What are some memories of your wonder years?

Disposable Hero

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Australia’s Wonderland was such an awesome place. I worked there twice , In food outlets when I was a teenager and as a rides operator when I was 20. As well as having a wonderpass for 4 years. I went there hundreds of times. It was a shame when it closed.
I remember seeing the GNR show there.
Stealing lollies from the shops.
Holding your legs up on the Pirate ship so you slid around in the seat.
Good Times!!!!

The DoggFather

OG DF
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I remember seeing the GNR show there.
Stealing lollies from the shops.
Holding your legs up on the Pirate ship so you slid around in the seat.
Good Times!!!!
Haha I pilfered all sorts of things from there including my fair share of lollies from the lolly shop in Hanna Barbera land.
We were a bunch of unsupervised young teenagers, we used to run amok there tbh.It was great fun

N4TE

DogsRhavnaParty
Reaction score
Parramatta Speedway I remember dad would take us because our next door neighbour was a driver in one of the sprint cars and the smell off fuel brakes and mud mixed with the noise I use to love it.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Parramatta Speedway I remember dad would take us because our next door neighbour was a driver in one of the sprint cars and the smell off fuel brakes and mud mixed with the noise I use to love it.
It's a shame that place closed last month hey.

N4TE

DogsRhavnaParty
Reaction score
It's a shame that place closed last month hey.
Really I didn’t hear about that what a shame had great memories there. Will be shitty $2.1 million a pop apartments that start cracking apart after 12 months I’m assuming

Wahesh

Reaction score
You know I can honestly reminisce for ages.

In year 4, things were different for us. It was basically the last year for the kids to be together. The girls went up to year 6 in that school, but the boys only went up to year 4, so from year 5, the boys had to go out in the world into high school. As it was the last year for us to be around our circle of friends, the teachers organised (with parents permission of course) a school sleepover. This is how it went:
  • Kids and their teacher sleep over a Friday night in the classroom
  • As it was Summer and December, after school, the first thing the kids did with their peers and teachers was go down to the local pools for free swimming
  • After the pools, we'd go back to school, get dressed, then go to McDonalds for a very cheap but fun dinner
  • Go back to school, it's evening, but daylight still thanks to DLS, so the boys, with the yard to themselves, played touch footy
  • Night time, we had the choice of watching 2 movies in different classrooms. 2 rooms were playing Jurassic Park, the 3rd room playing Aladdin
  • If anyone needed to go to the toilet, a convoy of students would go with them torches in hand
  • Next morning, breakfast in the staff room, then all the kids would go home with their parents.
The idea of sleeping over in high school would've made any student cringe, but this was primary school.

Last edited:

Wahesh

Reaction score
Saw some people having a picnic in the park. We don't see that anymore. That's definitely a memory of my wonder years. People are only doing it because they're been told they can't due to lockdown lol.

N4TE

DogsRhavnaParty
Reaction score
Think I’ve said it in another thread (thought it was this one but looked and couldn’t find) Anyway this Aussie families introduction to Kebabs. Walking down from Belmore leagues club to Belmore oval and the bloke that use to sell kebabs and hotdogs. As a pretty Anglo family we had never really come across kebabs with garlic chilly tabouli but I’ll never forget my first and then it became a tradition every time Dad would take us to Belmore oval. And I hate to say but I have definitely eaten my fair share of kebabs over the years since those days..

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Think I’ve said it in another thread (thought it was this one but looked and couldn’t find) Anyway this Aussie families introduction to Kebabs. Walking down from Belmore leagues club to Belmore oval and the bloke that use to sell kebabs and hotdogs. As a pretty Anglo family we had never really come across kebabs with garlic chilly tabouli but I’ll never forget my first and then it became a tradition every time Dad would take us to Belmore oval. And I hate to say but I have definitely eaten my fair share of kebabs over the years since those days..
I miss three things about Sydney:

1. My niece and nephew.
2. The Bulldogs (well, except for the past two seasons).
3. Getting a good bloody kebab.

Wahesh

Reaction score
I miss three things about Sydney:

1. My niece and nephew.
2. The Bulldogs (well, except for the past two seasons).
3. Getting a good bloody kebab.

Wahesh

Reaction score
I don't mind the odd kebab here and there, but not that often.

I remember back in the mid 90s this was this Greek Gyros place in Campsie. That's where I first discovered 'chicken salt' on the chips they provided lol. That place is long gone.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
I had an uncle who managed two properties out at Trangie, west of Dubbo. Very flat country, and a big sheep rearing area in the early sixties.
My uncle preferred to go around in a horse and sulky. I lived in Sydney, but visited him a couple of times, and went out with him and his dogs, which rode in a frame under the sulky. He'd check the mobs, and treat the fly blown animals with old hand shears.

At shearing time the sheds were running flat out. It was a great time for a young fella, rounding up sheep for the shearing pens, or riding out into the properties and help pull animals out of muddy dams, cut off the lamb's tails, treat the fly blown sheep, or drag them into the railway vans for transport.

His dogs were amazing the way they could round up a mob and move them around on just a few commands or whistles.

I learned a lot about the way people used to live on the land, before satellite technology or PCs.

Also had a great aunt who lived in a cabin, with a dirt floor and flattened kerosene tins for lining the walls. She had no electricity, a well for water, and a fuel stove. There was a pit toilet away from the cabin and well. The bunk beds were made from hessian bags slung between poles. Staying with her was a great holiday for a kid. She lived at Dural in the 1950s - there was a daily bus from Parramatta that went out there along the unsealed Old Northern Road. You could see it coming by the dust cloud.

Dural was remote, and mainly citrus farms. She lived on Roughley's property. Nearby by was a huge free range chicken property run by the Cranston family - real free range chooks, just allowed to go all over the place, and put into big pens for the evening to protect them from foxes. We'd go there to collect eggs.

I see Dural these days, and there is no hint of what it was like back then. Same for Trangie - taken over by foreign owned cotton corporations. The town has diminished. No outdoor picture theatre, banks, rail service, department store. Sad.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
I remember when a full bag of red frogs cost 50c at primary school and a sausage roll was $1 zooper doopers were like 25c.
Let's just say if you took a gold coin to school you were bill fkn gates
I remember when milkshakes were a shilling.