Trial and I’m worried

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well if they finish 15th there is no way in hell Baz will still be there.
And that's why I don't really care what happens this season. I hope we at least play some exciting and competitive footy, but if we fail to perform with the squad he has now, he'll be flicked. Perform or fuck off, it's simple.

I have faith in the team that they have assembled, especially when Mahoney arrives, to be good enough to win a prem. It's really only the coaching staff (and mainly Trent) that will determine if it happens or not.

For all of the doubt over Trent's coaching ability, one thing is not in doubt, he has a good relationship with players and has been responsible for some of our best (if not the best) recruitment drive in history. Gus had infl on Kikau and Mahoney probably, but Trent clearly has that ability, so maybe he'd be better as recruitment manager? Peter Sharp is in that role currently iirc.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I did notice some of that but the bulk of the errors are from the old gang. Captain courageous Jackson made 2 errors, one off the back of points, that led to Sharks getting a leg up. JMK countless missed tackles and shit service from hooker. Your mate Okunbor with an offload to casper. His mate Schoupp that forgot how to catch a ball last night.

I dont think Burton is the weak point, I just think TPJ can't match it with those smaller agile backrower that hit holes and change direction. Sooner Baz moves him to the middle the better.
Yes Jackson is finished, I was against his re-signing at the time and unfortunately it looks like I was right. He can defenitely play a role but that role isn't as a key player on big $$$ at our club. Yh the others were all bad. Burton probably isn't the weak point and more so TPJ like you mentioned but he still missed twice as many tackles as Jake despite both of them making the same amount for tackles. The right edge just gets targeted more close to the line because it's a total shambles, the other edge at least has JAC to baby sit his inside men lol.

TPJ is 100% a middle and he offers us far more in that role than being forced onto the edge. Jackson although he's slow and ineffective he's probably the best choice to start on an edge right now, we just have to improve our edge defence and he's surely no worse than what we have there now or potentially with Waddell. Topine also isn't getting a look in and I understand that he's undersized and need to get more minutes into in the lower grades but he's probably capable of playing that middle forward role that can distribute the ball that Baz wants.

Anyway we're pretty fucked, roster is still unbalanced but I can't help but feel Baz is only adding to the problems with his insistence on wanting to play a certain way

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I guess that makes us being shit all good then
Nah, just means trials mean fuck all. We all know Penrith will still be a top 8 team.

I've been excited by trial form in past years, only to be crap over the season and vice versa. People these days comment endlessly (because they can) online and everything is amplified. Take a break, breathe and remember it's ONLY A TRIAL. If they play like that after the spine and pack have played 10 or so games together, then start panicking.

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The biggest disappointment for me, and probably the thing that is going to take more time to fix is the way the forwards get dominated, with and without the ball - is it condition, strength, technique - a combination of all?
I thought Vaughan and Patolo had some strong runs, and Thommo had plenty. Waddell and King were also decent. I didn't see it all one sided, but you have to remember, the Sharks had some massive ***** play. Hunt, Fifita and Pele for a start. Finucane isn't hige but is hard as. That's their strength, it's not our's. Only thing I was a bit concerned by is Vaughan and whoever the other player was that let Hunt score quite easily from a simple hitup near our line. Also, Hethro and TPJ were pretty ineffective. That has to change, or they need to be replaced.

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree but after First 20 minutes or so the sharkies had complete control - lack of possession obviously had an effect but still the lack of resilince in the middle was disappointing.
As JAC said post match, we need to limit the errors to retain energy. Their big boys took a lot of energy out of our middle, continually stampeding.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
And the funny thing is players making these simple stupid errors and mistakes are from last years squad...
Did TPJ play for us last year, shit I missed it.

Always a Bulldog

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
We should just resort to Des ball if the players we have aren't skilled enough to play like the Panthers. We at least have some strike players to score points when we get to their end.

I have no doubt that Des would've come up with a simple game plan that plays to the strength of the team.

Rassayri

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
To me this needs to be done
Allen and Burns on one side cause Okunbor and Schouup have no idea those two are much safer options not to sure what to do about our 7 Cook needs to start over JMK TPJ needs to moved to the middle with Vaughan Jackson on the edge with Hetho and on the other and Thommo at lock and I guarantee we will see heaps of improvement our double Ds which are defending and discipline needs to be worked on as well if baz can’t change and sticks with last nites team then we have no hope

mr j

Kennel Established
Reaction score
The trials highlighted big issues with our handling errors and ill discipline. Exactly what you want out of trials. I’m sure this will be the emphasis over the next fortnight to ensure we are ready for Round 1. If this is how we perform over the first two months id expect for sackings. As tough as it is, we need to follow the process. Panthers lost 36-0 but I’m sure they aren’t panicking behind the scenes.

Jebbundy

Kennel Established
Reaction score
didnt the reigning premiers get done 36-0 on the weekend
Yeah I’m not to worried about the score, we can’t have to many injuries or bodies on the line for a trial, I just hope enough has been seen to say some of these players shouldn’t be in the 17

Malla

Reaction score
Yes Jackson is finished, I was against his re-signing at the time and unfortunately it looks like I was right. He can defenitely play a role but that role isn't as a key player on big $$$ at our club. Yh the others were all bad. Burton probably isn't the weak point and more so TPJ like you mentioned but he still missed twice as many tackles as Jake despite both of them making the same amount for tackles. The right edge just gets targeted more close to the line because it's a total shambles, the other edge at least has JAC to baby sit his inside men lol.

TPJ is 100% a middle and he offers us far more in that role than being forced onto the edge. Jackson although he's slow and ineffective he's probably the best choice to start on an edge right now, we just have to improve our edge defence and he's surely no worse than what we have there now or potentially with Waddell. Topine also isn't getting a look in and I understand that he's undersized and need to get more minutes into in the lower grades but he's probably capable of playing that middle forward role that can distribute the ball that Baz wants.

Anyway we're pretty fucked, roster is still unbalanced but I can't help but feel Baz is only adding to the problems with his insistence on wanting to play a certain way
Burton might actually be a weak point for now though as he defended in the centres last year - probably tough coming here defending at 5/8 for a shitter defensive team. But Yeah I would have Jackson on the edge purely for his defense. On paper you would think we lose a lot in attack without TPJ there but honestly he offers nothing on the edge - only (almost) positive he had was running the decoy that was an obstruction anyways lol he's much better in the middle. Prefer him in the front row and Thomo at lock.

If we do re-sign Jacko again it surely wouldn't be big bucks. He is not worth it. Maybe playing for a shit team the last 5 years has taken it all out of him, but we will see when the comp starts. I don't even rate him as a captain. He is a push over.

I 100% believe in Topine, we saw what he is capable of in his debut off the bench played almost 80mins at hooker (not where he trained) and he defended his ass off.

Not sure what solution is but the imbalance comes from having a shit hooker imo. Need someone to control the middle of the ruck and take pressure off our halves to always do something. Mahoney cannot come soon enough. Not saying he will solve everything, but he will sure things up through the middle. I still see the imbalance though. Can't have JAC sitting on an edge scratching his balls.