Thinking exercise. Best dogs team of all time?

OldDogFan

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is the team I'd love to see run out for us. Doesn't matter if Baa's toe-poking goals at 60% cause there's tries galore and not a loss in sight!

Ben Barba
Josh Addo Carr
Josh Morris
Tony Currie
Nigel Vagana
Terry Lamb
Steve Mortimer
Andrew Ryan
Sonny Bill Williams
Viliame Kikau
David Gillespie
Damian Cook
James Graham

Johnathan Thurston
Willie Mason
Mark O'Meley
Geoff Robinson
I am glad you included Geoff Robinson. Both he and "cement" Gillespie were two of the toughest hombres to ever wear blue and white.

Typical dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Alright here's the clear winner... Hahaha

1. Patten
2. Ado Carr
3. Jmoz
4. Vagana
5. Elmasri
6. Lamb
7. Thurston
8. Mason
9. Hethrington
10. Omealy
11. Bobcat
12. SBW
13. Clyde

14. Ennis
15. Price
16. Kasiano
17. Graham

lovemachine

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Your rules are shit. Go add 10kgs muscle and some speed to every player in bygone eras cuz they certainly would have given today's training methods and time in training. If you just want to exclude everyone prior to 1995 because you're biased just say so.
It’s not a shot rule it is the rule. I didn’t make a fantasy thread about a fantasy team blended from all eras I’m talking about a team that can take the field NOW why is that hard to comprehend for u?

Also and this is just asidd note u r dead wrong that every player just needs 10 kilos of muscle and they would be genuine stars of today becauseby that logic every 7s player for Fiji or Australia or NZ would be an nrl superstar and why aren’t they? It pays Weller than 7s.
Why not get Carlin isles? He’s a 10 flat sprinter. Surely ‘just add ten kilos’ and he is magical nrl star?

hell why stop there? Why don’t we raid touch footy for halfbacks?

We can not be sure taht lez johns or Mortimer or Farrar and that will adapt as maybe the game suited them in their era and not th other way round.

lovemachine

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Alright here's the clear winner... Hahaha

1. Patten
2. Ado Carr
3. Jmoz
4. Vagana
5. Elmasri
6. Lamb
7. Thurston
8. Mason
9. Hethrington
10. Omealy
11. Bobcat
12. SBW
13. Clyde

14. Ennis
15. Price
16. Kasiano
17. Graham
Good team but I have a genuine question as I do t remember was Clyde a star for the dogs or was he a has been by the team he came to us?

OldDogFan

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It’s not a shot rule it is the rule. I didn’t make a fantasy thread about a fantasy team blended from all eras I’m talking about a team that can take the field NOW why is that hard to comprehend for u?
If it's not a fantasy thread about a fantasy team blended from sll eras and you want to name a team that can take the field NOW, then you can only choose who is available NOW. Why is that hard for you to comprehend?

Typical dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good team but I have a genuine question as I do t remember was Clyde a star for the dogs or was he a has been by the team he came to us?
Definitely had his peak at Canberra, if I had to choose a replacement lock for Clyde I would put Jammer at lock and bring in Asotasi onto the bench

MirandaDog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Thread is called Best dogs team of all time….but don’t select anyone I have never heard of or seen play coz they’re obviously either divisive, couldn’t cop now or sh1t. Loverboy you prove every time you write something that you don’t need a long neck to be a …

Dingo

Go the dogs
Gilded
Reaction score

Also and this is just asidd note u r dead wrong that every player just needs 10 kilos of muscle and they would be genuine stars of today becauseby that logic every 7s player for Fiji or Australia or NZ would be an nrl superstar and why aren’t they? It pays Weller than 7s.
Why not get Carlin isles? He’s a 10 flat sprinter. Surely ‘just add ten kilos’ and he is magical nrl star?

hell why stop there? Why don’t we raid touch footy for halfbacks?

We can not be sure taht lez johns or Mortimer or Farrar and that will adapt as maybe the game suited them in their era and not th other way round.
Sorry I don't comprehend your moronic drivel.

DaBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
So would you be comfortable with the Steve Mortimer of 1983 being implanted into todays team for round 1 2023? As is?
No mate, but you named it the best dogs team of all time. You might have named it the best team for the modern game, then you would have not as much objections to your team.

stevesonthebay

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Here is a thought provoking one, for the off season and that is who is the best bulldogs team of all time you would choose to represent you if your life depended on it.

Here are the rules.
1. Must have played for the doggs
2. You can choose them as they were at the peak of their bulldogg power.
3. This side must be selected as they are/were to play the game today. So don’t get clever and try to pick some 1960s player u saw as a kid unless u think they can play the modern game as it is today.
4. You can f around and find out with positions. Like what I do with Burton below.

here is my team.
to represent my life.

1.Rod Silva
2. Brett Morris
3. Josh Morris
4. Matt Burton
5. Josh Addo Foxx
6. Terry Lamb
7. Ben Kimmorley
8. James Graham
9.Ennis
10. Mark O meley
11. Willie Mason
12. Sonny Bill
13. James Graham
-
14. Ben Barba
15. Roy Asotasi
16. TPJ
17. Braith Anasta
Some notable exclusions: Steve Mortimer, Patten, El Masri, Peponis, Les Johns, Kevin Ryan, Gillespie, Langmack, Price and Thurston. Also though not Canterbury originals player like Bobby McCartney, Bradley Clyde and Tricky Ricky are up there. As for coach its got to be Gus I reckon.

Woofwoof1980

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Here is a thought provoking one, for the off season and that is who is the best bulldogs team of all time you would choose to represent you if your life depended on it.

Here are the rules.
3. This side must be selected as they are/were to play the game today. So don’t get clever and try to pick some 1960s player u saw as a kid unless u think they can play the modern game as it is today.
4. You can f around and find out with positions. Like what I do with Burton below.

here is my team.
to represent my life.

1.Rod Silva
2. Brett Morris
3. Josh Morris
4. Matt Burton
5. Josh Addo Foxx
6. Terry Lamb
7. Ben Kimmorley
8. James Graham
9.Ennis
10. Mark O meley
11. Willie Mason
12. Sonny Bill
13. James Graham
-
14. Ben Barba
15. Roy Asotasi
16. TPJ
17. Braith Anasta
Surely you have to include either El Masri or Halligun as they almost guarantee an extra 2 points... and who the fuck is "Ben" Kimmorley. Brett came to us at the end of his career and certainly not the height of his power. If it's just players who played for us at any point of their career and not at the peak of their careers then how do you leave Thurston out of the team?. TBH this thread is kinda pointless... but you do you.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score

Here are the rules.

here is my team.
to represent my life.

1.Rod Silva
2. Brett Morris
3. Josh Morris
4. Matt Burton
5. Josh Addo Foxx
6. Terry Lamb
7. Ben Kimmorley
8. James Graham
9.Ennis
10. Mark O meley
11. Willie Mason
12. Sonny Bill
13. James Graham
-
14. Ben Barba
15. Roy Asotasi
16. TPJ
17. Braith Anasta
I'm guessing you were born in the 90s if you didn't pick Mortimer.

Woofwoof1980

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I'm guessing you were born in the 90s if you didn't pick Mortimer.
We don't really have any bulldogs greats in our team right now... his team really does show his age... and this idea of the modern game is really ignorant.... don't forget most of the players in the 80s had full time jobs. How far has sports science come? It's just a dumb argument. How good would baa and Mortimer just to name a few be, if they trained, recovered and analysed every breakdown in the game like its done today?

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Every time Steve is brought up people get emotional and then there is debate whether he suits the modern game or not.
Please drop the BS ….. you’re the only one I’ve seen get emotional and debate whether Steve would suit this so called modern game or not.

Whether they play tomorrow, yesterday, 10 years ago, for your life, or whatever, every Bulldogs fan knows Steve Mortimer and Terry Lamb are without a doubt the best two players we’ve ever had lace on the boots for this club, if both were able to play this season, they’d train accordingly and be as good as they ever were, to leave either of anything called a “Best Ever” list, is ridiculous ..

In whatever era, if the game or “your life” was on the line, these are the 2 players you’d want wearing the blue and white beside you to get you the win …

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Easy just bomb to Utais wing and run at Mortimer
This is your most naive comment ever !

Do you really think they didn’t try this tactic on Turvey back in the day, elbows, foreheads, knees and what ever they could use … [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Your talking arguably the toughest era of rugby league ever, they’d take your head of if they could, and don’t ask about what went on in and around scrums to take a player out or put him off his game …

Whilst Steve Mortimer was obviously a great player for us some forget how tough he was ..

They’d run at him all game, he’d out step them, put a chip over the top, punch one through and out speed them and he was a brilliant defender no matter what size player he was tackling ..

Also Matt Utai was brilliant for us, yes in the end they continued to bomb to his wing, but you shouldn’t only take that negative from his time as a Bulldog, he scored try’s and and won us games where most wouldn’t have …

Easy …. just run at Mortimer [emoji23][emoji23]

Last edited:

lovemachine

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Please drop the BS ….. you’re the only one I’ve seen get emotional and debate whether Steve would suit this so called modern game or not.

Whether they play tomorrow, yesterday, 10 years ago, for your life, or whatever, every Bulldogs fan knows Steve Mortimer and Terry Lamb are without a doubt the best two players we’ve ever had lace on the boots for this club, if both were able to play this season, they’d train accordingly and be as good as they ever were, to leave either of anything called a “Best Ever” list, is ridiculous ..

In whatever era, if the game or “your life” was on the line, these are the 2 players you’d want wearing the blue and white beside you to get you the win …
You can have that opinion it is your right. My
Opinion is Mortimer would not be ready for the modern game and may never will be

lovemachine

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is your most naive comment ever !

Do you really think they didn’t try this tactic on Turvey back in the day, elbows, foreheads, knees and what ever they could use … [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Your talking arguably the toughest era of rugby league ever, they’d take your head of if they could, and don’t ask about what went on in and around scrums to take a player out or put him off his game …

Whilst Steve Mortimer was obviously a great player for us some forget how tough he was ..

They’d run at him all game, he’d out step them, put a chip over the top, punch one through and out speed them and he was a brilliant defender no matter what size player he was tackling ..

Also Matt Utai was brilliant for us, yes in the end they continued to bomb to his wing, but you shouldn’t only take that negative from his time as a Bulldog, he scored try’s and and won us games where most wouldn’t have …

Easy …. just run at Mortimer [emoji23][emoji23]
No one chips and chases any more unfortunately. That is actually a clue Steve isn’t suited as he wouldn’t get away with that today.
I’m not questioning he was great in his era but that was an era of 90 kilo props. Mortimer never tackled Talakai.
And yes, Utai was brilliant for us at one stafe, then he got solved almost overnight which was remarkable. Went from ‘playa’ to dud in the space of two games. I’m not sure why he didn’t move to the centres or one of the hookers.
Unfortunately though for this reason you can’t select him in your greatest team of all time that takes the field tomorrow (as per OP rules- thinking exercise) for this reason. 6ft wingers would have a field day.