When did the Bulldogs go from Walter White to Heisenberg?

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nasheed here,
Can you define at what point the Dogs lost their soul?
Or do you believe it was a gradual degradation. Death be a thousand cuts, so to speak?

For me, it was the appointment of Raelene Castle. At this point, the board switched excellence and knowledge for the optics of political correct left wing politics.
it simply went downhill from there.
I’m sure I don’t have to explain the ****st*rm that followed her appointment, and the knock on repercussions we still feel today, but if someone does want that pointed out, hit the like button and ask me in the comments. But to me, that’s when we stopped being the ever successful good operators, like the Storm, to the Tigers, ups and down but more down.

a lot of people talked about the gang rapes in 2003, but to be honest the rape just brought us closer together. It alienated some potential néw fans, but I think to be honest that is more the demographic of the area than that instance.

the salary cap cheating was a hit but again, I think that brought us together through siege mentality and actually worked in our favour because then it’s stuck together and we won the year after.

Toddberg came in and he handled things in house and was an excellent operator at club level for us. When he left, we were finalists and grand finalists still.

I can’t blame castle. In some ways she’s just taking advantage of virtue politics. Good on her. We are the fools for putting the clown there. We have poisoned ourselves and I’ll be honest, I don’t know if we will ever recover,
I mean, we will have some success still, but I think the days of SUSTAINED success are over. We are more Manly and Tigers now than Melbourne and Souths.
As the biggest fan of the Bulldogs here, it hurts my heart.
Agree with you re the diabolical effect of Raelene Castle who was a terrible football administrator, with no sense of process or governance, which resulted in Des running amok. However. I think it's been progressive and much longer than that and not all our own doing.

We were great in the 80s and had recruited many stars from the country. The talent pool from the country is much more diluted and there's now a lot more competion. We were one of the richest clubs, there was no salary cap to handicap us and the out of town teams were new and not very established.

In the 90s we got some great players from Qld and NZ as well as some locals and some guys from NSW country. our players were good but we saw the emergence of the Broncos and Canberra, and Penrith also got stronger The talent really got diluted with all the extra teams with ARL and SuperLeague. We also saved Souths which pissed off the now NRL, News Limited and most likely Nick Politis who was eyeing all the Souths Juniors.

In the 2000s we had another great team which got smashed by the Salary Cap and was eventually picked apart. Here Melbourne emerged into a powerhouse and surpassed everyone with talent identication and acquisition.

Since then in a much more competitive market, against teams with more corporate backing we have struggled to compete on a consistent basis and the media, refs and NRL have all laid into us. At the end of the day we are one of many Sydney teams competing against one city and one country teams.

Like the Melbourne AFL clubs we will still have good years but not for as long as we used to with so much more sustained big competition.

Last edited:

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
On field performance wise, we went from Heisenberg to Walter White lol

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
No I meant that the area does have a crime problem and there isn’t a point denying reality
Used to. Crime rate has dropped - moved further out west. We don't even have graffiti anymore. Demographics have changed.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Used to. Crime rate has dropped - moved further out west. We don't even have graffiti anymore. Demographics have changed.
It’s still pretty leb.
When people say Bankstown is lebville I don’t really take offence because it is, even though it’s getting a bit more Chinese. Lebanese culture is still prominent.
I’d be offended if someone said Bankstown was Indian.

Last edited:

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
It’s still pretty leb.
When people say Bankstown is lebville I don’t really take offence because it is, even though it’s getting a bit more Chinese. Lebanese culture is still prominent.
And I like both cultures; and their food. It's also Macedonian, Vietnamese, Korean, Samoan, and still more Anglo than any other culture.
The area is not like the old days. The troublemakers have moved out, got families, or are in gaol. The gangs have all gone. It's a much nicer place these days.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
And I like both cultures; and their food. It's also Macedonian, Vietnamese, Korean, Samoan, and still more Anglo than any other culture.
The area is not like the old days. The troublemakers have moved out, got families, or are in gaol. The gangs have all gone. It's a much nicer place these days.
Maybe you’re right because I’m technically over the border in Parra territory now but the Lebomemes101 Snapchat account tells me different lol

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hope you take notice
Canterbury were the SUPREME TEAM of the 80's and somewhat 90's, financially backed by the MIGHTIEST LEAGUES CLUB in the land !
Steps of disaster
Super League war broke out in 1995...Led by Peter Moore and Co we jumped to News Ltd owned super league, later in 1995 Moore quit Canterbury eventually joining Melbourne ( owned by News Ltd ) in charge of building their new team taking his son in-law coach Chris Anderson and some the players with him but most importantly he took The Canterbury Blue Prints of success Leaving us to face the wrath of the newly formed NRL alone !!!
2 The damage continued when News Ltd failed us by not directing players to Canterbury to rebuild the team that lost most of its stars post the super league war.
3 That pushed Canterbury to rebel against the NRL ( half owned by News Ltd ) by suing for damages and the only club to refuse signing South Sydney's DEATH WARRANT and eventually supported their unwanted return !!!
4 That insured that we have the NRL as a whole ( News Ltd and ARL ) as OUR ENEMIES !!!
The results are massive...a WITCH HUNT by the NRL and it's media for TWO DECADES !!!
All the other minor or major issues since, did not help...
Now with John Khoury TBaz Warburton & Co. at the helm...We can optimistically SMILE
Some good points there as Bullfrog's legacy (which was great for most of the time) doesn't get a mention often in terms of the negative stuff that happened. We also had Brett Kimmorley and Scott Hill taken away from us to Melbourne at that time by Bullfrog & Anderson despite them already being across the line with us.