Opinion What's going on at Canterbury

Wayne Rooney

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Now, I'm keeping player favourites, player hate out of this topic.

I want to know what is going on at Canterbury and I want to know what direction are they looking at heading to

All off season we had Jake Averillo training at #7 working with Burton....Jake was also #7 for the majority of last season

We had Schoupp play in the centres last year and as far as I am aware he had a disrupted preseason due to injury and/or surgery

After Round 2, Barrett drops Jake to cup to play 5/8, brings in Wakeham to play HB and brings Schoupp back in to the centres

Last week, Barrett drops Schoupp and brings in Jake to play centre, while Jake did nothing in regards to training as a centre during the offseason

This week, Barrett brings in Flanagan at #7, while dropping Wakeham to the bench and BBO dropping out of the 17....

Baz didn't want a bar of Flanagan since early last year and now has brought him in....He has made his mind up after a year and the first 2 rounds that Jake is not a #7, so drops him for 1 game and than reinstates him back into the 17 as a centre, and he drops Wakeham as HB after 2 games to the bench?

So all of a sudden after 1 year and a bit, Jake is a centre and a better one than the likes of Schoupp?

Wakeham is not the answer at #7, but now is a interchange #9 over the likes over BBO or Cook?

Flanagan is now ready to tear strips off the current premiers and grand finalists over the next fortnight?

And all these changes are supposed to help out the main core in Burton, JMK & Dufty how?

So four weeks in from the start of the season he has dropped 2 halfbacks (Averillo, Wakeham), winger(Okunbor), centre (Schoupp), interchange forward (Ava), interchange hooker(BBO), moved a centre to the wing(Naden), sent the HB to play 1 game in cup as a 5/8 and than bring him back to first grade as a centre(Averillo)

So all off season they trained for the above scenarios?

During Dean Pay's tenure, he wanted to bring in a couple of experienced players as he told the board that the "young kids were getting murdered out there", yet no-one wanted a bar of what Pay had to say

So tell me who is currently murdering our young pups in Burton, Flanagan, Averillo, BBO?

What the fuck is going on? I cannot for the life of me work out what Barrett is trying to do and achieve and I haven't got a clue what Gould and Hansen are thinking and doing?!

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

I want to know what is going on at Canterbury and I want to know what direction are they looking at heading to

All off season we had Jake Averillo training at #7 working with Burton....Jake was also #7 for the majority of last season

We had Schoupp play in the centres last year and as far as I am aware he had a disrupted preseason due to injury and/or surgery

After Round 2, Barrett drops Jake to cup to play 5/8, brings in Wakeham to play HB and brings Schoupp back in to the centres

Last week, Barrett drops Schoupp and brings in Jake to play centre, while Jake did nothing in regards to training as a centre during the offseason

This week, Barrett brings in Flanagan at #7, while dropping Wakeham to the bench and BBO dropping out of the 17....

Baz didn't want a bar of Flanagan since early last year and now has brought him in....He has made his mind up after a year and the first 2 rounds that Jake is not a #7, so drops him for 1 game and than reinstates him back into the 17 as a centre, and he drops Wakeham as HB after 2 games to the bench?

So all of a sudden after 1 year and a bit, Jake is a centre and a better one than the likes of Schoupp?

Wakeham is not the answer at #7, but now is a interchange #9 over the likes over BBO or Cook?

Flanagan is now ready to tear strips off the current premiers and grand finalists over the next fortnight?

And all these changes are supposed to help out the main core in Burton, JMK & Dufty how?

So four weeks in from the start of the season he has dropped 2 halfbacks (Averillo, Wakeham), winger(Okunbor), centre (Schoupp), interchange forward (Ava), interchange hooker(BBO), moved a centre to the wing(Naden), sent the HB to play 1 game in cup as a 5/8 and than bring him back to first grade as a centre(Averillo)

During Dean Pay's tenure, he wanted to bring in a couple of experienced players as he told the board that the "young kids were getting murdered out there", yet no-one wanted a bar of what Pay had to say

So tell me who is currently murdering our young pups in Burton, Flanagan, Averillo, BBO?

What the fuck is going on? I cannot for the life of me work out what Barrett is trying to do and achieve and I haven't got a clue what Gould and Hansen are thinking and doing?!
It's quite obvious. How can not see it?
Barrett took the Panthers at $1.01 early this week and he is doing everything he can to win that bet.

Wouldn't you do the same in his position?

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Quite simply, TB is struggling with this coaching caper. His decision making as head coach and the teams execution of his plan is poor.

It also appears the club is obsessed with finding a position in the team for “local talent” - Averillo is case in point.

Noeasyday

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score

It reeks of desperation.
We need to be building combinations and getting our defensive systems in place.
Knowing the draw was difficult early, Baz should have given the team until round after round 6 before a major overhaul.
It's like we start every week with fresh combinations which builds no cohesion and team camaraderie from week to week.
I think we definitely need some strike on the edge, decent hole runners to give the young halves something to work with in attack.

Downtowndog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
He is out of touch with the NRL world

Gould has been very quiet in regards to Barrett and when he has mentioned expectations, it has been very vague responses as "being happy and effort", which in Gould's terms means he is brewing something behind closed doors........hopefully

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He's a soft cock. Can't motivate. Nice guy but the players don't respect him. In a war no-one will bleed for a commander who'se a soft cock himself. They're more likely to question his orders thinking they're wrong.

Successful coaches all have some fear about them. Footy players need some discipline. Barrett's got nothing.

Last edited:

DaveV

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Quite simply, TB is struggling with this coaching caper. His decision making as head coach and the teams execution of his plan is poor.

It also appears the club is obsessed with finding a position in the team for “local talent” - Averillo is case in point.
The club is obsessed with finding a spot in the 17 for Avo because they’re reading this forum to often Is my guess.

belmore_utd

Pro Golf Hack
Reaction score
He is out of touch with the NRL world

Gould has been very quiet in regards to Barrett and when he has mentioned expectations, it has been very vague responses as "being happy and effort", which in Gould's terms means he is brewing something behind closed doors........hopefully
Stomach Pain

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
It reeks of desperation.
We need to be building combinations and getting our defensive systems in place.
Knowing the draw was difficult early, Baz should have given the team until round after round 6 before a major overhaul.
It's like we start every week with fresh combinations which builds no cohesion and team camaraderie from week to week.
I think we definitely need some strike on the edge, decent hole runners to give the young halves something to work with in attack.
Bring back "best post"mods.