News 'What the hell was going on there?': Flanagan hits out at sudden Roosters axing

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
good article, thanks for this.
I think he's a really good buy, out of all the players we've signed I was most happy when we signed Flanagan. As everyone says, he's a genuine halfback.
And like Trent Barrett says, I think he has more potential than Cleary.
I agree. I think he is the best of our pick ups for 2021

He is a genuine 7 - we have lacked that for a while

He kicks goals at a high percentage

From what I understand he has signed on for a fair price. We have a quality developing half back that we aren’t paying overs for.

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
you would have thought the natural response for Flanagan after being cut by the Roosters was to return to what you know and sign with the Sharks but Flanagan signed with us which I think is a forward looking move

and hopefully the treatment by the Roosters is fire for him and his development

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
He's still got plenty to prove and I hope he provides the direction we need in attack this year. We've lacked variety and been predictable with our short kicking game for a long while. So direction and a crafty short kicking game are the two things I'd like to see him excel with.

It's generally pretty common in here for fans to judge our halves on their running games. And I don't think that's Flanagans strength. So I think that plenty of people here will have issues and rate him poorly if he's doing well but not running the ball much. A good halfbacks job isn't to be the finisher. It's to ensure the ball gets to the right player at the right time. So I'm hoping he nails that aspect of his game with us.

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
He's still got plenty to prove and I hope he provides the direction we need in attack this year. We've lacked variety and been predictable with our short kicking game for a long while. So direction and a crafty short kicking game are the two things I'd like to see him excel with.

It's generally pretty common in here for fans to judge our halves on their running games. And I don't think that's Flanagans strength. So I think that plenty of people here will have issues and rate him poorly if he's doing well but not running the ball much. A good halfbacks job isn't to be the finisher. It's to ensure the ball gets to the right player at the right time. So I'm hoping he nails that aspect of his game with us.
My stepson coached against him in the Sharks Juniors. I saw him play 4 times in that period.

We both rated him as a gifted attacking footballer and decided the best way to neutralise him was to target him in the defensive line. Most of the time he had a back rower defending inside him to protect him which made it hard to get at him.

One game the tactic worked we scored a couple based on his missed tackles and he was moved to fullback basically to save his petrol tank. We also knew that his support play when a line break was made was in the same class as Terry Lamb.

Therefore what I am looking for is whether his defence has improved. We know he can provide plenty in attack and his goal kicking will be the best we have had since Halligan and El Masri.

2ndphase

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

I do like that you're using paragraphs now its sooo much easier to read now. :tearsofjoy:

Noeasyday

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score

From what I've seen Flange I thought his strengths were his general kicking game, goalkicking and support play. Seemed ok as a ball player bit hard to judge his organisation skills off the TV but I'm sure Barrett will be focused on developing those skills.
Interesting to hear him say that Averillo as a running 6 would complement his game, shows he has an understanding of his strengths and weaknesses.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
My stepson coached against him in the Sharks Juniors. I saw him play 4 times in that period.

We both rated him as a gifted attacking footballer and decided the best way to neutralise him was to target him in the defensive line. Most of the time he had a back rower defending inside him to protect him which made it hard to get at him.

One game the tactic worked we scored a couple based on his missed tackles and he was moved to fullback basically to save his petrol tank. We also knew that his support play when a line break was made was in the same class as Terry Lamb.

Therefore what I am looking for is whether his defence has improved. We know he can provide plenty in attack and his goal kicking will be the best we have had since Halligan and El Masri.
Noticed this a few years ago when I saw him play a few games for Newtown, when Eastwood was with them. He believes he is a halfback and team leader, and he absolutely was in those games. When his team had ball in hand he was clearly calling the shots and almost always involved when something interesting happened in attack. In defence he was very quiet. Having said that, I don't recall him being a problem last season in terms of missed tackles or cause of tries.

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I love the fact he has a chip on his shoulder about Robinson and the Chooks but I hope this is the last time he comments on it publicly. He has had a few comments about it now but the best way to shove it up the Rorters is by playing great footy at the Dogs.

One more thing come on Tbaz give the Flange what he wants and partner him with Averillo!
I am of the same belief...
I am not trying to burst anyone's bubble !
Flanagan should use the situation and show determination proving his worth on the field and not continue to let off steam in the media...
He should have preserved the element of surprise !!!

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I’d say he’s thinking out loud. While our roster has improved the halves we used last season where fucking woeful. He probably hoping not to be put with them. Jake at least has a running game. Flanagan can do his job a lot easier with someone like that I believe. Also why I think burton is a great long term partner for him.

I’m really impressed so far. While Allan isn’t a gun he’s certainly a solid fullback. I feel with cotric and addo carr we can afford a fullback like Allan. Especially if we replace hoppa with Crichton or staggs (rumoured to be going hard at Crichton)

With 1,6,7 locked in for 2022 on we really just need a hooker (Pray we land B Smith) and for the first time since barba, Reynolds, Hodko and Ennis we have a solid first grade spine. Perhaps even more exciting as it’s young and has the future ahead.

We could then have a few tweaks between kids and solid forwards to replace Napa and Jackson as they come off contract and we are looking really good.
I've said it before but I'm 99% certain we will be playing with 3 halves across the park...so Flanagan @ halfback predominantly through the middle with a 5/8 on either side of him. Wakeham/Lewis just don't offer enough of a threat running the ball to play this role so Jake is obviously the more desired option.

Early reports were that Baz wanted Jake @ fullback with us pushing for Burton to come over a season early...we would then lineup with Burton/Flanagan/Averillo and that would on paper tick all the boxes.

I guess Jake was lacking in areas and not ready to play fullback so we went out and recruited Allan (fits the 5/8 mould) while Burton is obviously not here. Not sure what we do with the 5/8 role from here or what happens a year or two down the track. Guess Baz is just going to prioritise finishing as high as possible this season so may just start the that with the "safer" option.

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Flanagan can't avoid getting questions about the roosters I guess, but I wish he'd just say it's in the past and he's moved on. Carrying on about how unfair it was is getting boring.

Good to hear him sounding confident in himself though. And although he should stay away from making team selections IMO, it's nice to hear Avo is well in the mix for 5/8. If Avo shines at 5/8 and makes himself indispensable to the team, he can always take Allen's fullback role in '22.

Haddaway

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
When i first read that i thought it said "Lucy is killing it out there"!
I was thinking who the fuks Lucy!! :tearsofjoy:
Tbh I brain fade and didn't know how to spell it lol. I suppose it should be Louie haha.

Papa Joe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes very interesting and confusing. Thought he will be our long term fullback, although he showed last year his body isn't ready for week to week NRL. Number 14 for a year .
Burton is a good 6 but future is in the back row. Especially the way the game is heading back to the 90s style.
All just clutching ATM.
I like it!!!

Play Flanno 1 off the ruck in attack controlling the game on both sides of the field & play Burt as a 6 outside him on the left side, with Avo outside Flanno on the right side playing as a 5/8 for that edge.

So essentially we got 2 permanent 5/8's with one playing either side of the ruck inside our centres.
The more points of attack the better.

Then we have to shuffle Flanno out of the middle in defence, maybe outside the bigger body of Burt on the left.

Baz, give me a buzz to discuss.. lol!!!

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Star Canterbury recruit Kyle Flanagan has taken aim at the Sydney Roosters and coach Trent Robinson for dumping him just one year into a three-year deal, labelling the brutal Bondi axing as "the hardest pill to swallow".

Flanagan has quickly settled in at his new club and says he is feeling comfortable with Bulldogs coach Trent Barrett, but he is still fully digesting why he was suddenly torpedoed by the Roosters.

The 22-year-old has not let that early exit dent his confidence, but admitted being benched for two games midway through last season did catch him off guard.

"It definitely [affected] my confidence during the year when I thought I was playing really well and I was the [competition's] top points scorer, then I didn't play two games out of nowhere," Flanagan told The Sun-Herald.

"I look back now going, 'What the hell was going on there?'

"I was pretty proud with how I responded to that and finished off the season.

"I remember [Robinson] saying to me, 'You're not playing poorly, we just want you to improve'.

"It was quite confusing. We were winning through that whole period there. I went back, trained hard, got back in the team and played well. I thought it was all part of the development.

"That was the most frustrating thing. I signed with the Roosters to grow and develop into the role over the next few years. Then to be told a year later that plan isn't there any more, that was the hardest pill to swallow.

"That was the most frustrating thing. I signed with the Roosters to grow and develop into the role over the next few years. Then to be told a year later that plan isn't there any more, that was the hardest pill to swallow.

"That's the business we're in, I guess."
There was always going to be plenty of expectation on Flanagan coming into the glamour club, which had won two premierships with Cooper Cronk calling the shots. Flanagan believes he more than held his own, however, and clearly so did the Bulldogs, who quickly pounced after things turned sour at Bondi Junction.

Flanagan said he was lucky to have his father, premiership-winning coach Shane Flanagan, in his corner. He said Shane always made sure "I'm feeling confident in my own game", but never overstepped the mark in terms of his involvement.

Kyle Flanagan and Roosters coach Trent Robinson chat at training early in the 2020 season before things turned sour.

Kyle Flanagan and Roosters coach Trent Robinson chat at training early in the 2020 season before things turned sour.Getty

Flanagan's axing by the Roosters left many scratching their heads, given the club's halfback options, Lachlan Lam, Drew Hutchison and Sam Walker, are less experienced than Flanagan.

Flanagan is one of several key signings by the Bulldogs and the halfback's respect for Barrett was impossible to ignore.

"I can't say a bad word about 'Baz'," Flanagan said. "I'm so glad I've signed with the Dogs. The confidence he's given me, I'm sure you'll see in the first few rounds the style of football we play.

"I'm so grateful for him to be my coach and I can't wait to form a good combination with him and grow over the next few years.

"I'm a halfback and my job is to lead the footy team around. That's all I've done as a kid, I've been that dominant halfback coming through the grades, and it's time I do that in first grade."

With Matt Burton to join Flanagan in the halves in 2022 – there is no chance Penrith will grant the five-eighth an early release – the big question for Bulldogs fans is who ends up partnering Flanagan in the halves.

Flanagan said he had trained with Lachlan Lewis, Brandon Wakeham and Jake Averillo, and had a soft spot for the latter.

"Everyone has been having a go there," Flanagan said. "Jake Averillo has been going really well. He's a versatile player who can play anywhere in the back line. I like the way he's been going. He's an exciting kid and I like his X-factor – you don't know what you'll get with him.

He's also a ball runner, which complements me.
"Having said that, Brandon and Lachie are training really well, so I'll leave that one for the coach."

Corey Allan arrived at the club this week from Souths and is seen as the front runner for the No.1 jersey. Flanagan and Allan are familiar with each other, having spent time together with the Junior Kangaroos in 2018.

Canterbury have had two of the best goalkickers in the modern era in Daryl Halligan and Hazem El Masri, and Flanagan, one of the NRL's best sharpshooters, is relishing the chance to work with Halligan again.

"I want to take my game to the next level," Flanagan said of his individual goals. "I laid a good platform last year and I want to be more dominant and be able to change a game. And as a team we have to climb up that ladder and focus on the eight."

Nothing will satisfy me more than seeing him killing it and taking his game to another level to stick it up the roosters.

2ndphase

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I've always used paragraphs. Perhaps you are mistaking me with someone else.
Nope definitely you!
You normally have a page long with no paragraphs and i get half way through reading and think ahh fuck it im out! Haha
I do like what you post though im just having a dig. :grimacing: