said to Julie Bishop..

I love how Putin showed up to the G20, with the Varyag" cruiser, destroyer Marshal Shaposhnikov equipped with nuclear tip missiles. Parks on our doorstep. He don't F**k around

1629217115074.png

Grunthos

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
You forgot Gough Whitlam and Malcolm Fraser...

Gough bought us Medicare got rid of the white Australia policy (that's a debate in itself) and was ultimately dismissed by the governor-general but then lost the election in a landslide.

OldDogFan

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
#Grunthos, I was going to mention Gough. He was our last ""honest" PM, and was sacked because he refused to sign the Lima Agreement.

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Every PM was a politician first so you're effectively asking us to peer into the sewer and point to the best looking turd(s).

So in that vein, Keating for his reforms, Howard for his financial management, caveat - workchoices sucked balls, Abbot for his deep cowardice, Gillard for ticking a box, Turnbull for humiliating Abbot, Rudd for saying sorry and the $900, Hawke for being one of us and Scomo for being the exact opposite and a shining example of the political turd I was referring to before.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Tony Abbott said he was gonna shirtfront him, isnt that enough? :grinning: look at Abbott standing there puffing out his chest with his big frame, Putin don't look too worried.

Did Putin really say that to Abbott? or was it said to Julie Bishop..

I love how Putin showed up to the G20, with the Varyag" cruiser, destroyer Marshal Shaposhnikov equipped with nuclear tip missiles. Parks on our doorstep. He don't F**k around

View attachment 28657
Nah, the fact he said he was going to and only issued a joint statement condemning the MH17 says it all. Putin said it to Abbott - I heard Julie Bishop say the words. Putin came from Moscow to Brisbane for 36 hours - he didn’t even stay to the end of the summit as he doesn’t waste time with small talk:

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
I knew Paul Keating - worked with him in my ALP days. He was a very smart man. No tertiary education, but he learned quickly from corporate leaders and Treasury heads. Keating did not see big business as an enemy, but as an ally. His reforms which included floating the dollar, deregulating the banks, and dropping tariffs opened up our economy, and his superannuation scheme has secured the future for many people.

But it will always be Gough Whitlam that I would put as our number one PM - I'm surprised that he is not on the list.
Whitlam gave us free universal health care, free tertiary education, completed the much needed sewerage systems for Sydney and Melbourne, provided funding for public transport (Perth and Brisbane got their electric rail systems because of Gough), gave us our first Minister for Women, introduced Aboriginal land rights, got us out of Vietnam, managed us through a global oil crisis, and left the budget in surplus. And this was achieved in the face of an opposition that tried to block everything he introduced, and stacked the senate to orchestrate blocking of supply. The media of the day never let up on him, and did all in their power to bring him down.

So much anti-Whitlam mythology has been spread since his time; and his opponents have done their best to malign him, but his legacy is what Australians are most proud of when they compare us to other countries.

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Putin is great. I have him on equal level with Berlusconi. Anyone who plays hide and seek with Merkel, or organisers orgies for his diplomats/staff members is a great leader in my books :hearteyecat:

Shame he didn’t serve as long as the great Putin.

Grunthos

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
#Grunthos, I was going to mention Gough. He was our last ""honest" PM, and was sacked because he refused to sign the Lima Agreement.
He certainly was a great parliamentarian and in later years, elder statesman, however, his government was basically incompetent mainly because labor had been out of office for so long at that time they had no ministers with experience in governing.