What are some memories of your wonder years?

Bulldog Wrestler

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
120326.jpg

I used to spend a fair bit of my time as a kid in the 70s riding my bike around Bankstown Airport. There was a shotgun range there, near the old Aero Club. The day after a shoot, I used to go there and collect up the spent shotgun cartridges. I found the occasional live one. I'd also collect the various cardboard boxes they came in, with all the different brands. As well as some of the wads. Sometimes if the clay pigeons weren't hit, they would land unbroken and I would collect these too. At one time I had a good collection, with an old sea chest half full of spent cartridges. When we moved, the collection never made it to the new house. I gather one of my parents took the opportunity to dispose of it, amongst many of my other treasured childhood items, such as my toy soldier collection. :cry:

Bulldog Wrestler

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
View attachment 32229
I used to spend a fair bit of my time as a kid in the 70s riding my bike around Bankstown Airport. There was a shotgun range there, near the old Aero Club. The day after a shoot, I used to go there and collect up the spent shotgun cartridges. I found the occasional live one. I'd also collect the various cardboard boxes they came in, with all the different brands. As well as some of the wads. Sometimes if the clay pigeons weren't hit, they would land unbroken and I would collect these too. At one time I had a good collection, with an old sea chest half full of spent cartridges. When we moved, the collection never made it to the new house. I gather one of my parents took the opportunity to dispose of it, amongst many of my other treasured childhood items, such as my toy soldier collection. :cry:
Not far from here, was a creek/drainage canal, at the back of Birdwood Reserve. A favourite spot for catching tadpoles.

Bulldog Wrestler

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Super Flying Fun Show - Channel 9 children's show, the standard prep before school. I was lucky enough to win prizes on Miss Marilyn's Wheel, on two occasions... both Tonka toys from memory.

Bulldog Wrestler

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
The Love Boat 1981.jpg

The Love Boat (1981). When this episode was being filmed in Sydney, I bumped into actors Ted Lange & Fred Grandy, on the footpath on College Street, near the St James Road end of Hyde Park. The show was big at the time, so was somewhat exciting for a brief moment.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
View attachment 32261
I was only allowed to have a scooter (before they were cool), when all my friends were getting bikes. But, I eventually got a Malvern Star dragster and became socially acceptable again...
I remember all the kids in neighborhood had a bike in my area growing up. Some of the really really cool kids though had skate boards. I managed to find one though and the rest is history. One of my mates preferred roller blades (after the roller skates were considered boring) and another mate had a billy cart with a steering wheel as opposed to the rope.

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
View attachment 32444
I recall the Coca-Cola yo-yos being a massive fad, to the point where they would send their expert yo-yo teams to schools to demonstrate all the fancy tricks.
Aye I entered a yo yo contest once ,I was shit ended up nutting myself, I couldn't even walk the dog or whatever it was ,fuck I want to buy a yo yo now