We need an Alpha

Papa Joe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
As the rebuild continues we starting to look like a team, Crichton will possibly become our fullback also we have 2 or 3 young hopefuls,, we need a halfback but that could be covered by Oloapu or other rising young half, we do have some very talented forwards coming through but we missing the final piece of the puzzle, an ALPHA a prop to lead the pack the team,
Who will it be ???
Ideally NAS is the one, however if we miss out should we consider the following ALPHA'S -

JWH for 1 year until we can go for someone like Hass when they are off contract the following year???

Matt Lodge who might even be available right now as he is still not contracted & only on a train & trial deal??? Big downside is his Questionable Character.

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Ideally NAS is the one, however if we miss out should we consider the following ALPHA'S -

JWH for 1 year until we can go for someone like Hass when they are off contract the following year???

Matt Lodge who might even be available right now as he is still not contracted & only on a train & trial deal??? Big downside is his Questionable Character.
I would never say yes to Lodge.

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The situation we’re in, if he could come over now, I’d say yes to Lodge.

What he did it the states was an utter disgrace and although it’s not an excuse, he was clearly on MDMA or some powerful hallucinogen ..

It was 5 years ago and from all accounts he’s been clean since then and hasn’t gotten into any other trouble ..

2 seasons at a cheap price could work ..

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The guy we need is Patrick Carrigan.
Good speaker, leads by example, has excelled even at rep level and lifts the team around him. Captain material.

But no hope in getting him....

John Matrix

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I thought TPJ was going to be that but he is a potato.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
We can throw names out there til the cows come home but NAS is likely to re-sign with the Storm and several others mentioned like Carrigan aren't going anywhere.

PaxMaxi1980

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Big year for TPJ coming! He’s the man! NAS would be perfect to cap that shit off.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I honestly hope we get back to the habit of finding the diamonds in the rough. It's all well and good to sign stars occasionally. But they have to be in the right positions. There's plenty of hard as nails props that wouldn't break the bank. And these days having an enforcer type of prop can actually go awry. If we got someone like JWH I'm sure the judiciary would be licking their lips at finally being able to suspend him since he wasn't a rooster anymore.

I wouldn't complain if we signed an intimidating prop. But the spine still needs quality. I hope we get that right and build our pack with guys like King, who didn't come with the massive reputations.

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
We can throw names out there til the cows come home but NAS is likely to re-sign with the Storm and several others mentioned like Carrigan aren't going anywhere.
I honestly don’t know where Storm finds room for an 800k NAS… they can’t have 5 blokes on/near/over 1M and be cap compliant and surely guys like Coates, Welch and Olam would be minimum 4-500K

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I honestly don’t know where Storm finds room for an 800k NAS… they can’t have 5 blokes on/near/over 1M and be cap compliant and surely guys like Coates, Welch and Olam would be minimum 4-500K
The rest of their squad is made up of nobodies and youngsters/journeyman though. The last few seasons they've lost half of their squad. They'd probably be spending $4 million on Pap, Munster, Hughes and Grant but aside from Welch and NAS, there's no one else in the squad that would cost too much. With the cap going up by a fair amount, I can see how they would have the cap space.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Boats

judyisapunk

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Surely there are some aggresive super league players we can target.. when Manly were smashing us, the only only bloke who was really trying to get some back was little Reed.

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
As the rebuild continues we starting to look like a team, Crichton will possibly become our fullback also we have 2 or 3 young hopefuls,, we need a halfback but that could be covered by Oloapu or other rising young half, we do have some very talented forwards coming through but we missing the final piece of the puzzle, an ALPHA a prop to lead the pack the team,
Who will it be ???
Did anyone watch Felise Kaufusi today or even paid attention to what Jake Trbojevic did to our forwards ?
This is The Alpha we are missing !!!
The quickest solution could be in the form of Matty Lees from St Helens the UK.

foREVerA7X

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Payne Haas is David Klemmer 2.0. Metre eater and solid motor. Yes probably has better footwork and more speed than Klems, but on the whole, no huge difference.

Novdoggie

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Put Kikau in the middle, he can be just as destructive as any forward in the middle and let Alamoti get early ball and show his talent

habs

xdf
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
Bench selection was shocking. We should take in an extended squad this week. Pele needs to work on his match fitness and cut out the errors in his game.