What are some memories of your wonder years?

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
That's just it - here on Brisbane's north-side there's some ok kebab places, but only one place i know within coo-ee of my house that's actually open at 7pm. For me a kebab is that comfort food you have on your way home from the pub, not something i'd eat for lunch.

I used to be a 10 min walk from Metro 1 Kebab in Ashfield on Liverpool Rd. I was on first name basis with the owner, and he would chuck the dog a bit of meat through the window for him. i also used to like his cheesy garlic bread.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Had a "refo" mate at Belmore South Primary, His father was head waiter at the Caprice restaurant at Rose Bay in the 1950s. His uncle ran a restaurant at Watsons Bay, just near the jetty. It was closed on Sundays, and I'd go out with him and his family to visit his uncle.

Watson's Bay was a village back then. On Sundays it was dead. We'd take his uncle's rowing boat and row out into the harbour to go fishing. Plenty of fish back then. His uncle had a set of duelling swords, and we were allowed to run around the park playing Zorro - as long as we kept the rubber tips on the swords. They were a Czech family, and I was treated to traditional Czech food. Decades later, in Prague I found myself going back to Watsons Bay when I dined in some of the restaurants and got that taste from my childhood.

Trams still ran to Watsons Bay back then, and the wharf had a weighing station where big game catches could be hoisted up and put on show. Celebrity Bob Dyer used to bring in his Fishing cruiser "Tennesee Two" and haul up big sharks that he'd caught.

The pilot vessels were stationed there; and they'd go out to meet every large ship that entered trough the heads, in all weather.

Rose Bay was home to the big Sunderland flying boats - they were brilliant to watch taking off and landing in the harbour. No way they could find room these days.

Flying boats, trams, steam powered Manly Ferries, the neon lights along William St, Kings Cross. That's a Sydney that no longer exists.

N4TE

DogsRhavnaParty
Reaction score
That's just it - here on Brisbane's north-side there's some ok kebab places, but only one place i know within coo-ee of my house that's actually open at 7pm. For me a kebab is that comfort food you have on your way home from the pub, not something i'd eat for lunch.

I used to be a 10 min walk from Metro 1 Kebab in Ashfield on Liverpool Rd. I was on first name basis with the owner, and he would chuck the dog a bit of meat through the window for him. i also used to like his cheesy garlic bread.
Good old Metro 1. Also Peakhurst Kebabs after you would come out of the old Peaky Pub

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
View attachment 31075View attachment 31076
Favourite TV show of my childhood, The Samurai (Shintaro)

Honourable mentions to:

World Championship Wrestling (Australia)
Lost in Space
The Thunderbirds
& most of the cartoons of the era...
Shintaro and Tombei the Mist. When I was in Japan I asked if Shintaro was a TV legend, and most hadn't heard of him; but when they Googled Shintaro, they found the old shows (called Onmitsu Kenshi in Japan)and fell in love with them.

Ose Koichi, who played the Samurai, was an expert swordsman, and is still alive.

How many kids made their own star knives and threw those bloody dangerous things at each other?

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
Good old Metro 1. Also Peakhurst Kebabs after you would come out of the old Peaky Pub
Indoor cricket - then Peaky Pub - then the Yulans club house through to the early morning. That was mid week.

Weekends, roundy at Hurstville (when we weren't banned), off to the exchange/taxi club with my lebbo mates who did door work there (great life experience in working out what was lumped and what wasn't, thank fck for the boys as they saved me a few times). They always said that a-grade chicks go there coz they don't expect to be hassled by the boys - they'd get pissed and we didn't need to hassle them :innocent: . Then back into some kebab joint at Belmore on Canterbury Rd that was according to the boys, the best. They weren't wrong.

Different time, no knives, blue's had some honour to it (you went down that was it). You went out and didn't act like a dick - it was all good. Good times.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Primary school lunches from the local shop... my regular order, a pie with sauce and a Glug.
I remember the tuck shop at my primary school was hardly ever opened - maybe once a week. They didn't have many volunteers.

In high school though it was different. They had volunteers work there but there were plenty of them. Being a school with 3 times the amount of students as the primary school, many of the students relied on that for their lunch (although there were vending machines).

By the time we got to year 12, the new principal made it a form of business. He out-sourced it to a private company who would rent it out and provide the food.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
View attachment 31996
This gave me flashbacks to dad accidently running over my surfboard, at Easts Beach Caravan Park, Kiama, circa 1970s.... though he was driving a Valiant...
I'm wondering what the logic is in this one lol. I mean they're trying to use a surf board as a ramp - there's no way it could possibly work.