What’s wrong with T Baz?

Dogs Of War

On the Warpath
Reaction score
I suspect as others have said he’s narrow minded in his approach to how we should play.
Look at the way Bennet coaches, its supposedly very simple, he gets the players enjoying their footy and encourages them to be good people off the field.
Then they just go out and play a simple game and their talent does the work.

Whereas I think Barret is very structured and it hasn’t worked as yet.
It might once they get use to his way of playing.

Plus our roster isn’t very good but as you say we played better the last few years with players that “aren’t as good”
We generally only played better towards the end of season. Our starts the last few seasons have been terrible.

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I cant work out how people can say we have a lot better roster than last year. We replaced Tolman for Heth. Thats a lot of experience lost. Is he better, in the future absolutely, but hes only young. We replaced Foz with Flanno. Again alot of experience lost. Flanno is not the finished product yet, no where near it. Foz was, and need i remind people he was our one and only attacking threat last year towards the end of the year when people saying we supposedly played much better. Allen again is only young, with not much fg experience. So the only real upgrade i see currantly is Cotric, A winger, not sure how he was gonna make a huge diff atm. We also have RFM, Meany, Jackson, JMK, Oky (am i missing anyone) all injured who id say would all nearly be in our starting side. We all say drop players and play youth for the future. What do u think Flanno, Avo, Allen, Topine, Hetho are, yet we critisize them and want them replaced too. Let the team develop, let the coach develop, replacing coaches every 6 months aint gonna help anyone.
100% correct.

In hindsight it's so easy to see why we're not winning games. It's 2 steps back to go 3 steps forward in the future.
We've lost a shitload of experience, although the players we lost were not doing anything special but they did have some experience and had played together for a while. that's why I will state that Barrett wasn't my first choice coach but considering the circumstances I'm behind him 100% at least up to the first 8 rounds next year with some decent players in the squad, then I will judge him. People calling for his head now are just crazy.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I would’ve thought it’s very obvious how we should approach the game tomorrow and every game going forward ...show the players what we did with the ball when we had 12 players and say that’s how we will attack then add some defensive steel and Bobs ya fkn uncle

Disposable Hero

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The way things are going it might be a short time. Getting very impatient. I went to first game in 1965. Can’t remember it ever being as bad as this.
:rage:
Then unlike your name Sir.
You have an extremely short memory.
We had some poor form through the 90's and 2000's. Even under Des there were mediocre years.

I for one am glad this year started the way it has. I would prefer we hit Rock Bottom and starting heading up.
Instead of the mediocre crap we have been served the last 5 years.

I do not blame Pay. As he was mostly not responsible for the teams make up. I do hold Des highly accountable

BondiBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Then unlike your name Sir.
You have an extremely short memory.
We had some poor form through the 90's and 2000's. Even under Des there were mediocre years.

I for one am glad this year started the way it has. I would prefer we hit Rock Bottom and starting heading up.
Instead of the mediocre crap we have been served the last 5 years.

I do not blame Pay. As he was mostly not responsible for the teams make up. I do hold Des highly accountable
Mate, not being rude or whatever but let’s please stick to facts.
Not only are we worse than the early 90’s/Des etc
We have had the worst start to the season in Nrl history (literally) so yeah not sure how you’re drawing a comparison there.
So this a lot worse than ANYTHING pre 1970, I can’t comment on before then.

Disposable Hero

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mate, not being rude or whatever but let’s please stick to facts.
Not only are we worse than the early 90’s/Des etc
We have had the worst start to the season in Nrl history (literally) so yeah not sure how you’re drawing a comparison there.
So this a lot worse than ANYTHING pre 1970, I can’t comment on before then.
I did not take you as being rude.
Likewise I was not trying to be rude. To oldmate.

Im trying to get the point across. At times Rock Bottom is a good thing.
I do not a see a difference between coming last or 12th. Its still the same result. A poor one.

At least now players like Napa and hoppa and a few others who would have looked slightly better in a team coming 12th and may have earnt a contract extension. Will not get that extension. The team is better off for this.

An example. I guees would be Dean Pay wanting the dogs to sign Reynolds and Marshall. This does not fix anything for the future. It only fixes the now.

We are focused on the future and people need to calm themselves and be patient.

Im not saying barret is the saviour. Look at the team. We have been heading towrds this for 5 years now we all knew it was coming. Now we have to hold on in the low and be ready to ride the High whwn it comes

BondiBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don’t think we need to stoop to record breaking lows to realise we have a lot of work. I never want a wooden spoon, ever. It’s super embarrassing where we’re at the moment

Blue&whiteAxe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys, not interested in blaming the roster etc

Barrett has a lot more to play with in regards to the roster as opposed to the last few years (so if we blame the current roster it is even more alarming in regards to T. Baz so it nullifies that argument)

We were touted as the team who recruited better than the majority, Dragons were favourites for the spoon with bookies and most experts had us improving on last year’s results.
As soon as we signed Barrett I was against it (purely from his terrible results with a pretty impressive Manly squad) I thought he was absolutely trash in his Sea Eagles tenure.

When hearing him speak I wanted to give him benefit of the doubt but undeniably he is pretty outta his depth.

Curious to some intelligible input from the Kennel as to what exactly is Barrett’s flaws?

I admit, he is well presented, articulates things well, seems respected by the players (from the outside looking in) helped the panthers attack, seems to have a vision but his execution is terrible. We are now the worst team ever in the NRL era (literally).

I have heard from some guys from Manly that he was actually not well liked by many of the playing group and had a toxic relationship with Jackson Hastings-I get players can be difficult but could you see Bellamy getting dragged into a mud slinging match with some ego driven twenty year old? ( quite alarming and screams ego, immaturity-Todd Payten esque)

Very curious as to why Barrett is so far off the pace? There is nothing glaringly obvious but no doubt he has major flaws and to me the players don’t look like they’re playing for him.

Basically, want to know what he is doing that is so wrong yet quite difficult to decipher from the outside looking in.
I dont genuinely believe he was the architect behind Penriths attack. Look at them now. They are a well viced machine and he was a conveniently positioned cog.

He simply isnt a head coach from what ive seen now and at Manly. Wishing him well and hoping for the best but so far his coaching staff is just scraps. Our stength and conditioning coach is overweight for starters...need i say more.

OldDogFan

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have no problems with TBaz as head coach. Just sit back relax and let him do his job, I feel we will start to show some improvement. We have a new coach and new players, even a brand new engine needs to be run in before you can extract peak performance from it. Just remember anyone can do any job given enough time, so don't panic and wait and see what TBaz can produce with the cattle at his disposal. There are still 19 games to go.

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I actually hope he builds the team he wants and goes on to become a great coach. Sick of everyone sticking the knife into him. I don’t think any coach would make anyone happy on TK. The guy deserves a chance.

Disposable Hero

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don’t think we need to stoop to record breaking lows to realise we have a lot of work. I never want a wooden spoon, ever. It’s super embarrassing where we’re at the moment
Cmon a record broken is record brpken. We gotta celebrate that stuff