News 'What the hell was going on there?': Flanagan hits out at sudden Roosters axing

Cujo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
People have to remember that, burton is a fairly big body for a 5/8 ,so if avo,makes the position his,burton can play lock,centre,and more of a utility role,which is what cleary plans for him this year,so he will be well adjusted,by the time he comes to us.
And far more skilled & developed by all accounts....or according to Cleary at least..

jpneves

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Without being biased, he's far better off under the tuition of someone like Barrett.

Robinsons biggest weakness is he can't develop players. All the comps he's won have been purchased (2018 and 2019) or inherited (2013). Additionally, it's clear Cronk did most of the coaching in 2018 and 2019. I felt Keary really didn’t take the mantle of the no 1 in the team also. They will be a top 8 side for a few years while they have Teddy, Manu and Radley but see a ‘slide’ then Uncle Nick will ‘wash his hands’ of Trent for ‘failing’

Don't look back in anger Flanno, Robinson is a handbrake and neverwasbeen
Yeah will be interesting to see if Robinson can match the ‘SuperCoach’ tags being discussed about him. Cronk was def a mastermind of the premierships in my opinion.

jpneves

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hopefully doesn't dwell on it to much and Uses it as motivation to kill it! Love how he said he's glad to be a bulldog.
Rip in flanno and carve up the rorters when we play them!
I thought he played ok at the start of the season and hit his straps after the covid break as it gave him more time to build combos with the rest of the spine. If Allan is a bit of a ball player at fullback I think with Averillo or Wakeham at 5/8 is the way to go with a runner off Flanagan but someone who themselves can be a kick option throw a pass off Flanagan or on the other side of the field. Barrett being a half will also do wonders for his game. As Joey said it takes years to be one of the top halfbacks in the game. The goal kicking will just get better and better so 4’s will be 6’s for us now every time. Cleary has exceeded expectations and I think Barrett played a big part so I’m hopeful we will be closer to the 8 then the spoon

DogsOfWar1704

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
I thought he played ok at the start of the season and hit his straps after the covid break as it gave him more time to build combos with the rest of the spine. If Allan is a bit of a ball player at fullback I think with Averillo or Wakeham at 5/8 is the way to go with a runner off Flanagan but someone who themselves can be a kick option throw a pass off Flanagan or on the other side of the field. Barrett being a half will also do wonders for his game. As Joey said it takes years to be one of the top halfbacks in the game. The goal kicking will just get better and better so 4’s will be 6’s for us now every time. Cleary has exceeded expectations and I think Barrett played a big part so I’m hopeful we will be closer to the 8 then the spoon
Averillo is the best option at 6 imo we need at skillful running 5/8. Wakeham is a Smokey to, looks to have bulked up abit and looking ready for fg. Lewis is a no though he will try be the dominant half all the time.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
The rorters rarely let go of decent players so I hope this is an exception.

He is the best of the halves we have but we still need to remember he's played less than 30 NRL games, he's still developing and there's going to be good and bad games this year from him.

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The rorters rarely let go of decent players so I hope this is an exception.

He is the best of the halves we have but we still need to remember he's played less than 30 NRL games, he's still developing and there's going to be good and bad games this year from him.
Agree we as fans need to show some restraint in judgment on him this year. He is very early on his development journey. We all need to get behind him so he can grow as our main play maker. Be in a good place to start 2022.

This year is 100% a rebuild year. A year for combinations to gel. (Which is why Burton would be great to have early)

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
A great deal of Flanagan’s success this year will depend on his partner in the halves. If the partner can relieve some pressure off him by creating some chances it will let him play his natural halfback role.

Lewis is probably the least suited to playing a second fiddle attacking role followed by Wakeham. Averillo is probably the best suited to it with what we have but even he might not take enough pressure off. Flanagan still has plenty to work on his game so I don’t think we will see the best of him until 22 once Burton arrives.

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
More than once.
I’ve been called worse :-).
I won't comment on you dinkum dog but changing tack a little bit I find tv commentators like Gould A Johns Ponting and Warne don't know the difference between being knowledgeable and a smart arse.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
I won't comment on you dinkum dog but changing tack a little bit I find tv commentators like Gould A Johns Ponting and Warne don't know the difference between being knowledgeable and a smart arse.
In a professional environment I agree with you.
They are being paid to offer their experience and insight into the game. Little bit different from an internet discussion forum mate :-).

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Some here are too fixated on 22’
Fk sakes we haven’t even kicked off 21!!

Avo should be the 6 this season (run and gun type of 6)

Burton is walking into the 6 jersey next year barring Avo winning Dally M.

Whilst, we would love to jag Burton and JAC for this season, the reality is it’s not official and at the moment looking unlikely by the day.

Therefore based on what we have available, my team for R1 would be the following

1. Allan
2. Meaney
3. Cotric
4. Hoppa
5. DWZ

6. Averillo
7. Flanagan

8. Hethrington
9. JMK
10. Renouf
11. RFM
12. Elliott
13. Jackson

14. Wakeham
15. Waddell
16. Napa
17. C Smith

Thompson/ Okonbor come on once back from suspension and injury respectively

Cujo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
A great deal of Flanagan’s success this year will depend on his partner in the halves. If the partner can relieve some pressure off him by creating some chances it will let him play his natural halfback role.

Lewis is probably the least suited to playing a second fiddle attacking role followed by Wakeham. Averillo is probably the best suited to it with what we have but even he might not take enough pressure off. Flanagan still has plenty to work on his game so I don’t think we will see the best of him until 22 once Burton arrives.
100% agree with the benefit of a better running 5/8 to Flannos game & it also not likely occurring untill 22.
This will also give Flanno the chance of an additional 25 first grade matches (plus finals..prob not), along with a season then another offseason of learning from Barrett & staff.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Some here are too fixated on 22’
Fk sakes we haven’t even kicked off 21!!

Avo should be the 6 this season (run and gun type of 6)

Burton is walking into the 6 jersey next year barring Avo winning Dally M.

Whilst, we would love to jag Burton and JAC for this season, the reality is it’s not official and at the moment looking unlikely by the day.

Therefore based on what we have available, my team for R1 would be the following

1. Allan
2. Meaney
3. Cotric
4. Hoppa
5. DWZ

6. Averillo
7. Flanagan

8. Hethrington
9. JMK
10. Renouf
11. RFM
12. Elliott
13. Jackson

14. Wakeham
15. Waddell
16. Napa
17. C Smith

Thompson/ Okonbor come on once back from suspension and injury respectively
Cotric wing, someone else centre. Fuck off Meaney.