Opinion What's going on at Canterbury

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm guessing that Barrett wanted Averillo to succeed as the 7 but it quickly became clear that this wasn't going to happen. There's obviously a personality problem between Flannagan and Barrett (more than likely after the public outburst), so Wakeham was always going to be his second choice.

However, while a loss may have been expected, the hammering from Melbourne has significantly increased the pressure on Barrett who probably sought out Gus' advice. Gus probably offered the following:

What type of half back does Matt Burton need beside him? (Organising)
Who's currently your best organising half back? (Flanagan/Wakeham)
Which half back is taking the most from your salary cap? (Flanagan)
How else can the half back lighten the load for Burton? (Kicking in general play & goal kicking)
Well until we sign a better option, I know who I'd be picking.

Gus is probably thinking by selecting Kyle either (1) he'll succeed and help significantly improve the team's attack, (2) he'll fall to pieces and do everything to get out of his bigger contract ASAP, (3) if he's in the shop window playing reasonably well another club may try to sign him or (4) if I go after Shane Flanagan I'll have a better chance of landing him.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
For the last 2 years he has either failed to recognise or has just failed to Coach towards individual players weaknesses and strengths. Across the board it is shown.
Avo - too timid to handle organising a team in an important position like #7. At best is a centre or FB.
Naden - inside Fox is a mockery of coaching = Naden doesn't pass the ball much.
JMK - not good enough but hey let's keep trying
Cook - what I saw in the trial was the only genuine hooker we have - not even contemplated upon
Oka - picked for 2 years yet not good enough and when the fans go ape shite they claim bullying
Attack - non existent from what I can see
Team selections - out the window after 2 weeks even though it was wrong Rd1
Positions - multiple players already playing out of position
Chopping and changing
Presser - run out of ideas based on last one
Hansen - what is it that this **** does again? Changes a club to a winning culture? Fail
Gus - gone soft? Blaming the clubs poor selections on bullying?

Enough with rookie Coaches, we need Bellamy or an old school hard head. I'd take Flanno Snr at this stage if a blank cheque to Bellamy can't entice him.

Packstar

Kennel Established
Reaction score
The club is obsessed with finding a spot in the 17 for Avo because they’re reading this forum to often Is my guess.
Gould said that Barrett sent Jake to cup so Jake could work on a few parts of his game

They sent him to cup to play 5/8 and brought him back to first grade a week later to play in the centres...

So what was he actually working on as a 5/8 for a week so he could play in the centres the following?

Something isn't right

Papa Joe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gould said that Barrett sent Jake to cup so Jake could work on a few parts of his game

They sent him to cup to play 5/8 and brought him back to first grade a week later to play in the centres...

So what was he actually working on as a 5/8 for a week so he could play in the centres the following?

Something isn't right
I think I've just worked out Barrett’s next move....

Based on all this, this week Averillo plays Five Eight & Burton moves to left centre.

Must have been Baz's plan from round one, he's just trying to confuse the Panthers before the big game V's the Premiers.

Doggy71

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Schoupp was dropped for off field discipline issue

AucklandDog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
How does Gould handle a massive full-time job at Canterbury along with;

- Channel 9 commentary
- Triple M
- 100% footy
- SMH
- Numerous podcasts

Sue

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
How does Gould handle a massive full-time job at Canterbury along with;

- Channel 9 commentary
- Triple M
- 100% footy
- SMH
- Numerous podcasts
Gus loves the moulla

images.jpeg-2.jpg

Dog4life77

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I knew his family when I lived in Junee..
His last name is definitely just Barrett..
His uncle Robert ran Nationwide PRD Realty in Junee

CanterburybankstownBD

Kennel Established
Reaction score
It’s unusual to keep changing the 17, but I don’t know, is it such a bad thing?

Builds a squad rather than just a team, and keeps players thinking during the game because it reduces the ‘going through the motions’ cos of the new combinations

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
We've all been thinking the same since last season. Nothing he does makes sense. Even the changes that are logical don't make sense as to how he got there or why he didn't move them earlier when the whole preseason they were training in other positions entirely.

He's out of his depth, he has no clue and he's desperate to save his career so he's trying even stranger moves. It's embarrassing to watch and I don't know how much longer Gus and Khoury can let him run the team into the ground.

Grunthos

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's called "rebuilding" and this often takes a lot of time, it's not "miracle-working" that can be done overnight.
This is a concept beyond most of the no-performing, no-nothing experts and team death riders on this forum.

A desperate to win team often makes desperate decisions on the field when they don't need to and this often leads to avoidable and often silly mistakes, however, I will give Baz a couple more games before even I start calling for his head as we do have the talent to be doing better.

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
It’s unusual to keep changing the 17, but I don’t know, is it such a bad thing?

Builds a squad rather than just a team, and keeps players thinking during the game because it reduces the ‘going through the motions’ cos of the new combinations
Exactly the opposite I would think.
Combinations need time.
He talks of the team taking time to gel, how can they gel when they only get to play with the same halves for 2 weeks?
They are going through the motions because how are they suppose to gel with set plays, know each others body language, find a rythym when the team is being re-shuffled all the time.
So we are seeing hit ups and either a kick and hope or die with the ball on the last. Well thats what ive seen last 2 weeks if they havent made an error with the ball in hand.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Now, I'm keeping player favourites, player hate out of this topic.

I want to know what is going on at Canterbury and I want to know what direction are they looking at heading to

All off season we had Jake Averillo training at #7 working with Burton....Jake was also #7 for the majority of last season

We had Schoupp play in the centres last year and as far as I am aware he had a disrupted preseason due to injury and/or surgery

After Round 2, Barrett drops Jake to cup to play 5/8, brings in Wakeham to play HB and brings Schoupp back in to the centres

Last week, Barrett drops Schoupp and brings in Jake to play centre, while Jake did nothing in regards to training as a centre during the offseason

This week, Barrett brings in Flanagan at #7, while dropping Wakeham to the bench and BBO dropping out of the 17....

Baz didn't want a bar of Flanagan since early last year and now has brought him in....He has made his mind up after a year and the first 2 rounds that Jake is not a #7, so drops him for 1 game and than reinstates him back into the 17 as a centre, and he drops Wakeham as HB after 2 games to the bench?

So all of a sudden after 1 year and a bit, Jake is a centre and a better one than the likes of Schoupp?

Wakeham is not the answer at #7, but now is a interchange #9 over the likes over BBO or Cook?

Flanagan is now ready to tear strips off the current premiers and grand finalists over the next fortnight?

And all these changes are supposed to help out the main core in Burton, JMK & Dufty how?

So four weeks in from the start of the season he has dropped 2 halfbacks (Averillo, Wakeham), winger(Okunbor), centre (Schoupp), interchange forward (Ava), interchange hooker(BBO), moved a centre to the wing(Naden), sent the HB to play 1 game in cup as a 5/8 and than bring him back to first grade as a centre(Averillo)

So all off season they trained for the above scenarios?

During Dean Pay's tenure, he wanted to bring in a couple of experienced players as he told the board that the "young kids were getting murdered out there", yet no-one wanted a bar of what Pay had to say

So tell me who is currently murdering our young pups in Burton, Flanagan, Averillo, BBO?

What the fuck is going on? I cannot for the life of me work out what Barrett is trying to do and achieve and I haven't got a clue what Gould and Hansen are thinking and doing?!
Good post. I thought we were going to persist with the squad to allow player to understand their roles, and develop into a cohesive side. Each week, the line up is different, and we are losing as consistently as last year, with the same inconsistent team.

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Schoupp was dropped for off field discipline issue
Schoupp played well in NSW cup - im off topic but do you know why there has been so many players missing from the Flegg side over the last few weeks? Seems too many to be just injuries

Malla

Reaction score
Some off field issues with Schoupp, nothing to do with footy. He needs a reality check, played a couple good first grade games and thinks he's king shit but this goes with not having good veterans in your team that will tell someone to pull the fuck up. Jj looks like a push over, Vaughan seems like he tries a bit too hard to be one of the boys, Addo is a class clown off the field so be hard for him to lead by example and Thompson doesn't really seem like he gives a fuck. Who else are there in the team in terms of experience? TPJ could be that guy but still a way off.

This rebuild still has a long, long way to go.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
It's called "rebuilding" and this often takes a lot of time, it's not "miracle-working" that can be done overnight.
This is a concept beyond most of the no-performing, no-nothing experts and team death riders on this forum.

A desperate to win team often makes desperate decisions on the field when they don't need to and this often leads to avoidable and often silly mistakes, however, I will give Baz a couple more games before even I start calling for his head as we do have the talent to be doing better.
Yeah. I get what you're saying, I really do. No one should've expected a team with so many new players to gel straight away, so it was always going to take some time especially with our tough opening rounds.

But, I think the point being echoed around here is that there seems to lack a clear vision from the coaching set up.

Self-belief starts at the top, but if your coach is chopping and changing the team after a week ... then those playing under him will lose faith in what he's doing.

Rebuilding it may be, but it just seems we're lost out there.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Some off field issues with Schoupp, nothing to do with footy. He needs a reality check, played a couple good first grade games and thinks he's king shit but this goes with not having good veterans in your team that will tell someone to pull the fuck up. Jj looks like a push over, Vaughan seems like he tries a bit too hard to be one of the boys, Addo is a class clown off the field so be hard for him to lead by example and Thompson doesn't really seem like he gives a fuck. Who else are there in the team in terms of experience? TPJ could be that guy but still a way off.

This rebuild still has a long, long way to go.
We lack strong leaders on the field no doubt.