Daily Telegraph/Rothfield Toby Rudolph

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Slim pickings now.
I think the last few years has shown that you dont have to be off contract to be available.

Of course I want us to sign some quality players soon but alot of clubs do end of season reviews and then let some players know that they can look around. For example Mansour at Souths, Flanagan at Easts, etc.

So even if we dont sign heaps of players before the end of the season it doesnt mean we wont strengthen the roster further in the off season

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
I think the last few years has shown that you dont have to be off contract to be available.

Of course I want us to sign some quality players soon but alot of clubs do end of season reviews and then let some players know that they can look around. For example Mansour at Souths, Flanagan at Easts, etc.

So even if we dont sign heaps of players before the end of the season it doesnt mean we wont strengthen the roster further in the off season
Yep, I'm just of the belief that you can't rely on contracted players popping up (end up with panic signings/nothing if no one pops up) and that the people in charge of roster management should be planning the roster at least 1 year in advance. I could of told you since last November there wasn't much available at prop even then (why missing out on Leniu was a very bad miss).

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
It

It is what it is as they say.
Just as long as they have Plan B, Plan C thru to Plan Get A Hooker and at least 1 x running fr and 1 x running edge if possible in sc.

We have to build Top 4 over a few years anyway it looks. No quick fix for next year.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
We really need a leader in the forwards not another plodder no disrespect intended to Rudolph but the right forwards could be crucial to our future
Thompson needs to be our leader, we just need someone to partner him that's between do the job/quality, I can't see us spending massive money on another prop (500-600k - max what I believe we'll spend, doesn't get us an elite prop, none "available" anyway).

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Whether we wanted him or not, he has chosen sharks over us. That’s not good.

Benno Bulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thompson needs to be our leader, we just need someone to partner him that's between do the job/quality, I can't see us spending massive money on another prop (500-600k - max what I believe we'll spend, doesn't get us an elite prop, none "available" anyway).
Disagree Thompson excellent but to be aiming top 8 we need leadership to turn the current players care factor

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Disagree Thompson excellent but to be aiming top 8 we need leadership to turn the current players care factor
Marty. Vaughan. Sipley. ...Not elite but looks likely.
Any realistic others?
Why not UK?

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
We have a salary cap to work with. Finucane or Taupau are our next best options. If they fill what you're looking for we're on the same page anyways (we're not going to get a JFH or someone like that).

red-dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Not upset about this one. I'm sure he would have wanted overs to come to the Dogs and I am glad that it hasn't happened. Plus I don't think he's the type of forward we need; surely we have to be throwing the kitchen sink at Tevita Pangai Jnr.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
We won’t be paying overs for anyone mate that would be the main reason
We're most likely going to get the wooden spoon and a team like that and not paying overs doesn't really go well together if you want quality/talent. It can sometimes be a lot better to pay overs than bring in players that're not going to make a difference.