News Thompson (2-3weeks) & Waddell (1 week) cited

w00t

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Can't do that cause it would be open slather last few rounds of the season if there was no carryover
Then punish proper incidents that are actually worth the crime.

You don't throw a pickpocket in jail for 10 years regardless of how many times he does it, it should never equate the same as a murder or rape charge because the damage done will never be at the same level.

Most of the players rubbed out for extended periods are based on reputation alone with even minor incidents equating to a murder charge. It's utterly stupid.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
These stupid rules are not sustainable for a contact sport. The players association are sitting on their hands and doing diddly.
I blame clowns like Joey for the sissification of the sport. He has a cry every time someone gets injured or hit off the ball and then the NRL overreact and change the rules the next day by suspending everyone.

The game isn't played in slow motion. If you slow mo or freeze frame every tackle you'd suspend everyone.

Birddog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Then punish proper incidents that are actually worth the crime.

You don't throw a pickpocket in jail for 10 years regardless of how many times he does it, it should never equate the same as a murder or rape charge because the damage done will never be at the same level.

Most of the players rubbed out for extended periods are based on reputation alone with even minor incidents equating to a murder charge. It's utterly stupid.
I agree mate, all I'm saying is they have carry points over to the next season and not clear the slate.
They have to get the balance back in the charging system been shit since 2013

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The already undermanned Bulldogs have been dealt another blow up front with both Luke Thompson and Corey Waddell facing bans.

Thompson has been charged with a grade one crusher tackle and is facing two weeks out with the early plea and three if found guilty at the panel.

The Bulldogs front rower had only recently returned from suspension and had three prior non-similar offences in the last two years which contributed to the charge on Sunday.
Trent Barrett will not be happy having told media on Saturday that he hoped Thompson would not be punished for the crusher tackle on Chris Randall.

“I would hate to see Luke Thompson go again for something like that because he does work really hard on it,” Barrett said.

We want to get that out of our game and we work really hard not to put the ball-carrier in that position.

“We do work really hard on popping their head out and making sure we don’t put that tackled player in a vulnerable position but a lot of players can get their head back in there too and get a penalty.”

Waddell is also facing one week on the sideline, regardless of whether he takes the early plea or not, for contrary conduct on Kalyn Ponga.

In this case, the incident in question saw Waddell placed on report for a headgear pull on the Knights fullback.

Waddell was also charged for dangerous contact on Mitch Barnett but is only facing a fine.

It is a tough blow for the Bulldogs who had already called on Raiders loan players Ryan James and Corey Horsburgh for the past fortnight following suspensions to Jack Hetherington and Dylan Napa.
Fair dinkum! I've seen players from other teams throw our players boots into the crowd this year & nothing. And Waddell tugs on protected species head gear & gets a week! You have to be joking!

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
We are coming last so no one really cares if we have a player or 3 rubbed out.

These rules have the potential to rob teams in the semi finals of their best players for non intentional minor indiscretions - I guess it’s a double edged sword with guys like Vlandys because his very large EGO will see him continue to double down on his decision good bad or ugly!!
Yeah, but just wait for the week before the finals & during the finals. You will see the crack downs disappear into a puff of smoke.

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
So in 23 games this year involving Canterbury, there have been 51 charges, 29 of them Canterbury players. Both are records for our club by a LONG way.

Suspensions
23 weeks Canterbury
15 weeks Other

Fines
$22,450 Canterbury
$18,900 Other

What a joke!

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I also just looked at all 4 incidents where players were charged.

1. Luke Thompson's was harsh & there were others by Newcastle in the game similar that weren't charged.
2. David Klemmer was VERY harsh. He resented something in the tackle & lashed out at Thompson twice. I wouldn't have noticed it if it wasn't charged.
3. Corey Waddell was VERY harsh - pulling at the head gear! Please!
4. Corey Waddell late tackle on Barnett. It was there but so were 2 or 3 from Newcastle too, so no consistency yet again.

All 3 of ours penalised but not Klemmers.

JackDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
So if he got suspended, what happens if the club calls bullshit and puts him out on the field next week regardless?

Big fine? Who cares.

Forfeit the game? Can't, got media committments.

Kick us out of the league? No chance in hell they'd do that, be lawyers at 10 paces and the NRL is bleeding money now as it is.

Whatever happens, it would bring it to a head. As usual with the NRL, they have good intentions, but its not what they do but how they do it.

Cujo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Any sort of charge and he's fucked, might be time to just cut him loose.
Maybe...as long as we don't end up paying significant freight to get rid of ...we are way better off keeping Heatherington anyway don't you think MD??

dekepefc

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I also just looked at all 4 incidents where players were charged.

1. Luke Thompson's was harsh & there were others by Newcastle in the game similar that weren't charged.
2. David Klemmer was VERY harsh. He resented something in the tackle & lashed out at Thompson twice. I wouldn't have noticed it if it wasn't charged.
3. Corey Waddell was VERY harsh - pulling at the head gear! Please!
4. Corey Waddell late tackle on Barnett. It was there but so were 2 or 3 from Newcastle too, so no consistency yet again.

All 3 of ours penalised but not Klemmers.
Klems was probably a square up for the nrl missing fifita incident. Basically looking for him lashing out with his arms

Ronaway

New Pup
Reaction score
In Super league Thompson was hard but never dirty.His discipline was good over here at Saints.Having watched the incident you would have players banned every week in the UK if games were reffed the same.No intent at all,it’s a contact sport not tick rugby.RL is going to end up like Union where they are penalised for virtually anything other than a below the knee tackle!.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
In Super league Thompson was hard but never dirty.His discipline was good over here at Saints.Having watched the incident you would have players banned every week in the UK if games were reffed the same.No intent at all,it’s a contact sport not tick rugby.RL is going to end up like Union where they are penalised for virtually anything other than a below the knee tackle!.
Tackling below the knee is actually illegal in some cases! :tearsofjoy:

gazza

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The tackling technique needs to change. Not just the dogs but the whole league. Get rid of the wrestling. Anything above shoulder is an automatic penalty. That will get players back to tackling lower with less wrestling. And to achieve that will mean reducing the 10 metres (often more like 15 metres with some refs) back to 5 metres. And stop the tackled player moving forward off the mark before playing the ball. The next thing I see is mandatory wearing of head gear to reduce head clashes.

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
The tackling technique needs to change. Not just the dogs but the whole league. Get rid of the wrestling. Anything above shoulder is an automatic penalty. That will get players back to tackling lower with less wrestling. And to achieve that will mean reducing the 10 metres (often more like 15 metres with some refs) back to 5 metres. And stop the tackled player moving forward off the mark before playing the ball. The next thing I see is mandatory wearing of head gear to reduce head clashes.
Any forceful or initial contact above the shoulders - including the jui jitsu pressure on the neck head lock- should be an immediate penalty.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I know that Waddell is not a favourite here on the kennel but checking his charges from last weekend;

Waddell has copped a one-week ban for the contrary conduct offence, disturbing the head gear of he golden child . Waddell also received a fine of $1350 for a dangerous contact incident on Mitch Barnett in the loss to the Knights.

A ban for pulling head gear and a fine for dangerous contact???? WTF????

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
With Elliott, Thompson, Waddell and the two Raiders gone it's another extremely under strength team to face Turbo again and that ain't going to be pretty........