Opinion When will Matt Burton leave the Bulldogs?

How long will Matt Burton be at the Bulldogs?

• Total voters

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Ok la familiars,

I have made no secret of the fact I think a cannibal would show more enthusiasm for a tofu dinner than Matt Burton shows for our club. I think he'll be out the door at the first available opportunity. But I wanted to get other people's feelings on the subject. How long do you think he'll be a dog? Is he our long term five eighth? Should we already start planning for a future without him?

Glenn L

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Until Gus wheels out his new coach it's pure guess work of course but I believe he'll go back to Penrith as a centre. It's hard to tell if he has any improvement left in him as a 6 and is clearly struggling with all the kicking duties and trying to run the side.

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Until Gus wheels out his new coach it's pure guess work of course but I believe he'll go back to Penrith as a centre. It's hard to tell if he has any improvement left in him as a 6 and is clearly struggling with all the kicking duties and trying to run the side.
Why would he go back to Penrith as a centre for half the money he can get as a 6?

Cosmo24

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Penrith system shows they can replace most players without too much negative impact on the team.
I doubt Panthers are seeking him out with Tago playing well enough. Also doubt he would be happy to take a big pay cut to return there.

Nothing would surprise me though

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Why would he go back to Penrith as a centre for half the money he can get as a 6?
The Penrith system shows they can replace most players without too much negative impact on the team.
I doubt Panthers are seeking him out with Tago playing well enough. Also doubt he would be happy to take a big pay cut to return there.

Nothing would surprise me though
Yeah I agree with Nate and Cosmo that he won't go back to Penrith. And I also think he is a genuine five eighth. Steering this wonky old ship is a huge ask for a young player who is more a ball runner with a big boot than a genuine organiser. But I agree with you that he won't stick around beyond 2023, Glenn.

Jai81

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah I agree with Nate and Cosmo that he won't go back to Penrith. And I also think he is a genuine five eighth. Steering this wonky old ship is a huge ask for a young player who is more a ball runner with a big boot than a genuine organiser. But I agree with you that he won't stick around beyond 2023, Glenn.
Where do you think he will go then?
Redcliffe?

HippDogg

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Probably go to st George and play along side Ben hunt….. they keep chopping and changing their 5/8

no1bulldog

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
thing that has me a little worried is he hasnt actually come out and said he's seeing out his contract to put this shit to bed, you'd think if he was staying and the amount of shit being thrown at the club to turn players off coming he'd come out and state that he will be here long term to show some stability and help attract players of quality to play alongside and improve our on field performances

to just sit back and allow the none stop speculation and shit throwing makes me think there is truth to the story that he does want out, which could kill recruitment.... what players would want to come to a club that has a spine like Stephen hawking and its great hope in burton walks.... yeah we'd still have Mahoney but not one decent half and no fullback

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Burton has a lot to consider. Unlike others, i think he is an awesome talent and if we lose him, itwill be one we regret. If there is a good coach appointed a half and fullback to go with Mahoney then i reckon Gus can convince him with a bit of an upgrade. IMO, there is alot of uncertainty, seeing Fox getting dropped for playing for the dogs etc. which i wouldnt blame him for considering his option.

John Matrix

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
No decision will be made until a coach is arranged, that's for both the club and Burton I'd say. Club needs to get a gauge long term and Burton will decide once he sees things pan out.

By not moving before Nov we take a risk either way, extending may work for or against us.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Where do you think he will go then?
Redcliffe?
Who knows....maybe....or maybe he will end up at Melbourne or the Roosters...... a lot depends on what Munster does, I guess......could end up almost anywhere. But I don't see him leaving us for another cellar dwelling club.

Jai81

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Who knows....maybe....or maybe he will end up at Melbourne or the Roosters...... a lot depends on what Munster does, I guess......could end up almost anywhere. But I don't see him leaving us for another cellar dwelling club.
Imagine what bellamy could do with him...

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Frustrating as my Favorite players for the club have always ended up leaving.... SBW, Anasta, Barba, Kasiano.... hopefully Burton does not join that list!
Mine too....Adam Elliott :(

But the general stayed with us til he retired and I am forever grateful for that.

Philmus

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
head and heart say different things to be honest. i'd love to see him be the long term 5/8 but i dont think the position on the ladder, the sacking of baz, the constant media agendas and scrutiny along with the lack of wins makes him want to dig in and stick around. doesnt appear as though he's completely bought in and i think he will likely want to go somewhere more successful given there will probably be no shortage of suitors

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
The General was under-rated. never remember him ever having a bad game...
Yep....loved the guy....he and Hazem were the only two blokes who stuck by us when everything started to implode. I think Shifty, Asotasi and O'Meley would have too, if not for personal issues and recruitment/ retention decisions.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
How about we wait and see how things unfold with the team, coach and Burton's form first before we start predicting the future?

So much will change between now and when he makes a decision. No player at any club is going to extend long term when there isn't a coach in place.

JAZZY92

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I really hope he is our long term 5/8, but my gut says he’ll see out next year and then opt out if there’s a 6 position available at that time. He needs a good 7 with him and some go forward for him to play his best footy. At this stage we don’t have either for 2023 so I doubt he’ll stay beyond that. Regardless of who we recruit for 2024.