Tyson V Ali

Status
Not open for further replies.

silva

Utility
Reaction score
Ali had the greatest hand speed for a heavyweight ever. And speed is power. He was just as capable of knocking out Tyson as vice versa. All in all, Ali would land more punches and play a smarter game. Id take Ali late in the piece.

silva

Utility
Reaction score
i know what you mean, but there is no comparing them, or seeing who would win, because they are boxers from diffrent era's

honestly you cant chose, as they are two different generations of boxers
Boxings one of the only sports where you can compare fighters from different eras. Not much has changed at all over the years.

Game Breaker

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
i know what you mean, but there is no comparing them, or seeing who would win, because they are boxers from diffrent era's

honestly you cant chose, as they are two different generations of boxers

Yeah, thats true, its not easy to compare, but we can still try. Its an interesting topic. We've had this topic before

One thing that Tyson has over Ali is power.

What does Ali have?

Hand speed
Footwork
Endurance
Ring Pshychology
Lateral Movement
Incredible chin
Sharp refelxes
Taller
Longer reach

Even things that cant be measured like heart, and ability to frustrate their opponent (keep in mind Ali constantly talks when he fights "is that all you got" "cant you punch harder" that will really frustrate someone like Tyson)

Ali fought in the golden age of boxing, who he beat says alot.

In Tysons prime, his opponents were nothing compared to Ali's.

Ali was still winning fights way after his prime, even being champ twice. A good measure of how good someones prime was is their post prime career.
Also Ali beat guys fatster and more powerful than Tyson.

Even people associated with Tyson (i.e trainers, managers etc) say Ali wouldve beat Tyson

Game Breaker

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Ali had the greatest hand speed for a heavyweight ever. And speed is power. He was just as capable of knocking out Tyson as vice versa. All in all, Ali would land more punches and play a smarter game. Id take Ali late in the piece.

Yep, his handspeed was incredible.

1:05 - 1:10 of this video, amazing handspeed

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=RmaHGY7BEog

Probably the closest person to come close to his handspeed for a heavyweight is Floyd Patterson, some say even he was faster than Ali. I only mention this because he was trained by the same guy that trained Tyson, and he had a similar style to him, and Ali beat him TWICE

A

Al.Bundy

Rocky Marciano would wipe the floor with both at the same time.

A

Al.Bundy

Yep, his handspeed was incredible.

1:05 - 1:10 of this video, amazing handspeed

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=RmaHGY7BEog

Probably the closest person to come close to his handspeed for a heavyweight is Floyd Patterson, some say even he was faster than Ali. I only mention this because he was trained by the same guy that trained Tyson, and he had a similar style to him, and Ali beat him TWICE
The same guy that coach the 04 bulldogs coached the 08 bulldogs. Your argument does not work.

Game Breaker

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
The same guy that coach the 04 bulldogs coached the 08 bulldogs. Your argument does not work.

Yes it does, because Patterson had a similar style to Tyson, and had faster handspeed, which was my point.

Im talking about style, alot of fights are won and lost on style.

xeno

xXxeno
Reaction score
Yes it does, because Patterson had a similar style to Tyson, and had faster handspeed, which was my point.

Im talking about style, alot of fights are won and lost on style.
You can't compare two fighters coz of one coach. It's like saying Alex Ferguson will train all players at Man United to be like Christiano Ronaldo.

Did Patterson have the same brute force that Tyson had? Did he have his reflex? I could go on a bit about this but lets appreciate them for what they both offered in terms of entertainment. Two of the greatest fighters to ever embrace boxing

Game Breaker

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
You can't compare two fighters coz of one coach. It's like saying Alex Ferguson will train all players at Man United to be like Christiano Ronaldo.

Did Patterson have the same brute force that Tyson had? Did he have his reflex? I could go on a bit about this but lets appreciate them for what they both offered in terms of entertainment. Two of the greatest fighters to ever embrace boxing

LOL, we're comparing style of boxing. Got no idea why people bring up football

Ofcourse Patterson wasnt as poweful as Tyson, but his style didnt even trouble Ali. Didnt even trouble him. Dont forget that

Buster douglas used similar tactics to Ali when he beat Tyson, with the long jab and lateral movement, and look what happend.

Dont go on ignoring style

xeno

xXxeno
Reaction score
LOL, we're comparing style of boxing. Got no idea why people bring up football

Ofcourse Patterson wasnt as poweful as Tyson, but his style didnt even trouble Ali. Didnt even trouble him. Dont forget that

Buster douglas used similar tactics to Ali when he beat Tyson, with the long jab and lateral movement, and look what happend.

Dont go on ignoring style
I dont ignore style, but saying a guy who lost to Ali that was trained by Tyson's coach means that Tyson would of lost is rediculous.

Tyson has great speed and a lot of things Ali had but you seem to ignore that too.

Lets just agree to disagree.

Game Breaker

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I dont ignore style, but saying a guy who lost to Ali that was trained by Tyson's coach means that Tyson would of lost is rediculous.

I didnt say that! lol

You neglected to mention that I included his style, so yes you did ignore style, My post was about style, why do keep ignoring that

If the same style didnt even trouble him, that means ALOT.

Trying to negate this by using a weak football anology is ridiculous

Btw, you seem to be the one who used the argument you mentioned above

Joe Bugner went the distance with Ali. tyson would KO Joe in 30 seconds. Tyson by knockout.

Nothing could be more true than what you just said!

LOL

Tyson has great speed and a lot of things Ali had but you seem to ignore that too.

Lets just agree to disagree.

Like what?

Ali was faster, all the things I mentioned was what the other had over their opponent.

The whole point of this thread is to discuss and compare, if you dont want to do that then why bother posting in it?

Abdul..

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
They were both great boxers. Who knows what would have happened. I luv Ali as he was the Peoples champion and has handled himself well outside the ring. Has aged gracefully not with standing his illness.

Pity Tyson did not handle himself well outside the ring. This works against him IMO, as does the fact he kept dodging Lewis all those years.

xeno

xXxeno
Reaction score
I didnt say that! lol

You neglected to mention that I included his style, so yes you did ignore style, My post was about style, why do keep ignoring that

If the same style didnt even trouble him, that means ALOT.
Trying to negate this by using a weak football anology is ridiculous
Btw, you seem to be the one who used the argument you mentioned above
LOL
Like what?
Ali was faster, all the things I mentioned was what the other had over their opponent.
The whole point of this thread is to discuss and compare, if you dont want to do that then why bother posting in it?
Styles can be used by many individuals, it's how you apply those style. I never ignored your style issue but its insane to say that coz they have the same style they would achieve the same results.
Ali would have to contend with some who was harder hitting, faster on their feet etc.
Style helps but the Athletism of a boxer is what is truly needed and Ali did have this but from all the vids i've seen. If you put them two in a boxing ring at their peak, i dont think Ali stands a chance.
As slash has said though, two different eras and professionalism had more emphasis in Tyson's time.

Anyways both great boxers but nothing compares to Tyson and I'm not even a fan of the guy. I'm a Lennox Lewis fan

Game Breaker

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Styles can be used by many individuals, it's how you apply those style. I never ignored your style issue but its insane to say that coz they have the same style they would achieve the same results.

No not the same result, Patterson had faster handspeed, and yes he did apply that style well, to suggest he didnt apply the style well is crazy

and the point is, Ali had no trouble with that style. Thats a VERY important point

Style helps but the Athletism of a boxer is what is truly needed and Ali did have this but from all the vids i've seen. If you put them two in a boxing ring at their peak,

Yes Ali was definately the better athlete, no doubt about that

i dont think Ali stands a chance.

Thats your opinion, thats what we're discussing, thats the point of the thread

But its worth noting that Tysons camp, (trainer, manager etc) have said Ali would win.

Would you mind telling me why you think Tyson would win?

xeno

xXxeno
Reaction score
No not the same result, Patterson had faster handspeed, and yes he did apply that style well, to suggest he didnt apply the style well is crazy

and the point is, Ali had no trouble with that style. Thats a VERY important point

Style helps but the Athletism of a boxer is what is truly needed and Ali did have this but from all the vids i've seen. If you put them two in a boxing ring at their peak,

Yes Ali was definately the better athlete, no doubt about that

Thats your opinion, thats what we're discussing, thats the point of the thread

But its worth noting that Tysons camp, (trainer, manager etc) have said Ali would win.

Would you mind telling me why you think Tyson would win?
Biggest thing in my mind is he had the power over him. The speed and techniques aren't much different but Tyson had that killer instinct. And to suggest Tyson wasn't fit is rediculous. He would go all the way with Ali.

But personally all over after 5 rounds. Tyson always went out hard and i don't think Ali would handle it

Game Breaker

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Biggest thing in my mind is he had the power over him. The speed and techniques aren't much different but Tyson had that killer instinct.

Techniques were different.

Ali was faster

Tyson had more power, yes.

But its not like Ali didnt fight powerful fighters, he even fought guys who had more power than Tyson

And to suggest Tyson wasn't fit is rediculous. He would go all the way with Ali.

Lucky I didnt say that, do you even read what I post?

But personally all over after 5 rounds. Tyson always went out hard and i don't think Ali would handle it

The bums Tyson fought couldnt handle it, but Ali wasnt like those guys.

Lesser fighters could handle it as well

M

mofo sixx

it wouldnt even be a contest, if you take Ali from his prime of say 1967 and tyson in his from the late 80s

he would have slaughtered tyson,

ali is the greatest

astroboy

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Techniques were different.

Ali was faster

Tyson had more power, yes.

But its not like Ali didnt fight powerful fighters, he even fought guys who had more power than Tyson

Only person who might pack a bigger punch than Mike Tyson is probably George Foreman.

Status
Not open for further replies.