Opinion V'Landys has to go!!!

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
There might have been a few dominating teams. But we're in a situation now where certain teams regularly fall to the bottom few places on the ladder and it takes years for them to move. Blame poor management if you want, but the system is broken when you can generally have about three or four teams battling for the spoon every year unless they cheat (the eels were a case in point in getting caught cheating the cap while winning three consecutive spoons). The salary cap was supposed to end this by providing a level playing field, but instead we see these bullshit articles from players supposedly taking 200-300k per year less to stay in successful systems. You can't honestly tell me that player managers would accept this shit.
I don’t doubt there’s still dodgy cap business and TPA’s are worse because the NRL can’t control them. Easy for say Cameron Smith (citing a recent highly paid player) to be paid $750k by the Storm but pocket $1m+ as one example. I’ve had a few discussions re: a model around a salary ceiling for all players as base wage (let’s call it $250k) and the rest is performance based - tries, tackles, metres and several other measurements. Would obviously have to compensate for injury, but not suspension etc. Might make club CFO’s work harder but would make players work harder to earn more and stop overpaid players chewing up the cap for too long. Tell me what’s wrong with that model. I’ll insert the disclaimer that the red wine is doing some of the talking now :-).

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Pls. Back in the 90’s etc there were always the same sides dominating. Same in the 80’s. We’re just shit now that’s all.
Yeah but there wasn't a fully policed salary cap then, and also the bottom two teams were genuinely horrible and lost by tonnes (Souths, Wests, Seagulls etc) but the other non finals teams were more competitive than we're seeing now.

Obviously the salary cap isn't working now either.

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
The rule changes give referees almost total immunity to scrutiny. I'm not saying that we'd be dominating if the 6 again rule wasn't in place. But this system really allows them to make decisions on the fly that just don't seem to have any reasoning behind them. I've been watching the game since I was old enough to know the rules. I wouldn't say that I don't understand the rules anymore, but I'm fucked if I know how they're applied.

Vlandys took over the racing industry from someone that frequently caught out shonky dealings. After he took over there are supposedly no more shonky dealings, or alternatively he's set systems in place that allow cheats to get away with it if it suits the gambling industry.

Believe it or not but more and more people are coming over to the idea that referees are responsible for haing a fucking massive input into the outcomes of games. I started believing that refs worked hand in hand with gambling agencies when a friend pointed out that he was making decent money on backing goalkickers to be the first point scorers every match. Not huge money because they were pretty short odds for goalkickers to score first points, but I watched for the refs to blow the whistle in front of the sticks and saw that it was pretty frequent. Not long after that Tandy and a lot of other footballers and agents were investigated for apparently catching onto it and betting on what my mate had clued into and made a few thousand dollars on over the course of a few months. From then on I was suspicious and watched for other trends. It may be cognitive bias but I frequently saw one sided refereeing then. And all of this happened after the NRL allowed a gambling provider to get their claws into the game. It's an absolutely massive conflict of interest.

I just look at the rules Vlandys has implemented and think that with his influence we've given referees an almost unimpeded oppportuity to directly affect the outcomes of games. If there were no people suspicious of this it wouldn't be an open topic. You may think other people are paranoid or wearing tinfoil hats. But there are plenty of people that would look at those who can't see the conflict of interest (Gambling agencies should have no involvement with a sport they provide odds on), biased refereeing and blatantly wrong calls as wearing blinkers. I spoke about this to a sisters boyfriend who supports the Sharts and he said I was probably right, but he'd rather ignore it and just try to enjoy the game anyway. I personally would still care that we lose if refereeing was fair, but I find it hard to even enjoy winning if I think the ref handed us a victory (not that that has happened in recent years).
I agree Al 100% that betting agencies should have no place in the game. If we where 3/0 instead of 0/3 vlandy’s and the rule changes wouldn’t even be a topic of conversation in this forum

AlzzBulldog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Lol what a crock of shit, all these rules have done is expose the clubs that don’t have good systems in place for their juniors and have shit recruitment and retention systems, there are four or five club’s that just need to be better at being football clubs it’s that simple the quality of football between the better run clubs has been fucking outstanding we just aren’t one of them.
There was nothing wrong with the game before

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
I've already said it. The timing of the new rules directly benefited the top teams stacked with classy attacking players. These teams at the top now, as soon as they get the ball it's game over. 6 again after 6 again until the other team is too tired to compete anymore. This just allows more 6 agains. This rule alone just showed the already massive gap between the have's and have not's + the teams looked after by the NRL. We will see a year of blown out scorelines unprecedented in the NRL before.

Riggs80

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The salary cap was meant to change that but the problem is they started making exemptions for this & that & it is almost useless. The only difference now is that the dominating teams have changed
salary cap was not meant for that
salary cap was for teams not to go broke
draft was for talent equalisation but got challenged in court

we have been lucky that the salary cap has kept teams even , but once your get cap of around 9m -10m it’s easier for top teams to hoard talent compared to the 2-3m cap that was around for eons

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I don’t doubt there’s still dodgy cap business and TPA’s are worse because the NRL can’t control them. Easy for say Cameron Smith (citing a recent highly paid player) to be paid $750k by the Storm but pocket $1m+ as one example. I’ve had a few discussions re: a model around a salary ceiling for all players as base wage (let’s call it $250k) and the rest is performance based - tries, tackles, metres and several other measurements. Would obviously have to compensate for injury, but not suspension etc. Might make club CFO’s work harder but would make players work harder to earn more and stop overpaid players chewing up the cap for too long. Tell me what’s wrong with that model. I’ll insert the disclaimer that the red wine is doing some of the talking now :-).

I think that as a bare minimum towards making the salary cap work, this idea of teams being able to offer massive unders sets the scene for cheating. The rules should change so that the top bidder on a player sets the general ballpark range of what that clubs can bid for them. Using Cam Smith as an example. If we'd offered him 1.2 million under the salary cap, Melbourne must at least come within $25k-$100k of matching our offer or not make an offer at all. That means that outside the cap payments might still come into play for him, but a team stacked with talent couldn't get away with paying him $700k under the cap under any circumstance when another club was offering a crapload more under the cap. It would really kill off the opportunity for clubs to get away with paying huge money through cheating methods to get/keep a player.

When you look at this in terms of 1 player it mightn't seem like a big deal. But there are teams around now that could (and seem to be) cheating the system by paying 4-5 players big unders compared to their market value then using cheating methods to actually top up their payments.

It wouldn't be an instant fix to balancing out talent. But it might mean that a club with a star spine, would have a budget priced forward pack. While a club with brilliant outside backs couldn't afford a killer spine etc. As much as I'd love for the dogs to get back to a point where they were pretty much guaranteed a top four finish each year again. I know that the game needs to be in a position where every team can change their odds within a few years so fans don't have to suffer long periods where their admin has made a desperate decision to try to climb out of a hole which just digs them in deeper.

Novdoggie

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry is that before or after we sack Barrett and our players because it seems as though when things aren't going our way our fans want to sack everyone that stands in their way?

Understand our facts within the club before you go kicking stones. Part of the reason we are miles apart from the top eight sides and worlds apart from the top four sides is our retention and recruitment. This has failed us since Des was in charge and if you recall he absolutely put a pen right through all the names in our under 20's and reserves. He tried to buy a premiership by keeping and resisting to drop the likes of Tony Williams, Moses Mbye, Michael Lichaa etc etc. He bought on millions a broken down Keiran Foren when we had Averillo and Wakeman coming through. Not to mention he let Damien Cook leave. He ignored our upcoming juniors and the result of that is we are only now coming out the other end.

Teams such as Penrth yeh they have one of the biggest junior competitions to get their talent from but they use it well, recruit and promote.

Before you go out and spend $2 on a black marker pen and paper take a look in our own back yard before critising those who unlike any sport in the world kept our game going and have crowd attendances during Covid. Be grateful to those that you are even watching a game.The skill in our game which I contribute to the rule changes is like no other and if and when we get back to the top I doubt that you and many others will be too worried for the bottom sides and asking for sackings.

Suck it up Princess we are in it for the long haul.

Last edited:

Kebab74

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Get off the disco biscuits.. Mods this a grade 4 reckless and careless blog

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
The one thing I'd like to see introduced is some kind of computer system which manages the 10 metre rule and pings the ref in the ear bud when there's offside.

I think a consistent 10 metre rule changes a lot of this domination. At the moment it's far too subjective and hard for the refs to officiate

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
salary cap was not meant for that
salary cap was for teams not to go broke
draft was for talent equalisation but got challenged in court

we have been lucky that the salary cap has kept teams even , but once your get cap of around 9m -10m it’s easier for top teams to hoard talent compared to the 2-3m cap that was around for eons
Both were meant to be used in conjunction with each other

ash160

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
..the game has become a steaming pile of dog shit! I’ve been watching for almost 50 years and don’t understand the rules anymore. It seems certain teams like ours have to clear the ruck before the tackle is even complete while other sides can lie all over our guys. Half the time the 6 agains or penalties people have no clue what was the infringement.

The rules are now applied so inconsistently it’s comical.

give me the league of the 80s and 90s any day of the week, this new game is painful to watch

Last edited:

Malla

Reaction score
Lol ease up. New rules or old rules we are shit

Vek

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Real problem with the new rules is it favours one playstyle and one playstyle only.

Gone is the "War of Attrition" style of footy.

Its AFL now.