Opinion Thompson

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
I'm not comparing the two that way.

I'm comparing them in the way that it doesn't matter what Elliot does, ill always be an ass or begrudgingly give him his dues.

Just like Thompson, you watch next year if he plays well he will still be shit on. That was the comparison.
lol fair enough. You’re not really wrong about that. The Kennel always needs a scapegoat or three.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
lol fair enough. You’re not really wrong about that. The Kennel always needs a scapegoat or three.
Elliott actually played well tho (even last year). Thompson hasn't shown anything in eight games. Now we hope (F this word) he shows more next year. Elliott is a great value player (our best forward on ~500k). Thompson is on big money so the expectations are higher. If Thompson plays well next year than I think what Haddaway says applies but I think the criticism is warranted currently (depending on what is said of course).

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Yeah its a whole different game here then the esl he's not strong enough or big enough to be through the middle.
He's greatest attribute is his leg speed,with the right coach players can be transformed in using their skill sets.
A playing role like Cordner is possibly his go?

Haddaway

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Elliott actually played well tho (even last year). Thompson hasn't shown anything in eight games. Now we hope (F this word) he shows more next year. Elliott is a great value player (our best forward on ~500k). Thompson is on big money so the expectations are higher. If Thompson plays well next year than I think what Haddaway says applies but I think the criticism is warranted currently (depending on what is said of course).
It applies anyway. Whether it be Thompson, Elliot who ever you want. There are players that it won't matter what they do, they will always be under the TK microscope lol.

I'm a living breathing example lol. There's heaps more like me too, whether they want to admit it or not.

If Thompson plays shit he will be slammed, if he doesn't and plays well he will get praise like this "oh well hes on a huge pay so he should be doing it" or "well he should have done that last year". Its just what the Kennel is. And I love it, makes me have a good chuckle in this shitty lockdown crap haha.

the_insider

Kennel Established
Reaction score
A playing role like Cordner is possibly his go?
Good call though I think with the new rules pure line runners like Cordner are becoming less valuable than guys with abit of footwork, passing, offloads, etc like Kikau, Crichton, Bateman, Liam Martin, Matterson, Su'a, etc

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Good call though I think with the new rules pure line runners like Cordner are becoming less valuable than guys with abit of footwork, passing, offloads, etc like Kikau, Crichton, Bateman, Liam Martin, Matterson, Su'a, etc
Would have to try and develop that after coach gives him something simple to work on that can show instant results for his confidence.

Only other thing I can see development wise is a centre role similar to $BW for him.

He needs to get in there and dominate but is too small to bend the line for front row.

Wodaya do with him? Just have to develop and manufacture a role for him at this stage.

the_insider

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Would have to try and develop that after coach gives him something simple to work on that can show instant results for his confidence.

Only other thing I can see development wise is a centre role similar to $BW for him.

He needs to get in there and dominate but is too small to bend the line for front row.

Wodaya do with him? Just have to develop and manufacture a role for him at this stage.
He'll never, ever be a SBW type centre, athletically and skill wise not even in the same stratosphere. In terms of role I don't think Thompson will never be what we signed him to be nor will be ever be a great power forward but I'd love to see him take abit of a leaf from Cam Murray's game as the mobile lock with foot speed and quick ptb. I think firstly he needs to realise NRL is not super league and he isn't going to be making 15 line breaks a year and scoring 50m tries every 2nd week and just focus on doing the little things right first and then start getting in there and taking the tough hit ups instead of waiting for his moment

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Did anyone see the footage of him at training playing at halfback??!!

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Did anyone see the footage of him at training playing at halfback??!!
yes, he has great foot speed and a good pass, we are using him wrong as a bettering ram. he need to be able to roam as a lock forward

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
I think thommo is a lock just needs to play a different style under better coaching. Thompson lock Elliot moves to the edge with RFM or Stimson /Waddell. Leaves us one prop short as Tolman gone and Napa not far behind.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
yes, he has great foot speed and a good pass, we are using him wrong as a bettering ram. he need to be able to roam as a lock forward
Ehh i saw this coming from a mile away. The club needed a genuine play 1 prop and we ended up with this. I don't think he will be anything more than average through the middle, on an edge maybe he potentially offers more? Just think he lacks the leg drive, late footwork and offload you'd want from a top middle forward.

Cosmo24

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I‘m confident he now realises that you can’t skip leg day and play in the NRL.

He’ll be much, much better next season. Especially if he can convince his mate Walmsley to join us too

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
There was an article yesterday which said he only sees his team mates at training. And barely gets a chance to get to know them.

To be honest guy is serving a prison sentence here. No family or friends. New country. No way to even go out anywhere. Can’t go to a team mates place apparently. It’s only training, games and shopping. Sad existence if true.

Apparently after we are eliminated for 2020 he will be able to start going out and hanging out at cafes and restaurants and is looking forward to catching up with the guys.

Not making an excuse for his substandard performances. But guys get home sick coming from Brisbane to Sydney. Imagine the metal hit this guy would have taken. Hats off to him for sticking in there.

Dogs Of War

On the Warpath
Reaction score
I'm sure Barrett will be able to utilise his skillset better. It's really about creating a role and gameplan around your best players. Playing to their strengths. I see him being our version of Glenn Stewart if used correctly.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Just wanted to update the argument whether Holbrook's results and whether he can qualify as a good coach or not.

No claim was made that he was a top tier coach. And a litmus test for 2021 between the 2 teams has no relevance to evaluating how Holbrook has gone in his first year of NRL fg coaching.

On 3 Sept in the Thompson thread I said Holbrook was going very well. Most pundits have said the same, but DD disagreed.

They were 5-11 then, but now 7-13.
14 Points. Won 7 games.

We are 2-13. 4 Points.
Won 2 games.

By comparison Titans last year won 4 games after 24 games.
Spoon.

I think it's fair to say Holbrook is going well and that GC have def improved this year under Holbrook's coaching, however much we don't want to recognise that fact.Screenshot_20200914-215447_Chrome.jpg

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Just wanted to update the argument whether Holbrook's results and whether he can qualify as a good coach or not.

No claim was made that he was a top tier coach. And a litmus test for 2021 between the 2 teams has no relevance to evaluating how Holbrook has gone in his first year of NRL fg coaching.

On 3 Sept in the Thompson thread I said Holbrook was going very well. Most pundits have said the same, but DD disagreed.

They were 5-11 then, but now 7-13.
14 Points. Won 7 games.

We are 2-13. 4 Points.
Won 2 games.

By comparison Titans last year won 4 games after 24 games.
Spoon.

I think it's fair to say Holbrook is going well and that GC have def improved this year under Holbrook's coaching, however much we don't want to recognise that fact.View attachment 16879
When we won games when we had nothing to play for at the end of last season and the season prior where was the credit for our coach then? You just love drama

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Talking about Holbrook sooky not our coach.

You're more likely to be reading Womans Day btw :grinning:

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Just wanted to update the argument....
91D35624-6E7C-4695-9695-97FA0B62DD59.jpeg
Wendy, my only position on Holbrook is he is not some Messiah that would’ve saved the Bulldogs if he was hired last year as some believe. I’ve never said he’s not a good coach, but the fact remains he’s lost more NRL games than he’s won. I never compared him to any other coach either. Leave me out of your melodrama if you don’t mind. Thanks.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
P
View attachment 16880
Wendy, my only position on Holbrook is he is not some Messiah that would’ve saved the Bulldogs if he was hired last year as some believe. I’ve never said he’s not a good coach, but the fact remains he’s lost more NRL games than he’s won. I never compared him to any other coach either. Leave me out of your melodrama if you don’t mind. Thanks.
Love to leave you out but you replied to my post see above. so I'm now replying.

You guys always think its about Pay and go off on a tangent misrepresenting what posters say.

My post was about Holbrook and how he should be recognised as going very well for his first year.