What is your favourite (CURRENT) TV Show

Ripley

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I'm a Roosters supporter, the 80's and 90s were one long dog turd. So yeah I know a turd when I see one and I saw one called Promethius.
It was polarising amongst fans of the franchise. And you’re an Easts supporter too so there’s that.

Ever watched it a second time? Many have appreciated more on 2nd viewing, taking it for what it is rather than expecting a traditional Alien movie.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
It was polarising amongst fans of the franchise. And you’re an Easts supporter too so there’s that.

Ever watched it a second time? Many have appreciated more on 2nd viewing, taking it for what it is rather than expecting a traditional Alien movie.
I actually liked Prometheus. The follow up was crap though.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Anyone else like American Pickers with Frank and Mike?
I never go out of my way to watch it but if it's on TV then I just have to watch the entire episode. Entertaining show. Like a new age Antiques Road show.

The "profit" thing always cracks me up though. They'll say, "I bought this for $100. I have no idea what it is but I think I could sell it for $400 so I made a $300 profit"

But you never get to see if they actually did sell it for that much.

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

I have tried to watch it again multiple times, but I get to that point where they crew have emerged from their spaceship on an alien planet and after 13.5 mins walking around a lifeless, desolate landscape, the chief scientist removes his helmet to the outrage of the others who then follow suit 30 secs later. And even after they discover the black goo is poison and potentially deadly, they continue walking around no helmets.

And don't get me started with the mapping guy who has "mapping pups" that create a 3 dimensional image of the ship they are exploring only for mapping guy to get lost on his way out. I mean farking seriously. This is the same "space technician" that has a bong in place of his oxygen supply. Oh and the other guy who reaches out to pat a snake like creature from another planet that is raring up and flaring it's hood without knowing a single thing about it?

Is it any wonder the engineers wanted to kill our species? If that crew is an example of the best of humanity, the DNA altering black goo is the last thing the universe should be worried about.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I have tried to watch it again multiple times, but I get to that point where they crew have emerged from their spaceship on an alien planet and after 13.5 mins walking around a lifeless, desolate landscape, the chief scientist removes his helmet to the outrage of the others who then follow suit 30 secs later. And even after they discover the black goo is poison and potentially deadly, they continue walking around no helmets.

And don't get me started with the mapping guy who has "mapping pups" that create a 3 dimensional image of the ship they are exploring only for mapping guy to get lost on his way out. I mean farking seriously. This is the same "space technician" that has a bong in place of his oxygen supply. Oh and the other guy who reaches out to pat a snake like creature from another planet that is raring up and flaring it's hood without knowing a single thing about it?

Is it any wonder the engineers wanted to kill our species? If that crew is an example of the best of humanity, the DNA altering black goo is the last thing the universe should be worried about.
I think they did lean a bit too heavily into those tropes. But they were obviously there to try and capture some of the misfit attitude from the original films. Basically a useless group of miners who happen to fall into this incident. In the case of Prometheus they were deliberately approaching the situation so it was well planned and should have had the best of the best. So the hapless group no longer made sense. I think they were hoping you wouldn't pay that much attention.

Ripley

Kennel Established
Reaction score

All valid criticisms and the ones made most often by fans of the franchise.

But always remember there was some just as dumb decisions made in the very first film, which they covered up somewhat by having Ripley play the wise contrarian. And that was a masterpiece, even though it was a story that's been told in a thousand movies before - Creature from the Black Lagoon, Frankenstein etc etc. Even the boogeyman story told around the first campfire. They're all Alien and Alien is all them. In the end it's just a monster chase movie... but with the best monster of all time.

Story wise, Prometheus has much more depth. But I don't try to hold it up to Alien, even though it's a very unoriginal story, it still has so many benchmarks- lived and worked space, iconic female hero, killing the lead early, that monster, that scene.

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
All valid criticisms and the ones made most often by fans of the franchise.

But always remember there was some just as dumb decisions made in the very first film, which they covered up somewhat by having Ripley play the wise contrarian. And that was a masterpiece, even though it was a story that's been told in a thousand movies before - Creature from the Black Lagoon, Frankenstein etc etc. Even the boogeyman story told around the first campfire. They're all Alien and Alien is all them. In the end it's just a monster chase movie... but with the best monster of all time.

Story wise, Prometheus has much more depth. But I don't try to hold it up to Alien, even though it's a very unoriginal story, it still has so many benchmarks- lived and worked space, iconic female hero, killing the lead early, that monster, that scene.
Cannot agree mate sorry. The face hugger that they created from the birthing was because the SPX guy had an acid trip and food poisoning. That thing was so ridiculously overblown it was comical. Why was it so big and so unlike the others from the franchise? Same as the "alien" it birthed, why was it so different to anything seen in the franchise before?

Promethius should have declared itself either a franchise movie or a stand alone, it did neither. It tried to be both and the result was a hodgepodge of crap.

Ripley

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Cannot agree mate sorry. The face hugger that they created from the birthing was because the SPX guy had an acid trip and food poisoning. That thing was so ridiculously overblown it was comical. Why was it so big and so unlike the others from the franchise? Same as the "alien" it birthed, why was it so different to anything seen in the franchise before?

Promethius should have declared itself either a franchise movie or a stand alone, it did neither. It tried to be both and the result was a hodgepodge of crap.
Well they were supposed to be different. In Prometheus it's established the black goo is the weapon developed by the Engineers to mutate life forms aggressively, hence the worms. The face hugger is a different mutation again as it's the result of Whatshername being impregnated by her boyfriend who'd been black goo'd by David. and hence the Alien (Deacon) is a further mutation of face-hugger crossed with Engineer. Perhaps (and it's never really established yes or no), that Alien was the first time there'd been that sort of creature as a result of the black goo.

In Covenant it's established that David is experimenting with the goo and Face-huggers and Aliens and all the rest of it. Follow the logic which I expect they'll continue in the next film (which apparently has a screenplay and title "Alien Awakening") is that it's David that designs the classic Alien as seen in the first film.

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well they were supposed to be different. In Prometheus it's established the black goo is the weapon developed by the Engineers to mutate life forms aggressively, hence the worms. The face hugger is a different mutation again as it's the result of Whatshername being impregnated by her boyfriend who'd been black goo'd by David. and hence the Alien (Deacon) is a further mutation of face-hugger crossed with Engineer. Perhaps (and it's never really established yes or no), that Alien was the first time there'd been that sort of creature as a result of the black goo.

In Covenant it's established that David is experimenting with the goo and Face-huggers and Aliens and all the rest of it. Follow the logic which I expect they'll continue in the next film (which apparently has a screenplay and title "Alien Awakening") is that it's David that designs the classic Alien as seen in the first film.
Didn't watch Covenant and won't be anytime soon. The franchise was dying whey they brought Ripley back as a half an half, Promethshitus was the "call it" moment imo.

This happens to nearly all franchise movies, greedy producers eventually fark them up to be unrecognisable. Terminator, Jaws, Highlander, X Men, Ghostbusters, Halloween, the list goes on and on. Alien is just another of these.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score

Apparently Scott scrapped the plans he had for Alien Awakening and carried out a re-write. It's sounding like he's going to full separate it from Prometheus and Alien Covenant.

Ripley

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Didn't watch Covenant and won't be anytime soon. The franchise was dying whey they brought Ripley back as a half an half, Promethshitus was the "call it" moment imo.

This happens to nearly all franchise movies, greedy producers eventually fark them up to be unrecognisable. Terminator, Jaws, Highlander, X Men, Ghostbusters, Halloween, the list goes on and on. Alien is just another of these.
Everything between Alien and Prometheus was garbage really, some really appalling. Aliens survives as an action movie, but it's really got no soul. Alien 3 could've been good if they let Fincher do his thing but they cut it apart on him. Apparently there's a Fincher cut that's not too shabby though I haven't seen it, the theatrical release was garbage.

At least Prometheus brought the franchise back to it's roots.

A bit of trivia - they filmed all the outdoor stuff of Covenant in one of the empty reservoirs at Potts Hill. Just off Rookwood Rd behind The Greyhound Club.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Finished season 3 of The Boys which was aptly excellent.

Finished Season 1 of Raised by Wolves that had a great start and died a bit toward the end. Hoping for a better season 2.

Finished The 100 which wrapped up the long running series very well.

Finished Season 1 of Star Trek Lower Decks which was brilliant and an excellent choice for Rick & Morty fans (and Star Trek fans)

Now looking forward to the upcoming shows including Season 3 of the amazing American Gods

And Season 2 of the surprisingly good Snowpiercer

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agree Hacky, The Boys was brilliant and Wolves did die a bit towards the end and that finale...WTF!

Can't wait to see what they do with Highlander in the next season. That boy is seriously farked up. And I didn't pick the head exploder. Nice twist.

And if Wolves heads down some new religious path, I'm out!

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Anyone watch The Social Dilemma on Netflix? - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Social_Dilemma

If you want motivation to get off social media, watch this show.
If you want something similar, listen to "The Rabbit Hole" podcast. It's about how YouTube algorithms can be (and have been) easily manipulated to create alt-right terrorists and conspiracy theorists. It's believed to be one of the key factors that lead up to the NZ shootings. It's also believed to be one of the main reasons Trump won the election.

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you want something similar, listen to "The Rabbit Hole" podcast. It's about how YouTube algorithms can be (and have been) easily manipulated to create alt-right terrorists and conspiracy theorists. It's believed to be one of the key factors that lead up to the NZ shootings. It's also believed to be one of the main reasons Trump won the election.
Cheers Hacky, will check it out. I wonder if they interviewed the same peeps? The Netflix show had a lot of ex-software engineers and designers from Google, Facebook, Instgram etc and they just spilled their guts on the goings on. I remember one bloke said and I quote "this is why I was 8 months with lawyers before I came on this show" These ex employees really lifted the lid on what these companies are doing. It's human manipulation is what they are doing. These companies should be blown up and I mean literally, take 3 truckloads of dynamite and nuke their computer banks!

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Cheers Hacky, will check it out. I wonder if they interviewed the same peeps? The Netflix show had a lot of ex-software engineers and designers from Google, Facebook, Instgram etc and they just spilled their guts on the goings on. I remember one bloke said and I quote "this is why I was 8 months with lawyers before I came on this show" These ex employees really lifted the lid on what these companies are doing. It's human manipulation is what they are doing. These companies should be blown up and I mean literally, take 3 truckloads of dynamite and nuke their computer banks!
They have one software engineer who worked for YouTube and was apparently fired for suggesting they change the algorithms to avoid this sort of thing.