What’s wrong with T Baz?

Rockdog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
The following things are losing us games.
1. Unforced simple errors,
2. Failure to apply pressure with kicks, or attempt for repeat sets.
3. Centers who can’t capitalise in attack.
4. Poor defensive reads especially on our goal line.
You can tell TBaz is trying to train this crap out of our game every week but we just can’t seem to rid ourselves of the shit. How frustrating.
I do see small improvement every game and with only 12 I think we played our best footy yet.
Fix the 4 things and we give ourselves a chance.

OldDogFan

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
OldDog, yes you are 100% correct. It is no one's fault but the players themselves but we are stuck with them for the remainder of the year hence why I put it on the players rather than the coach for why we are where we are. None of them have shown they can step up and all 15 off contract should go so that we get rid of the losing culture
Novdoggie I also don't hold TBaz 100% responsible the team is a unit and not every component is working as it should. We all seem to be experts when it comes to suggesting who should play, who should be dropped and who should we buy. We are all frustrated watching this great club grinding out mediocre, substandard performances week after week but our opinion is worth jack sh!t, after all we are just pleb fans. I hope you are right though and they clear out the dead wood because another sh!t year will probably destroy this club.

steveng

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Barrett needs to make a call on the current roster and change things up immediately , we are just getting the same as previous years . Hoppa, Katoa & Nappa have been our deadwood for the last few years, I cant believe Barrett doesn't see this - the longer he persists with these guys, the more it just proves that he is not a capable coach.

liljohny

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The majority of our answers are in list below:

DOGS TOP 30

Its all up for debate BUT the majority will somewhat agree.

- 5 players in bold is what is of NRL standard (week in week out) with 2 out injured.
- 9 players that could be considered fringe players that might make a bench or could be concealed in a strong team. (Topine, Averillo, Allan, Napa, Hethrington, Doorey, Ogden, Atoni, Flanagan)
- We literally (at minimum) do not have of NRL standard 1, 3, 4, 6, 7, 9, 10

Its going to be a long winter!

1Adam Elliott
2Brandon Wakeham
3Chris Smith
4Christian Crichton
5Corey Allan
6Corey Waddell
7Dallin Watene-Zelezniak
8Dean Britt
9Dylan Napa
10Jack Hetherington
11Jake Averillo
12James Roumanos
13Jayden Okunbor
14Jeremy Marshall-King
15Joe Stimson
16Josh Jackson
17Kyle Flanagan
18Lachlan Lewis
19Luke Thompson
20Matt Doorey
21Nick Cotric
22Nick Meaney
23Ofahiki Ogden
24Raymond Faitala-Mariner
25Renouf Atoni
26Sione Katoa
27Tui Katoa
28Tyrone Harding
29Will Hopoate
30 Jackson Topine

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
1. He bottled the top 30 selections
2. He can't pick the best 17 available in their correct positions
3. He isn't coaching to our shit players level, he's over complicated things with his cookie cutter Penrith approach.

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
1. He bottled the top 30 selections
2. He can't pick the best 17 available in their correct positions
3. He isn't coaching to our shit players level, he's over complicated things with his cookie cutter Penrith approach.
I agree that performance is unnaceptable. Defence is poor and thatvis a combination of attitude, discipline, fitness and structure. No excuse for our defence being poor, even teams with no quality can defend well.
1. Who would you put different in the top 30? We were confident on Burton but it didn't happen.
2. Not a lot of depth. Any replacements he makes are unlikely to maje a difference to the outcome.
3. I think the players are finding it difficult to unlearn the negative structures from Des and Pay. It is unnatural and having Flanno not engaging the line and doing everything in slow motion with no strike for him to pass to is painful to watch. IMO, my preference is for him to coach to his structure and if players cant handle then get new players. This will not be pretty for a while

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
These guys earn more money in a short career than a lot of people in a life time... packing a sad because you may need to move on at the end of the year is no excuse. Pretty sure Robbo didn't pack a sad when he knew his time was up.

League has turned into overpriced Instagram flogs wanting 'likes' and keeping their faces pretty... not playing League to win.

Stress... boohoo... soft c*cks. Harden up!

They should be paid for wins and paid much less for losses. Not a big fat cheque just for turning up.
Just about every other team has a lot of players coming off contract and in the same boat.

Not a viable excuse (if things were right at the club). Something not right off the field it looks or a truth session booze up needed.

kungfuman

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
How would you coach a team that knows most of them won't be there?

How do you get a team on your side when their future's are no longer at the club and have no job security?

Would you like to continue going into work knowing you don't have a place in that organisation in the next six months and you have no other offers? Would your heart still be in it?

Think about the minds of these players and the stress they are encounting. Their minds aren't on the job that is there for all to see and I am not defending them one bit as they have contributed to their demise but these are facts of being human where it does effect your mentality.

Until we have the majority of our players on two to three year contracts with the potential of new contracts after that and knowing they have a future at the club and that the club means everything to them then we are staying right where we deserve to be.

Get off Barrett's back because remember this, no other coach wanted to come near us with what they saw in the player roster and salary cap.
Well maybe if they had a go they wouldn't be worried about not having a job next season!

MariaZ

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Hey guys, not interested in blaming the roster etc

Barrett has a lot more to play with in regards to the roster as opposed to the last few years (so if we blame the current roster it is even more alarming in regards to T. Baz so it nullifies that argument)

We were touted as the team who recruited better than the majority, Dragons were favourites for the spoon with bookies and most experts had us improving on last year’s results.
As soon as we signed Barrett I was against it (purely from his terrible results with a pretty impressive Manly squad) I thought he was absolutely trash in his Sea Eagles tenure.

When hearing him speak I wanted to give him benefit of the doubt but undeniably he is pretty outta his depth.

Curious to some intelligible input from the Kennel as to what exactly is Barrett’s flaws?

I admit, he is well presented, articulates things well, seems respected by the players (from the outside looking in) helped the panthers attack, seems to have a vision but his execution is terrible. We are now the worst team ever in the NRL era (literally).

I have heard from some guys from Manly that he was actually not well liked by many of the playing group and had a toxic relationship with Jackson Hastings-I get players can be difficult but could you see Bellamy getting dragged into a mud slinging match with some ego driven twenty year old? ( quite alarming and screams ego, immaturity-Todd Payten esque)

Very curious as to why Barrett is so far off the pace? There is nothing glaringly obvious but no doubt he has major flaws and to me the players don’t look like they’re playing for him.

Basically, want to know what he is doing that is so wrong yet quite difficult to decipher from the outside looking in.
The injury’s are certainly not helping our situation with the likes of RFM, JMK, Jayden O, Jackson, Lewis... not saying that these guys are top quality players but they are better than most of the plodders that are replacing them and we could have managed one or two wins if they were fit to play.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
The injury’s are certainly not helping our situation with the likes of RFM, JMK, Jayden O, Jackson, Lewis... not saying that these guys are top quality players but they are better than most of the plodders that are replacing them and we could have managed one or two wins if they were fit to play.
Well at least RFM and OK might have made a difference lol

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Barrett's trying to implement a specific system so we're better off long term (which is why I believe the players look like they don't know what they're doing), the Panthers are the blueprint. Pay (and other coaches like Griffin, Dragons significantly better roster than ours) tried to simplify things and play to players strengths (not many of those) which is going to look better short term. Barrett is looking for improvement week to week and season to season whereas Pay was just trying to straight up do everything possible at the time to win a game. There's nothing wrong with either method but they both have their positive and negatives. I still don't think you can ignore the roster which is one of the worst in the NRL at full strength, if not the worst, and we've missed players game to game (injury, suspension) and also for an extended period. Even when Pay was the coach I was blaming the roster and saying it wasn't good enough, I also don't think we strengthened enough going into 2021. We literally lost our best player in a key position.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Yeah it's Trent's fault Hopa took the wrong option

its Trent's fault Hertherington hit Holmes high

its Trent's fault Atoni did a fucking stupid pass early in the game

its not Trent's fault this side has fucking dumb ***** in it
Nah... its my fault soz.

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Let Baz build his squad then judge him. End of the day we have no choice. Who is gunna replace him and coach this team to better results?
No, I don't want him gone, he's in his first year of a 3 year deal. We've given other muppet coaches more time, he does deserve a proper shot that's for sure. My gripe is he shouldn't of been selected as coach to start off with when the no brainer was to bring Holbrook back home to Belmore. What about Anthony Griffen, he got sacked at Penrith and they were in the top 4. But now that Baz is here of course he needs to be given a good shot with a better roster.

You see what really bothers me is the air heads inside the club who keep making the wrong decisions. And it's been like that for years and years.
I don't care who was the cause, whether is was Dib, Des, Castle, The Andersons, or this new board....the common denominator to all this is bad decisions, really bad decisions. We have been really shite for 5 years because of bad decisions in the front office.

ricko_29

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nothing is wrong with Baz, he needs to put games under the belt of players that may be here for another few years..... plain and simple.