News Trainer sacked

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Boo-fucking-hoo, it's a business. You don't perform, you get the boot. Plus he is 66, enough is enough.

We are full of plodders and passengers living off glory from decades ago.

Let the clean out continue.

PS fkn lol @ using our past players quotes, it's not like they can say what they really feel so the have to pay lip service to fit the medias agenda.

Last edited:

Novocastrian

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hes getting on a bit now. Time for fresh faces and new ideas. Players get stale around the same training patterns. I know he wasn’t in our bubble this year but for the last few years now the team has been unfit, slow and weak.

BDPScarface

Kennel Established
Reaction score
So because we are the family club we can't ever sack anyone? Give me a break. The dude is old and Barrett probably wants to bring in his own people.

This guy crying like this only makes him look shit, not the club. Maybe they could have handled it better but it is hard with how things are so a phone call is pretty much all that they can do.
Agree. I'm glad they got rid. Does he want what's good for the club or not? He's not living in a third world country. He'll get a pension, and he's got good years to look back on.

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Comments from Mason Williams and Thurston criticising the club for moving on from Carden are a bit hypocritical- they all moved on for what they believed was in their best interests.
There is no doubt that the dogs players do not appear to be as physically strong as other clubs players - more than one person responsible for that.

David holland

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I've thought about it and I'm disgusted in hearing a person is sacked and most importantly how his sacked unacceptable, the club is running last and business is business something has to change,if Barrett wants his men in, I'm fine with that,after a couple of seasons his going to be judged I don't want excuses I want results or your out

mikey

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Yeah this isn't a good look. Surely we could have kept him on
Then U got SBW And Thurston 2 of the most high profiles in the sport condemning it. Not often you see that
Your talking nearly 20 years ago with those two.game has changed

SweetFA

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Bulldogs’ reputation as rugby league’s ‘‘family club’’ – one they are trying to restore – has taken another hit with the sacking of a man who helped guide and train some of their biggest stars during four decades at Belmore.
Garry Carden, who helped shape the careers of Sonny Bill Williams, Johnathan Thurston and Willie Mason, has been told he is no longer wanted by the club after 37 years.
Former premiership winner Mark Hughes, a key member of Tedd Glossop’s famous ‘‘Entertainers’’ sides of the 1980s, is another who is likely to go.
Carden was a trainer at the Bulldogs for many of those years.
“The club and its players have been my life,” Carden, 66, said. “I’ve been on JobKeeper because of COVID this year, but the club wouldn’t have known if I was dead or alive until they called to sack me. [Canterbury’s general manager of football] Steve Price called and I hung up on him. I got an email from their HR department. Idon’t know why I’ve been sacked. I feel like after nearly four decades, I don’t exist. So much for the Bulldogs being a family club.”
Advertisement

Williams wanted to speak out when he heard from former teammates about Carden’s plight.
RELATED ARTICLE
Hot property: Souths star Cameron Murray.
“Without his dedication and expertise, I wouldn’t have been ready for first grade,” Williams said. “He helped shape my career in the important early days.”
Mason was more fired up. “Garry is part of the Bulldogs’ solution, not part of the problem,’’ he said. ‘‘You never sack this kind of bloke from a club. You treasure and respect them.’’
Thurston said he was ‘‘shocked’’ at the decision. ‘‘He looked after me,’’ Thurston said. ‘‘He is Canterbury to his core. He made players tough ... He got me ready for what was ahead in my career.”
Advertisement

The Bulldogs say there was no choice but to let Carden go, given the financial impact of COVID-19 and the appointment of new coach Trent Barrett for next season.
Misinformed & poorly written article. Another blight on this current (lack of) leadership & administration to allow this article to be published. Another free kick at the Club.

For the record Gary Carden wasn’t directly involved in the current strength & conditioning staff. Most recently he was a trainer/conditioner to our U20s & juniors. An absolutely loyal Bulldogs Clubman. However everyone has their use by date......
Clearly Barrett is taking a street sweeper through the coaching hierarchy & given our most recent pathetic performance, it won’t be the last employee to be told his services are no longer required.
The way his termination was communicated to him by the leadership is the sore point.

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agree with the decision but not the execution. This is similar to the CHN thing, the club didn't keep in contact with him during the covid break.

When Barrett first signed it was reported in the media that the club weren't going to change the football department which had me very worried but it seems like this will be happening which is a huge relief. The club has a loser stench about it so most people (if not all) associated with the Des/Pay era should be gone (including SG). We need a fresh start. Just copy and paste the Penrith blueprint onto us and we should be fine.

I cant want until we start attacking like the Roosters/Panthers.

liljohny

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Comments from Mason Williams and Thurston criticising the club for moving on from Carden are a bit hypocritical- they all moved on for what they believed was in their best interests.
There is no doubt that the dogs players do not appear to be as physically strong as other clubs players - more than one person responsible for that.
Agreed

Mason and Williams.

1 fled the club without even showing one ounce of common human decency.

The other organised a mass exodus from the club citing that the club would have won more premierships if folkes wasn't coach.

Mason, Williams....shut up you brain dead idiots....

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
He had to go. He has not evolved into a modern trainer. I believe the club has recruited a guy from the Knights.

DoggyStyla

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Out with the old and in with the new. Maybe could have retired him in some kind of desk position. The game has changed and we are still struggling to put in an 80 min performance.

DOGSOFWAR2013

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why would I worry or care about criticism from a explayer that caught a flight to France one random midnight 1 year into a 4 year deal..

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Our strength and conditioning has been behind every other teams for years. We look slow, unfit and weaker than others. Clean out is needed.
Our players also dont have the physique to "look" fit compared to most other rosters.We look like midgets. Penriths backline is bigger than our forward pack.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Not being disrespectful to the guy, I thank him for his service and everything he did for the club. As I said in the other thread relating to him not often you get to do a job you love for 30+ years but we need a clean out of anyone who is there just because they've been part of the club for "x" years.

We need the best person for the job, they don't need to be connected to the club, they don't need bulldogs DNA, they just to be the best at what they do.

wigum

Immortal
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Why are they taking quotes from players who praised his efforts 15 years ago like it's relevant lol

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Another blight on this current (lack of) leadership & administration to allow this article to be published.
Anything for a shot across the bow, eh?
So now the club should control who writes what and when? Turn it up SFA :-).

OR - you’re suggesting it was the ‘manner’ in which the non-renewal of contract was communicated? Garry wasn’t in the 50 person bubble so couldn’t be told face-to-face under C-19 protocols. Hence the phone call from Price and Carden hung up on him! But that’s the clubs fault of course...

The rest of your post at least had some accuracies...

Last edited:

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
If he's been working with our juniors coming through it was probably time to call it a day on his career here. It's been pretty rare to see a junior step up that looks physically ready in recent years. It might not have been the ideal way to let him know we no longer need his services. But if he's hung up when we rang he might have missed out on any conversation regarding moving into a different role. For all we know he could have abused the shit out of Price before hanging up. He's a going to make himself sound bad by mentioning that in this article.

Our club need to ensure we have the best people in place moving forward and they obviously think he's not the answer moving forward.

Reactions: ATT