They were not Star players, but enjoyed watching them.

Yougra

Kennel Established
Reaction score
How did I forget him...
I will never forget the day he played in all 3 grades against Newtown at Henson park,
He must have set up and scored about 10 tries on that day !
He was fantastic to watch. I remember going to Belmore watching all 3 grades and reserve grade was always exciting watching him play. So small but so elusive. He really was a try scoring machine. Unfortunately for him he was stuck behind Steve Mortimer. Ahh, great days and great memories:grinning:

CeeEss

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I remember a game at Belmore probably late 1970s when I was a kid Dogs V Cronulla. Steve Hage was a tough second rower for the Dogs who played for NSW that year I think. A second rower for the Sharks was called Steve Kneen who went on to play for Australia that year (and Kangaroo tour from memory). Kneen was known as a tough nut too. When Hage was playing the ball Kneen gave Hage a bit of a tap across the head. Hage smiled at him. The next time Kneen ran the ball Hage tackled him and I don't know what Hage did but Kneen was carried off on a stretcher. Was funny enough for me to still remember.
I was at this game Brad, one of my earliest memories at Belmore. It happened right in front of me in front of the scoreboard, I don't know what Hage did but he absolutely destroyed Kneen that day.

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fuck you must be older than me!! Although I do remember Stan Cutler.
Dam their must be a fair few seniors on TK, Someone should start a thread on the contributors ages. I'm not ashamed of admitting mine.

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
1966 vintage here, my first grand final i attended was 1979 when we was fuggen ROBBED by that little prick Greg Hartley(i think).
Most players i rate have been mentioned including Jason Williams he was bloody good and better than ever got rated.Robbo too what a legend and had no fear, my old man had some work association with him as he was a truckie and reckons he was quiet as a mouse and a top bloke.
Although not underrated i loved Crackers, met him a few times at the leagues club good bloke and back in the day a big bastard for a centre.He smashed wide running forwards for fun...

eagle66

Waterboy
Reaction score
Max Brown, Rod Jackson and Dennis Ward. Dennis loves the Club even though they didn't try to keep him.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Greg Brentnall, now there's a blast from the past, another Turvey Park boy, played 108 games for us, a one team player, we pinched him from VFL and he retired when he was only 26. He had a decent rep career as well, 3 games for Country, 3 games for City (how does that happen), 4 x SOO's and 13 games for Australia. Rothmans Medal winner in 1982, our first ever. No one before or after I have heard kick the football so hard, you could hear the THUD from the sidelines at Belmore when his foot made contact with leather.

1607570003720.png

Go Dogs

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Simon Gilles is the most underrated Bulldogs player to ever wear the jersey.
I wouldn't say he was underrated by dogs fans - guy was captain, and used to have a food stand at Belmore named after him (the Gillies Grill). Played with a lot of heart, and a shame he never got to play in the 98 Grand final which would have been his last game for the Club.

Perhaps i followed him and his bothers more closely as we went to neighboring schools and so i heard a lot about him as a junior playing for Yanco Agricultural High.

Pity the only SoO he played was for Super League in 1997.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I remember a game against Newton when Steve Hage need Paul Hayward in the nuts. Paul who was a tough nuggety type 5/8 went berserk. Chase Steve off & on ball for the next 20 minutes before being sent off. Hayward was later arrested in Thailand for trafficking heroin.
Agree with Alan Geelong, sensational as a youngster & thought he would develop into a real gun player

Typical dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wouldn't say he was underrated by dogs fans - guy was captain, and used to have a food stand at Belmore named after him (the Gillies Grill). Played with a lot of heart, and a shame he never got to play in the 98 Grand final which would have been his last game for the Club.

Perhaps i followed him and his bothers more closely as we went to neighboring schools and so i heard a lot about him as a junior playing for Yanco Agricultural High.

Pity the only SoO he played was for Super League in 1997.
Yeah dogs fans definitely rate him but alot of other fans wouldn't even remember the bloke. I thought he was best on field in alot of games I watched in 95, including the GF. The bloke was everywhere on a footy field and would clean up the mess.

Gilles grill.... That's gold

Noeasyday

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Luke Patten, Brent Sherwin and Toni Grimaldi