What’s wrong with T Baz?

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Yes we're lacking in grunt up forward but what i dont understand is why is our line speed in defense so sloooow.
Teams are just rolling down the field way too easily and puts us on the back foot every set.

Penriths line speed is fast Baz would know this.
You have a look at the Dragons line speed now it is so much faster which is what Griffen has changed.
Plus we always having some idiot running out of our defense line leaving a massive gap.
How about our 2ndphase play its non-existent!
Defense is all about attitude.
Hunger and desire not to let points in.
If a burglar wanted to break and enter into our home where my kids and wife sleep, I will be doing everything in my power to stop the low life scum from entering. I would literally put the scum bag through the wall with every bit of strength I have and it will be driven by my emotion. He will have to kill me to get in.
A serious defensive team will be like that. I remember watching the dragons defense in 2010, they were like soldiers ready to kill. They were possessed!

There was too much emphasis on our bad attack over the last few seasons, and I think Baz got too driven by it to fix it and actually over complicated things for the team. The truth is, had our $1M a year star play maker stayed on the field over the previous 3 seasons our average points scored would have been much higher and the spot light would not have been shinning on our lack of points.

If you haven't got your defense in order, don't bother training for attack.

Hey Baz, let the boys play mate

ATT

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Look at what the chairman and Barrett have been saying and in some respects achieved already.
we are a development club. Mountys won both grades on the weekend. Against teams with apparently future stars. Moorbank won with some 20s on the side. Flegg won convincingly. Ball made the finals. Matt’s come good once there halfback returned. Sponsorship is going well. So have financial backing.
negatives 1st grade. Some the players won’t be here next year. So development will make future players accountable for performance unlike know.
Overall setting up the academy and a future school for development. Will sort a lot these issues.
Barrett can only do well how do I say it as good as he can with some these tools.
we will be fine going forward. But this season is going to hurt like all hell

shaun5150

Kennel Established
Reaction score
You can’t compare your regular job with these guys who have made millions by the end of their playing career.
Fair call our younger guys should be putting in,but the rest will live out a very comfortable life style
Us regular peeps on average 50,000 would love to play and earn the amounts they do. So they should put the work in and start getting their shit together

ATT

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Us regular peeps on average 50,000 would love to play and earn the amounts they do. So they should put the work in and start getting their shit together
It’s a great idea in principle. But the salary cap doesn’t allow it. We are tied in with this lot till the end of the year at least.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
I really dislike the 6 again rule and for the first time in forty-five years I haven't watched other teams because of that rule change. I now only watch the Bulldogs games, and even then... only just.
Apart from us, other teams have adapted and it dont be an issue as much.

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The majority of our answers are in list below:

DOGS TOP 30

Its all up for debate BUT the majority will somewhat agree.

- 5 players in bold is what is of NRL standard (week in week out) with 2 out injured.
- 9 players that could be considered fringe players that might make a bench or could be concealed in a strong team. (Topine, Averillo, Allan, Napa, Hethrington, Doorey, Ogden, Atoni, Flanagan)
- We literally (at minimum) do not have of NRL standard 1, 3, 4, 6, 7, 9, 10

Its going to be a long winter!

1Adam Elliott
2Brandon Wakeham
3Chris Smith
4Christian Crichton
5Corey Allan
6Corey Waddell
7Dallin Watene-Zelezniak
8Dean Britt
9Dylan Napa
10Jack Hetherington
11Jake Averillo
12James Roumanos
13Jayden Okunbor
14Jeremy Marshall-King
15Joe Stimson
16Josh Jackson
17Kyle Flanagan
18Lachlan Lewis
19Luke Thompson
20Matt Doorey
21Nick Cotric
22Nick Meaney
23Ofahiki Ogden
24Raymond Faitala-Mariner
25Renouf Atoni
26Sione Katoa
27Tui Katoa
28Tyrone Harding
29Will Hopoate
30 Jackson Topine
You hit the nail on the head mate. Look at this list...it's fucking putrid. How is it even possible to assemble a roster with so few NRL standard players in it? Not to mention our spine...they're all reserve graders FFS and people wonder why we're losing.

We will improve massively next year not because of Baz but because of the better players we recruit. Burton alone will improve the side 10-fold because of his fantastic kicking game. His long kicks will get us out of trouble if our forwards don't make any metres and his short kicks will get us repeat sets. Not to mention he engages the line unlike our current halves.

If we sign the right type of players next year we'll start winning games and then people will be claiming what a great coach Baz is. The roster has, and always will have, a FAR greater impact on a team's results than whoever the coach is.

silva

Utility
Reaction score
Giving him the full season and half of next before I judge him. We have a new spine which is our biggest issue. Plenty of questions not enough answers atm. He has a mighty job ahead of him

Malla

Reaction score
I hope you are right and that Barrett is a bloody awesome coach. But, what makes you so sure he is not off the pace? He has not demonstrated anything at all (zero, nada, zilch ...) this year to prove or even give us a glimpse of good coaching abilities.

I am trying to understand the basis of the confidence quite a few are showing in Barrett,‘a coaching abilities in the absence of any demonstrable examples of this so far. We all really want the team to succeed - just want to make sure we are not impeding this by backing the wrong horse.
Because he inherited a piece of shit team

Bluebarry

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
This isn’t a T Baz issue , for me maybe 15% him but the roster is 85% to blame for the misery so far and perhaps till the end of season

Malla

Reaction score
It’s funny we say both Pay and Barrett inherited shit teams but between the both of them they probably bought half the players in our squad lol
Pay inherited an ok team in a shit salary cap situation and as a result we have had to buy shit players

a dogs life

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
The following things are losing us games.
1. Unforced simple errors,
2. Failure to apply pressure with kicks, or attempt for repeat sets.
3. Centers who can’t capitalise in attack.
4. Poor defensive reads especially on our goal line.
You can tell TBaz is trying to train this crap out of our game every week but we just can’t seem to rid ourselves of the shit. How frustrating.
I do see small improvement every game and with only 12 I think we played our best footy yet.
Fix the 4 things and we give ourselves a chance.
5. Defensive line speed

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Pay inherited an ok team in a shit salary cap situation and as a result we have had to buy shit players
We chose to buy shit players. Especially recently. Too many like for like players.

What’s Flanno done that’s better than Lewis/Cogger?

What’s Hethrington done that’s better than Sue/Tolman

What’s Corey Allen done that says he’s better than Holland/Montoya.

If you don’t have better players to replace them with then don’t sign anyone, re-sign the existing players on 1 year extensions until you find what you want.

I mean it doesn’t exactly work like that because there are other variables but you get my drift.

Bullpit

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Because he inherited a piece of shit team
You can inherit a shit team and still be a shit coach - it’s not an “either or”. I am not saying he is a shit coach - I am just saying I have not seen anything from him so far to suggest he is a good coach. And no one on here has pointed out one strength we have seen in his coaching ability (apologies if I have missed it).

Northern Beaches dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
How would you coach a team that knows most of them won't be there?

How do you get a team on your side when their future's are no longer at the club and have no job security?

Would you like to continue going into work knowing you don't have a place in that organisation in the next six months and you have no other offers? Would your heart still be in it?

Think about the minds of these players and the stress they are encounting. Their minds aren't on the job that is there for all to see and I am not defending them one bit as they have contributed to their demise but these are facts of being human where it does effect your mentality.

Until we have the majority of our players on two to three year contracts with the potential of new contracts after that and knowing they have a future at the club and that the club means everything to them then we are staying right where we deserve to be.

Get off Barrett's back because remember this, no other coach wanted to come near us with what they saw in the player roster and salary cap.
These players who have no contract should be the easiest to coach because they are playing for there livelihoods/
Something is really wrong here

Northern Beaches dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is 100% coaching.
This roster is no WHERE NEAR as bad as those post Tinkler Knights teams, yet we are giving up over 30 points a game.
Players should be playing much better than they are.
Barrett as the coach should set the environment for players he has to flourish. Instead they have all gone backwards.

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
This is 100% coaching.
This roster is no WHERE NEAR as bad as those post Tinkler Knights teams, yet we are giving up over 30 points a game.
Players should be playing much better than they are.
Barrett as the coach should set the environment for players he has to flourish. Instead they have all gone backwards.
Honestly, it’s time we ditch this bullshit structure play and let the boys have fun.