News 'What the hell was going on there?': Flanagan hits out at sudden Roosters axing

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
As
Good read.

It’s interesting Flanagan gave Averillo a plug at 5/8.
Hopefully he gets first crack there and Lewis is left right out.
He makes a good point about Avo running game. Flanno is a good organising half but doesn’t have a great running game. That’s ok but it means you need a running 5/8th in my opinion.

Neither Wakeham or Lewis have any type of running game. To me it’s a no brainer to have Avo at 5/8th but our coach has much more footy nous than me and is much better looking than me so I will trust what he goes with

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not sure why Crichton would leave the cats for the dogs when he wants to play fullback.. I’d rather staggs
I think Crichton is a bit more consistent than Staggs. If Trent could teach Averillo to tackle and convince Cotric to play wing this backline would be possibly better than the Bunnies or Roosters.

1 Corey Allan
2 JAC
3 Stephen Crichton
4 Jake Averillo
5 Nick Cotric

bullanth

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
So if Avo gets 5/8 this year. Where does that leave him in 2022?

Maybe centre (and Hoppa released) would hope he improves defensively. Maybe Burton Centre (doubtful). If we put him as a utiluty, i doubt he will be a bulldog in 23.
People have to remember that, burton is a fairly big body for a 5/8 ,so if avo,makes the position his,burton can play lock,centre,and more of a utility role,which is what cleary plans for him this year,so he will be well adjusted,by the time he comes to us.

Dannyboi88

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good on the young bloke be filthy I like him as a player and to be honest I wouldn’t mind his old man on the staff with baz in a assistant role if we lost one in the future

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I think we should be thanking the Roosters....they gave us a gift. A young pissed off half back with a sour taste in his mouth, a chip on his shoulder, with a point to prove and is a dead eye dick with the boot. That we picked up for a bargain basement price. Flano is the gift that keeps on giving. :grinning:

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
So if Avo gets 5/8 this year. Where does that leave him in 2022?

Maybe centre (and Hoppa released) would hope he improves defensively. Maybe Burton Centre (doubtful). If we put him as a utiluty, i doubt he will be a bulldog in 23.
It's as clear as day that Averillo needs to be the five-eighth this year. We don't need to see what the other halves (specifically Lewis) can do before being off contract (unless due to injury), we've already seen enough, even if Lewis does well he won't feature in 2022. When Burton comes I'd say you're right with Averillo in the centres, but we should be doing everything we can to move DWZ on instead (even if we want to keep Hopoate or not). We have flexibility with Cotric who can also play wing. We also have Schoupp (basically ready) and Alamoti (a couple of years away) coming through.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Flanno reminds me of cleary 2 years ago was pretty plain jane half till trent got his hands on him and cleary absolutely killed it last year im expecting the same here

DogsOfWar1704

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Hopefully doesn't dwell on it to much and Uses it as motivation to kill it! Love how he said he's glad to be a bulldog.
Rip in flanno and carve up the rorters when we play them!

Cappuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I love the fact he has a chip on his shoulder about Robinson and the Chooks but I hope this is the last time he comments on it publicly. He has had a few comments about it now but the best way to shove it up the Rorters is by playing great footy at the Dogs.

One more thing come on Tbaz give the Flange what he wants and partner him with Averillo!
Yup 3rd time now. Needs to be quiet and own it.

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Yes very interesting and confusing. Thought he will be our long term fullback, although he showed last year his body isn't ready for week to week NRL. Number 14 for a year .
Burton is a good 6 but future is in the back row. Especially the way the game is heading back to the 90s style.
All just clutching ATM.
I think last year only showed he wasn’t a centre week to week. The one game he started at 5/8 we looked dangerous and the fact we will have some decent backs and mobile forwards running off him can o it improve his game.
Who knows what 2022 brings, if he’s good enough he’s good enough. He needs to make TBaz not want to move him or leave him out of the team.

bowleggedwog

wogdog
Reaction score
I think last year only showed he wasn’t a centre week to week. The one game he started at 5/8 we looked dangerous and the fact we will have some decent backs and mobile forwards running off him can o it improve his game.
Who knows what 2022 brings, if he’s good enough he’s good enough. He needs to make TBaz not want to move him or leave him out of the team.
The big issue is Burton. We signed him with you would think the 6 position his.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Hopefully means he will become a Bulldog legend. Remember speaking to Napa when he first got to the club and he said he could not bag the Roosters..at least this kid has said what he thinks and nothing that observers of the game haven't said either...

daisy

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I seen flanno play a lot of footy through the juniors till now hope he proves me wrong but I don’t rate him would rather have avo half and burton 5/8

Snake

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The quality of ball Flano receives from the 9 will play a big part in his season and I think he would benefit from having a veteran somewhere in the spine, a luxury we don’t have.

Cujo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He's still got plenty to prove and I hope he provides the direction we need in attack this year. We've lacked variety and been predictable with our short kicking game for a long while. So direction and a crafty short kicking game are the two things I'd like to see him excel with.

It's generally pretty common in here for fans to judge our halves on their running games. And I don't think that's Flanagans strength. So I think that plenty of people here will have issues and rate him poorly if he's doing well but not running the ball much. A good halfbacks job isn't to be the finisher. It's to ensure the ball gets to the right player at the right time. So I'm hoping he nails that aspect of his game with us.
I agree with you there but would also add the importance of a good long kicking game. Sticky was a master & with the development of the game, along with the possibility of 40/20s & there ability to flip a bad set it is also vital.
Not sure of Flannos long kicking game...faded from my memory, anyone comment on their recollections??