Opinion When will Matt Burton leave the Bulldogs?

How long will Matt Burton be at the Bulldogs?

• Total voters

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
All I know is when Gus finishes with us we’re going to be a strong team with or without Burton. And the best part is there will be no Elliott or Flanagan in the team. Close thread.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
funniest Thing ever .. Walker didn’t have Keary last year and roosters were down on troops .. the clowns with no skills in the halves at knights , tigers , warriors and other shit sides have all shown that they are playmakers and halves , even tho they are shit .. burton is so good you Keep blaming everyone else bar him .

face it he hasn’t shown he is a 5/8 yet and may do so next year but to say he has more skill than Walker is ludicrous
Walker finished last year on the bench behind Lam and Hutchison....lol. He was hot and cold all last year. And he had a much better backline to work with ....not to mention probably the best playmaking fullback in the world. Don't underestimate the importance of a young player having gun teammates around them. The experience of players like Keary (even in a mentorship role) and Tedesco has helped Walker immensely. Not to mention Robinson, who is definitely a much better coach than Pay or Barrett.

Meanwhile Burton is being called on to steer a team that has been anchored to the bottom of the ladder for years at a very young age. No experience in the spine (except for Dufty, who is shit) to help lessen the pressure.

I'm not even Burton's biggest fan. But that is because I don't think he is enthusiastic enough about the club....or grateful enough to the club that signed him on good money to play his preferred position when he had limited first grade experience, not because I don't think he is talented. I think he is very talented and have little doubt he will be a better half than Walker in the long run.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
All I know is when Gus finishes with us we’re going to be a strong team with or without Burton. And the best part is there will be no Elliott or Flanagan in the team. Close thread.
I was with you all the way until you dissed my boys.

likeadoggy

Banned
Reaction score
I really hope he is our long term 5/8, but my gut says he’ll see out next year and then opt out if there’s a 6 position available at that time. He needs a good 7 with him and some go forward for him to play his best footy. At this stage we don’t have either for 2023 so I doubt he’ll stay beyond that. Regardless of who we recruit for 2024.
we’ll have plenty of go forward next year with a hooker who knows how to bring the forwards on to the ball.

piggy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Probably go to st George and play along side Ben hunt….. they keep chopping and changing their 5/8
Don’t be surprised if the roosters come knocking....they would be prepared to move on someone to make it happen

bowleggedwog

wogdog
Reaction score
Fittler is key to keeping Burton. I don't necessarily agree with it if it happens but my gut feeling is Freddie is the new top dog. Gus will take control of the recruiting/ rebuild and Freddie will just coach. Wouldn't be surprised to see a Hagan or similar involved in pathways. Maybe Potter to upgrade from Mounties next yr to a leading juniors coach.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
‘since when is burton more talented than Walker .

‘’Walker shits all over burton. He is a genuine 6/7 . He is a playmaker , sets up his outside men and has much more skill in basically ever facet of his game and will be even better when he bulks up as gets older .

burton has a great big boot and is a runner

walker has won countless games for the chooks and even from when they are behind and has put on great plays .
You're leaving out the part where Walker is one of the worst defenders in the comp and a liability that gets targeted over and over again.

Walker is a better organiser and passer but doesn't have anywhere near the running game of Burton. Walker has had the luxury of playing for a good club with rep players all around him and good coaching. Burton is part of a wooden spoon team with no coach so it's obvious to anyone that's objective that we haven't seen the best of him yet.

Riggs80

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
You're leaving out the part where Walker is one of the worst defenders in the comp and a liability that gets targeted over and over again.

Walker is a better organiser and passer but doesn't have anywhere near the running game of Burton. Walker has had the luxury of playing for a good club with rep players all around him and good coaching. Burton is part of a wooden spoon team with no coach so it's obvious to anyone that's objective that we haven't seen the best of him yet.
dont really Want to be talking about a rooster player , but talk to anyone that’s not a roosters / riff / dogs Supporter who don’t have skin in the argument or have blinkers on and overwhelming response will be walker

firstly defence wasn’t the issues being discussed .. yet to see the best of burton yet does not mean he is better than Walker or has more skill ..

so being at a shit joint is the reason that burton cannot show his skill as a 5/8.. well then can we not blame the forwards , halfbacks , coaches , burton even and others for jmk being shit and not showing his skill .. maybe jmk is slow at the Ptb because he knows his forwards will not be at the line to pass the ball or the team can’t catch and hold onto a ball , or he takes wrong options because the halves are mutes and not directing or organising the attack or even calling for the ball like every other half in the comp that organises attack.

burton has not demonstrated that he has playmaking skill or that he engages the line like a 5/8 to try put on plays, even if they don’t work out . He either passes early or when he runs to The line he runs like a centre and no subtley to it

is burton good yes , doss he have potential to be better yes , but Is he better than the younger Walker or more skilful right now .. the answer is no and I’m yet to be convinced that burton rightful position is 5/8 , I think he showed last year he is a centre or even be a great ball playing lock .

maltalian_dog

DESeption
Reaction score
Part of me hates the idea of Fitler the other just wants to see us win some games.. what I would do for a win right now

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
dont really Want to be talking about a rooster player , but talk to anyone that’s not a roosters / riff / dogs Supporter who don’t have skin in the argument or have blinkers on and overwhelming response will be walker

firstly defence wasn’t the issues being discussed .. yet to see the best of burton yet does not mean he is better than Walker or has more skill ..

so being at a shit joint is the reason that burton cannot show his skill as a 5/8.. well then can we not blame the forwards , halfbacks , coaches , burton even and others for jmk being shit and not showing his skill .. maybe jmk is slow at the Ptb because he knows his forwards will not be at the line to pass the ball or the team can’t catch and hold onto a ball , or he takes wrong options because the halves are mutes and not directing or organising the attack or even calling for the ball like every other half in the comp that organises attack.

burton has not demonstrated that he has playmaking skill or that he engages the line like a 5/8 to try put on plays, even if they don’t work out . He either passes early or when he runs to The line he runs like a centre and no subtley to it

is burton good yes , doss he have potential to be better yes , but Is he better than the younger Walker or more skilful right now .. the answer is no and I’m yet to be convinced that burton rightful position is 5/8 , I think he showed last year he is a centre or even be a great ball playing lock .
How can you not talk about defence when it's half the game? It's kind of important..

I've been a fan of Walkers for years before he debuted and think he's a great talent. He went to a far better situation short term though. That's not making excuses, that's just fact.

Riggs80

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
How can you not talk about defence when it's half the game? It's kind of important..

I've been a fan of Walkers for years before he debuted and think he's a great talent. He went to a far better situation short term though. That's not making excuses, that's just fact.
Because the discussion was about skill not defence and as I have stated walker has skills as attributes of a half .

Burton has not shown these other than a big boot , runs like a centre … good club / bad club doesn’t mean anything to me atm one has shown his skills and using them the other is not . In 3 years or even sooner it may or may not change but right now walker has the better skill and is the better player imo